    Sorry to ask, but I've never been asked to do this before on someone's pc
    using XP.

    Netty
    Netty, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Netty

    Mark Guest

    All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    listened as Netty said...
    > Hi
    >
    > If a pc has a pirate copy of XP Pro on it and I want to put a legal version
    > of XP home edition on it, is it straightforward to do? (ie insert cd and
    > follow installation instructions) Or will I have to format or fdisk the hard
    > drive first?
    >
    > Sorry to ask, but I've never been asked to do this before on someone's pc
    > using XP.
    >
    > Netty

    You can call Microsoft and have them issue a legitimate XP Pro key to
    you. You will have to pay for it though. Unfortunately, there is no
    way to roll down to XP Home.
    --
    The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
    Great Speed, Great Retention
    Mark, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Netty

    Netty Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    > listened as Netty said...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If a pc has a pirate copy of XP Pro on it and I want to put a legal
    >> version
    >> of XP home edition on it, is it straightforward to do? (ie insert cd and
    >> follow installation instructions) Or will I have to format or fdisk the
    >> hard
    >> drive first?
    >>
    >> Sorry to ask, but I've never been asked to do this before on someone's pc
    >> using XP.
    >>
    >> Netty
    >>

    > You can call Microsoft and have them issue a legitimate XP Pro key to
    > you. You will have to pay for it though. Unfortunately, there is no
    > way to roll down to XP Home.
    > --

    So even if I reformat/fdisk my hd, I can't install XP home? I'm sorry, but I
    just don't believe it can't be done.

    Netty
    Netty, Aug 1, 2007
  4. Netty

    meerkat Guest

    "Netty" <netty@???.hello.com> wrote in message news:f8qmli$p48$...

    > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >> All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    >> listened as Netty said...
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> If a pc has a pirate copy of XP Pro on it and I want to put a legal
    >>> version
    >>> of XP home edition on it, is it straightforward to do? (ie insert cd and
    >>> follow installation instructions) Or will I have to format or fdisk the
    >>> hard
    >>> drive first?
    >>>
    >>> Sorry to ask, but I've never been asked to do this before on someone's
    >>> pc
    >>> using XP.
    >>>
    >>> Netty
    >>>

    > So even if I reformat/fdisk my hd, I can't install XP home? I'm sorry, but
    > I just don't believe it can't be done.

    Of course you can Netty.
    Just makes sure you`ve saved anything you wish to keep First.

    bw..
    meerkat, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Netty

    Netty Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "Netty" <netty@???.hello.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >>> All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    >>> listened as Netty said...

    >> So even if I reformat/fdisk my hd, I can't install XP home? I'm sorry,
    >> but I just don't believe it can't be done.
    >>

    > Of course you can Netty.
    > Just makes sure you`ve saved anything you wish to keep First.
    >
    > bw..

    I thought I could. But not knowing a great deal about XP, I thought I'd ask.
    Question is, how on earth can I format a pc with XP pro on it? When using
    previous Windows programs (95/98) it was easy to get to the C: prompt but I
    have no idea with XP. I have been told to use the XP disk but surely this
    will just reload XP again, or will it??

    Netty
    Netty, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Netty

    meerkat Guest

    "Netty" <netty@???.hello.com> wrote in message news:f8qofu$ufr$...

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Netty" <netty@???.hello.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <> wrote in message

    >>> So even if I reformat/fdisk my hd, I can't install XP home? I'm sorry,
    >>> but I just don't believe it can't be done.
    >>>

    >> Of course you can Netty.
    >> Just makes sure you`ve saved anything you wish to keep First.
    >>
    >> bw..
    >>

    > I thought I could. But not knowing a great deal about XP, I thought I'd
    > ask. Question is, how on earth can I format a pc with XP pro on it? When
    > using previous Windows programs (95/98) it was easy to get to the C:
    > prompt but I have no idea with XP. I have been told to use the XP disk but
    > surely this will just reload XP again, or will it??

    Go here and d/load a WinME boot disk (hope you have a
    floppy drive).

    Boot up with that, and do your fdisk.
    Then load your XP CD.
    meerkat, Aug 1, 2007