    thing.

    Any ideas on what's happening?

    Thanks

    Lee Parsons, Oct 18, 2004

  2. "Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I attempted an install of XP Pro on a working XP Home drive. I
    > specified "New Installation" and upon reboot, it came to "Starting
    > Windows Setup" and just stopped.
    >
    > It has done that ever since. The OS selection screen lists both the
    > Home installation and the XP Pro Setup, but the setup selection locks
    > up.
    >
    > I went back and tried an Upgrade installation, but it's the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Any ideas on what's happening?

    Your MBR is Screwed up... Best to fdisk with a Win 98
    boot disk and start over.....

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Oct 18, 2004

  3. "«bonehead;)" <> wrote in message

    > "Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    >> I attempted an install of XP Pro on a working XP Home drive. I
    >> specified "New Installation" and upon reboot, it came to "Starting
    >> Windows Setup" and just stopped.
    >>
    >> It has done that ever since. The OS selection screen lists both the
    >> Home installation and the XP Pro Setup, but the setup selection locks
    >> up.
    >>
    >> I went back and tried an Upgrade installation, but it's the same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what's happening?
    >>

    > Your MBR is Screwed up... Best to fdisk with a Win 98
    > boot disk and start over.....

    If the MBR is screwed up, then the guy needs to use the installation disc to
    boot to Recovery Console and do a fixboot and/or fixmbr.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 19, 2004
  4. On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:17:34 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    wrote:

    >"Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    >> I attempted an install of XP Pro on a working XP Home drive. I
    >> specified "New Installation" and upon reboot, it came to "Starting
    >> Windows Setup" and just stopped.
    >>
    >> It has done that ever since. The OS selection screen lists both the
    >> Home installation and the XP Pro Setup, but the setup selection locks
    >> up.
    >>
    >> I went back and tried an Upgrade installation, but it's the same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what's happening?
    >>

    >Your MBR is Screwed up... Best to fdisk with a Win 98
    >boot disk and start over.....

    Did that already, no good.

    Micah Torrance, Oct 19, 2004
  5. "Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    >I attempted an install of XP Pro on a working XP Home drive. I
    > specified "New Installation" and upon reboot, it came to "Starting
    > Windows Setup" and just stopped.
    >
    > It has done that ever since. The OS selection screen lists both the
    > Home installation and the XP Pro Setup, but the setup selection locks
    > up.
    >
    > I went back and tried an Upgrade installation, but it's the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Any ideas on what's happening?

    Well, after re-reading this, it seems very weird that it would list both "XP
    Professional" and "XP Home" on the OS Selection screen. You can't run both
    of them on the same partition. Have you tried a simple "fresh install"
    where you simply format the drive and install from scratch? If that's no
    good, you might try a low-level format with the hard drive utility of your
    choice (i.e. writing zeroes to every sector of the drive).

    Patrick Michael, Oct 19, 2004
  6. "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    > >I attempted an install of XP Pro on a working XP Home drive. I
    > > specified "New Installation" and upon reboot, it came to "Starting
    > > Windows Setup" and just stopped.
    > >
    > > It has done that ever since. The OS selection screen lists both the
    > > Home installation and the XP Pro Setup, but the setup selection locks
    > > up.
    > >
    > > I went back and tried an Upgrade installation, but it's the same
    > > thing.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on what's happening?

    > Well, after re-reading this, it seems very weird that it would list both

    "XP
    > Professional" and "XP Home" on the OS Selection screen. You can't run

    both
    > of them on the same partition. Have you tried a simple "fresh install"
    > where you simply format the drive and install from scratch? If that's no
    > good, you might try a low-level format with the hard drive utility of your
    > choice (i.e. writing zeroes to every sector of the drive).

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Use this......... I have a better one but I
    can't seem to find a download link....

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Oct 19, 2004
  7. I don't know if this will help since it's a SP2 issue. However it worked for
    me
    Turns out that I needed a bios update.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626

    Zimran Douglas, Oct 19, 2004