    that are known to be from illegal copies

    MARK STACHIEW
    The Gazette

    Wednesday, October 06, 2004

    Q: I thought that Microsoft was going to make Service Pack 2 available to
    all XP users, licensed or unlicensed. I can't download the service pack and
    get an error message stating that my product key number is invalid. Where
    can I get Service Pack 2?

    A: In the months leading to the release of SP2, a senior Microsoft executive
    was quoted as saying that his company would allow any user to download it,
    whether or not they were running a legitimate copy of Windows XP. His
    comment was quickly retracted and Microsoft stated that the service pack was
    only for paying customers.

    They have since eased off a bit and are making SP2 available to anyone who
    wants it, but have blocked registration codes that are known to be from
    pirated copies.

    Some critics complained that since there were so many people running pirated
    copies of the operating system, that restricting them from the bug fixes of
    SP2 would only further help spread the numerous viruses that target XP's
    security holes.

    Microsoft countered that as critical fixes become available for Windows that
    are security-related, anyone can download them from their Windows update
    site at http://www.windowsupdate.com.

    That could change as the company has recently introduced an initiative known
    as the Windows Genuine Advantage program. Visitors to Microsoft's site are
    invited to test whether or not their copy of Windows is legitimate.

    If it's not, they are encouraged to buy a licensed copy. There is a
    possibility that in the future, users may be asked to pass this test before
    they can download anything from Microsoft's support site.

    If you cannot install SP2 because you have an invalid key, then chances are
    good you are running an illegal copy. If you know it is legitimate, simply
    call their support line at 1-888-SP2-HELP for assistance.

    S S S
    Conundrum, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Conundrum

    Pennywise Guest

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:58:42 -0400, "Conundrum"
    <> wrote:

    |>Pirated copies of Windows XP cannot install Service Pack 2
    |>Paying customers only: Microsoft. Company has blocked registration codes
    |>that are known to be from illegal copies
    |>
    |> MARK STACHIEW
    |> The Gazette
    |>

    |>Wednesday, October 06, 2004

    Next time leave cits, closest I got was http://tinyurl.com/6fskn
    Claims were made that I questioned and wanted to read the article
    itself.

    |>If you cannot install SP2 because you have an invalid key, then chances are
    |>good you are running an illegal copy. If you know it is legitimate, simply
    |>call their support line at 1-888-SP2-HELP for assistance.

    Or if you have a pirated copy you can just Have the SP2 CD mail'd to
    you. http://tinyurl.com/6g675
    Pennywise, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Conundrum

    Conundrum Guest

    Pennywise <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:58:42 -0400, "Conundrum"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Pirated copies of Windows XP cannot install Service Pack 2
    >>> Paying customers only: Microsoft. Company has blocked registration
    >>> codes that are known to be from illegal copies
    >>>
    >>> MARK STACHIEW
    >>> The Gazette
    >>>

    >>> Wednesday, October 06, 2004
    >>>

    > Next time leave cits, closest I got was http://tinyurl.com/6fskn
    > Claims were made that I questioned and wanted to read the article
    > itself.

    Here
    http://snipurl.com/9m7f

    >>> If you cannot install SP2 because you have an invalid key, then
    >>> chances are good you are running an illegal copy. If you know it is
    >>> legitimate, simply call their support line at 1-888-SP2-HELP for
    >>> assistance.

    > Or if you have a pirated copy you can just Have the SP2 CD mail'd to
    > you. http://tinyurl.com/6g675

    Why would I want to do that?
    I'll help them when they help fix some of the bugs still in XP lol.

    And yes Penny I do have a pirated copy,and 3 licensed copies. To be honest
    the pirate copy is on a partition used for testing so if something goes
    wrong it's no big deal.
    Conundrum, Oct 8, 2004