    Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    problem.

    TIA for any suggestions.
    freakin' out, Jan 2, 2005

  2. freakin' out

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:05:43 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'
    > wrote:

    >I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    >
    >Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up is
    >starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take? Have
    >left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    >
    >Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    >
    >Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs, including
    >copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but installation
    >still freezes at same stage.
    >
    >Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    >problem.
    >
    >TIA for any suggestions.

    What is the make of your computer? How much ram, how much disk space
    is available? More information might be most helpful.
    joevan, Jan 2, 2005

  3. freakin' out

    freakin' out Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:05:43 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'
    > > wrote:
    >
    > >I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    > >
    > >Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up

    is
    > >starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take?

    Have
    > >left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    > >
    > >Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    > >
    > >Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs,

    including
    > >copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but

    installation
    > >still freezes at same stage.
    > >
    > >Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    > >problem.
    > >
    > >TIA for any suggestions.
    > >

    > What is the make of your computer? How much ram, how much disk space
    > is available? More information might be most helpful.

    Comp was built to order in mid 2001 and regret I do not have full spec.
    However basics are:
    HD 30Gb - currently 11 Gb of free space.
    P111 1 Ghz
    RAM 384 Mb (was 256 Mb but I have just added a further 128 Mb which is
    recognised).

    What other info mat help?
    freakin' out, Jan 2, 2005
  4. freakin' out

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:45:25 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'
    > wrote:

    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:05:43 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'
    >> > wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    >> >
    >> >Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up

    >is
    >> >starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take?

    >Have
    >> >left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    >> >
    >> >Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    >> >
    >> >Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs,

    >including
    >> >copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but

    >installation
    >> >still freezes at same stage.
    >> >
    >> >Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    >> >problem.
    >> >
    >> >TIA for any suggestions.
    >> >

    >> What is the make of your computer? How much ram, how much disk space
    >> is available? More information might be most helpful.

    >Comp was built to order in mid 2001 and regret I do not have full spec.
    >However basics are:
    >HD 30Gb - currently 11 Gb of free space.
    >P111 1 Ghz
    >RAM 384 Mb (was 256 Mb but I have just added a further 128 Mb which is
    >recognised).
    >
    >What other info mat help?

    Are you free of viruses, spyware, etc.
    If you don't have a good virus scanner try one of the on line
    scanners. There are lots of them. Panda found 314 virus on one of my
    Brothers' computer last week. He was not running a virus scanner and
    wondered why he could not load simple programs such as spybot search
    and destroy. LOL
    joevan, Jan 2, 2005
  5. freakin' out

    wrote:

    |> I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    |>
    |> Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up is
    |> starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take? Have
    |> left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    |>
    |> Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    |>
    |> Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs, including
    |> copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but installation
    |> still freezes at same stage.
    |>
    |> Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    |> problem.

    One other suggestion. While in Win98 stick in your XP CD, it will ask if
    you want to upgrade (NO), clean install (YES, and you will select the
    destination directory)

    It will do it's thing and reboot to finish it's installation (hopefully)

    It's how I have always done it, just keep an eye out for what partition
    to place it on, I've had it time out once and installed itself to C:

    --
    , Jan 2, 2005
  6. freakin' out

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:48:26 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:05:43 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin' >
    >wrote:
    >
    >|> I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    >|>
    >|> Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up is
    >|> starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take? Have
    >|> left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    >|>
    >|> Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    >|>
    >|> Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs, including
    >|> copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but installation
    >|> still freezes at same stage.
    >|>
    >|> Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    >|> problem.
    >
    >One other suggestion. While in Win98 stick in your XP CD, it will ask if
    >you want to upgrade (NO), clean install (YES, and you will select the
    >destination directory)
    >
    >It will do it's thing and reboot to finish it's installation (hopefully)
    >
    >It's how I have always done it, just keep an eye out for what partition
    >to place it on, I've had it time out once and installed itself to C:

    That would be the easy way, to be in 98 and click on setup etc.
    I didn't see that he was working with a dual boot.
    Was there a post I missed?
    joevan, Jan 2, 2005
  7. freakin' out

    Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:59:05 GMT, joevan <> wrote:

    |> That would be the easy way, to be in 98 and click on setup etc.
    |> I didn't see that he was working with a dual boot.
    |> Was there a post I missed?

    -I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.-

    Might of misread this come to think of it. I just assume'd a dual boot.

    --
    , Jan 2, 2005
  8. freakin' out

    philo Guest

    freakin' out wrote:
    > I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
    >
    > Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up is
    > starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take? Have
    > left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.
    >
    > Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
    >
    > Have tried alternative methods suggested in dedicated XP Help/NGs, including
    > copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but installation
    > still freezes at same stage.
    >
    > Have disconnected peripherals and disabled NAV...but still have same
    > problem.
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.

    there is some type of hardware problem

    try a removing all cards but your video

    or just plain try a different cdrom
    philo, Jan 2, 2005
  9. freakin' out

    ~Axiom~ Guest

    Just a suggestion, may or may not help but I know a friend of mine was
    having similiar problem when trying to upgrade from 98 to XP and come to
    find out he had his hard drive hooked up with a 40wire cable, changed it to
    an 80 wire cable and worked fine. Might be something to try if you have a
    spare cable kicking around

    hth

    ~Axiom~, Jan 2, 2005
  10. freakin' out

    freakin' out Guest

    Norton Anti Virus, up to date. Always on.

    freakin' out, Jan 2, 2005
  11. freakin' out

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:35:38 GMT, "freakin' out"
    <freakin'> wrote:

    >Norton Anti Virus, up to date. Always on.
    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:45:25 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'
    >> > wrote:
    >>

