    Messenger but IE, Firefox and so on, get nowhere. Any thoughts please?
    --
    Puzzled person
    Steve, Apr 17, 2008

  2. Steve

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 17, 1:17 pm, Steve <.(nospam)> wrote:
    > Laptop, XP Pro, internal wireless adapter.  Connects OK - will access eg..
    > Yahoo Messenger, can look at other PC going through the same router - BUT -
    > will not go to any URL I type in - gives me page not found or suchlike.
    > However, it is connected and must get outside the router here to use Yahoo
    > Messenger but IE, Firefox and so on, get nowhere.  Any thoughts please?
    > --
    > Puzzled person

    We are also puzzled on this? Please clarify your post. Were you
    responding to someone else?
    smlunatick, Apr 17, 2008

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    No unfortunately not. I managed to fix it once - I have an.exe which may
    have fixed it in the past but doesn't seem to do anything - maybe my memory
    is failing me. If you want to give me your email address, I can send you it
    as an attachment. but it is a while ago and although it doesn't do any
    damage (and did fix something) I can't remember that long ago. It is
    something like Winsock Fix(does something in the registry). You're welcome
    to try!
    --
    Puzzled person

    Steve, Apr 17, 2008
  4. Steve

    Lem Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Laptop, XP Pro, internal wireless adapter. Connects OK - will access eg.
    > Yahoo Messenger, can look at other PC going through the same router - BUT -
    > will not go to any URL I type in - gives me page not found or suchlike.
    > However, it is connected and must get outside the router here to use Yahoo
    > Messenger but IE, Firefox and so on, get nowhere. Any thoughts please?

    Using IE or Firefox, enter 209.85.129.99 in the address bar. If that
    gets you to Google, you may have a problem with your hosts file. See
    this from MS-MVP Chuck:
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/07/local-name-and-address-resolution-on.html

    Otherwise, you *may* have LSP/Winsock corruption, which frequently is
    caused by malware or by removal of malware. The Winsock Fix application
    you mentioned is one of several possible fixes for this. See this, also
    from MS-MVP Chuck:
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html

    I suggest you read through the entire pages linked above before you
    start randomly trying things.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 17, 2008
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks - I'll have a good look at what you suggest and let you know. Very
    helpful!

    Steve
    --
    Puzzled person