    This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.
    joevan, Aug 17, 2010

  2. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/17/2010 3:03 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    > try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    It's for SP3, do you have that installed?

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Aug 17, 2010

  3. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:

    The subject content is not part of the message body. Here; I'll paste a
    missing essential component down here in the message body for you.

    Subject: xp KB981852

    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop.

    This is an inadequate troubleshooting report. It doesn't tell what
    happens or what kind of alert or error message you got.

    Please paste any error messages into a new message with the name of the
    update properly in the message body.

    > Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    > try next.

    kb 958051 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958051 You may receive a
    "0x8007F0F4" error code when you try to install updates from the Windows
    Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site

    .... which my pasting that kb is a waste of my time if that isn't the
    message you received which you didn't tell us about while you weren't
    composing your message body properly.

    Start your new message thread questions by typing in the message body,
    not the subject first. Only use complete sentences in the message body
    and provide sufficient background - which you also didn't do here.

    Then and only then make a very brief title for your message body and put
    that title into the subject.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2010
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:14:09 -0500, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/17/2010 3:03 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    >> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    >> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    >It's for SP3, do you have that installed?

    Yes sp3 is included in my setup disk. I also just checked in my
    computer and it is there.
    joevan, Aug 17, 2010
  5. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:

    >>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop.

    > Yes sp3 is included in my setup disk. I also just checked in my
    > computer and it is there.

    Where's the part which describes whatever is the (actual) problem?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2010
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:15:51 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >The subject content is not part of the message body. Here; I'll paste a
    >missing essential component down here in the message body for you.
    >
    >Subject: xp KB981852
    >
    >> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop.

    >This is an inadequate troubleshooting report. It doesn't tell what
    >happens or what kind of alert or error message you got.
    >
    >Please paste any error messages into a new message with the name of the
    >update properly in the message body.
    >
    >> Tried google
    >> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    >> try next.

    >kb 958051 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958051 You may receive a
    >"0x8007F0F4" error code when you try to install updates from the Windows
    >Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
    >
    >... which my pasting that kb is a waste of my time if that isn't the
    >message you received which you didn't tell us about while you weren't
    >composing your message body properly.
    >
    >Start your new message thread questions by typing in the message body,
    >not the subject first. Only use complete sentences in the message body
    >and provide sufficient background - which you also didn't do here.
    >
    >Then and only then make a very brief title for your message body and put
    >that title into the subject.

    The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
    and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)
    joevan, Aug 17, 2010
  7. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should try
    > next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    If you're not having problems try not doing anything.

    Meat Plow, Aug 17, 2010
  8. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:

    > The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
    > and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)

    What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
    installed?

    Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
    installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.

    That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you are
    getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
    notification that it is not installed.

    I'll have to search about how to do that.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2010
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:53:57 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
    >> and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)

    >What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
    >installed?
    >
    >Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
    >installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.
    >
    >That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you are
    >getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
    >notification that it is not installed.
    >
    >I'll have to search about how to do that.

    I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
    code 0x8007F0F4. copy pasted it to the ms groups in the update section
    but it says nothing found. Maybe I will just live with that stupid
    thing on my taskbar.
    joevan, Aug 17, 2010
  10. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
    >>> and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)

    >> What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
    >> installed?

    The updates place is in Add/Remove programs with Updates checked.

    > I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
    > code 0x8007F0F4.

    I don't understand yet.

    If you go to Add/Remove programs, is the update listed or not listed
    when you check the updates function. That is a yes/no question.

    > Maybe I will just live with that stupid
    > thing on my taskbar.

    If the update is listed in add/remove, here is the technique for fixing
    the mistaken notification.

    MS answers: Windows > Windows Forums > Windows XP Forums > Install,
    upgrade and activate > KB981852 Repeat Install

    http://peek.snipr.com/10pepm

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2010
  11. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:53:57 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
    >>> and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)

    >>What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
    >>installed?
    >>
    >>Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
    >>installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.
    >>
    >>That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you
    >>are getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
    >>notification that it is not installed.
    >>
    >>I'll have to search about how to do that.

    > I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
    > code 0x8007F0F4. copy pasted it to the ms groups in the update section
    > but it says nothing found. Maybe I will just live with that stupid
    > thing on my taskbar.

    Why is it that *whenever* someone gets one of these stupid MS error
    numbers, they *never* give the message or notice it?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 17, 2010
  12. joevan

    John Holmes Guest

    joevan "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Maybe I will just live with that stupid
    > thing on my taskbar.

    I would *never* live with any stupid thing on my taskbar. I'd search and
    search till I find the culprit. After all, that's what make computers fun,
    eh?

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Aug 17, 2010
  13. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:09:41 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > joevan <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:53:57 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
    >>>installed?
    >>>
    >>>Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
    >>>installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.
    >>>
    >>>That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you
    >>>are getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
    >>>notification that it is not installed.
    >>>
    >>>I'll have to search about how to do that.

    >> I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
    >> code 0x8007F0F4. copy pasted it to the ms groups in the update section
    >> but it says nothing found. Maybe I will just live with that stupid
    >> thing on my taskbar.

    > Why is it that *whenever* someone gets one of these stupid MS error
    > numbers, they *never* give the message or notice it?

    So you'll get out your TAO cards and conjure up a solution?

    Meat Plow, Aug 17, 2010
  14. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    > try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    Sometimes one file will not install properly while doing the update.

    Check the update and see if all the files were updated properly. (Dates)
    Buffalo, Aug 17, 2010
  15. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:42:06 -0600, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    >> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    >> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    >Sometimes one file will not install properly while doing the update.
    >
    >Check the update and see if all the files were updated properly. (Dates)

    I finally got my agent back on the old work horse.
    Now I have checked the updates and it is not listed. I wonder if I
    should just forget about trying to install that update. It does get
    under my skin though. Questioning mind wants to know why.
    joevan, Aug 18, 2010
  16. joevan

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should try
    > next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of shit "OS".

    Get it here: http://www.slackware.com

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he declared his horse a Senator.
    Dan C, Aug 18, 2010
  17. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried
    >> google and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I
    >> should try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    > Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of shit "OS".

    Hey Dan, I think even Linux is even advanced enough to allow a format. :)
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Aug 18, 2010
  18. joevan

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:54:36 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    >>> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    >>> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    >> Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of shit "OS".
    >>

    > Hey Dan, I think even Linux is even advanced enough to allow a format.
    > :) Buffalo

    Bugger off, Win-droid.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet refused to give him some Pooh-tang.
    Dan C, Aug 18, 2010
  19. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:03:52 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    >> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    >> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    > I[SLAP]

    Fucking trolls. And suggesting that bloated POS Slackware. **** it
    wouldn't even boot on this quad core AMD PhenomII 955.

    Meat Plow, Aug 18, 2010
  20. joevan <> via

    > This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
    > and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
    > try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

    "A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated
    remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can
    help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
    install this update, you may have to restart your system."

    Download the installer... Google for the KB981852 :

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E3574047-5CE5-4461-
    94AA-4EB3258D5E71&displaylang=en

    Boot into Safe mode...

    Now install it. Then blame it on BP and file your claim.
    Feedback as you wish...

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and this transmission
    was generated using a near-zero carbon footprint!

    http://www.theyost.com/images/viral/zero_carbon.gif

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 18, 2010