    >> >"joevan" <> wrote in message

    >up
    >> >is
    >> >Have

    >> >including
    >> >installation

    >> >Comp was built to order in mid 2001 and regret I do not have full spec.
    >> >However basics are:
    >> >HD 30Gb - currently 11 Gb of free space.
    >> >P111 1 Ghz
    >> >RAM 384 Mb (was 256 Mb but I have just added a further 128 Mb which is
    >> >recognised).
    >> >
    >> >What other info mat help?
    >> >

    >> Are you free of viruses, spyware, etc.
    >> If you don't have a good virus scanner try one of the on line
    >> scanners. There are lots of them. Panda found 314 virus on one of my
    >> Brothers' computer last week. He was not running a virus scanner and
    >> wondered why he could not load simple programs such as spybot search
    >> and destroy. LOL

    I used to use Norton, until I discovered Kaspersky through this ng via
    *Mike* the wise guru of computers I guess. Then Kadaicha man might
    argue that fact but the point is Kaspersky is great.
    I do wonder about the cable thing that the last poster ~Axiom~
    mentioned. Since your computer was built in 01. I don't know, but
    maybe worth a look see.
    joevan
    joevan, Jan 2, 2005
  12. freakin' out

    freakin' out Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:35:38 GMT, "freakin' out"
    > <freakin'> wrote:
    >
    > >Norton Anti Virus, up to date. Always on.
    > >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:45:25 GMT, "freakin' out" <freakin'

    *set
    > >up

    take?

    same

    spec.

    > >> Are you free of viruses, spyware, etc.
    > >> If you don't have a good virus scanner try one of the on line
    > >> scanners. There are lots of them. Panda found 314 virus on one of my
    > >> Brothers' computer last week. He was not running a virus scanner and
    > >> wondered why he could not load simple programs such as spybot search
    > >> and destroy. LOL

    > I used to use Norton, until I discovered Kaspersky through this ng via
    > *Mike* the wise guru of computers I guess. Then Kadaicha man might
    > argue that fact but the point is Kaspersky is great.
    > I do wonder about the cable thing that the last poster ~Axiom~
    > mentioned. Since your computer was built in 01. I don't know, but
    > maybe worth a look see.
    > joevan

    Norton probably conflicts with XP's built in anti virus which I will disable
    anyway. I am quite happy with Norton.
    Have just checked compatibility on MS website (which is *USA only* and
    designed for XP Pro) which indicates following possible incompatibilities:
    Speedtouch USB ASDL
    HP Printer (not present) - diconnected
    Soundblaster Pro or compatible
    Java in Control Panel
    Modem Regional settings
    NAV
    Nero Burning ROM
    Web Publishing Wizard
    Browser Mouse
    Outlook 2000.

    Most of these can be reinstalled after XP is loaded. I don't see anything
    here significant enough to stop XP from installing.
    freakin' out, Jan 2, 2005
  13. freakin' out

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:34:17 GMT, "freakin' out"
    <freakin'> wrote:

    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:35:38 GMT, "freakin' out"
    >> <freakin'> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Norton Anti Virus, up to date. Always on.
    >> >"joevan" <> wrote in message

    >*set
    >> >up

    >take?

    >same

    >spec.

    >> I used to use Norton, until I discovered Kaspersky through this ng via
    >> *Mike* the wise guru of computers I guess. Then Kadaicha man might
    >> argue that fact but the point is Kaspersky is great.
    >> I do wonder about the cable thing that the last poster ~Axiom~
    >> mentioned. Since your computer was built in 01. I don't know, but
    >> maybe worth a look see.
    >> joevan

    >Norton probably conflicts with XP's built in anti virus which I will disable
    >anyway. I am quite happy with Norton.
    >Have just checked compatibility on MS website (which is *USA only* and
    >designed for XP Pro) which indicates following possible incompatibilities:
    >Speedtouch USB ASDL

    Is that ADSL?
    >HP Printer (not present) - diconnected
    >Soundblaster Pro or compatible
    >Java in Control Panel
    >Modem Regional settings
    >NAV
    >Nero Burning ROM
    >Web Publishing Wizard
    >Browser Mouse
    >Outlook 2000.
    >
    >Most of these can be reinstalled after XP is loaded. I don't see anything
    >here significant enough to stop XP from installing.

    OK, maybe *Mike* can help. Have you run scandisk for errors?
    Do you use Outlook 2000?
    I have used win 98 to enable setting up xp in the past. I can't
    imagine having such problems unless you are on a proprietary machine
    such as dell or whatever.
    joevan, Jan 2, 2005
  14. freakin' out

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | "joevan" <> wrote in message
    | > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:35:38 GMT, "freakin' out"
    | > <freakin'> wrote:
    | >
    | > >Norton Anti Virus, up to date. Always on.
    | > >"joevan" <> wrote in message

    | *set
    | > >up
    | take?

    Help/NGs,

    | same

    | spec.

    | > I used to use Norton, until I discovered Kaspersky through this ng via
    | > *Mike* the wise guru of computers I guess. Then Kadaicha man might
    | > argue that fact but the point is Kaspersky is great.
    | > I do wonder about the cable thing that the last poster ~Axiom~
    | > mentioned. Since your computer was built in 01. I don't know, but
    | > maybe worth a look see.
    | > joevan
    |

    | Norton probably conflicts with XP's built in anti virus which I will
    disable
    | anyway. I am quite happy with Norton.

    XP has no built in AV.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  15. freakin' out

    Billh Guest

    Windows XP does not have built in Anti virus. It has a built in Firewall.

    Billh, Jan 3, 2005