    I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.

    Thanks,

    Michael
    Michael, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Michael

    FML Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For some reason, when I connected my computer to my router it couldn't get
    > an IP address and so came up with 'Limited or no connectivity' error
    > message, so as it was also overdue for it's annual format, I decided to
    > format it and re-install XP. However it seems 'stuck' at the 'installing
    > network' bit of the install. The section telling you what features Xp has
    > keeps looping so it's not like it's crashed and isn't responsive. And due to
    > the lack of error message I don't know whether to leave it so restart.
    > Surely the two problems must be connected?
    >
    > Any ideas on how to solve it? I was thinking about adding a NIC although
    > I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael

    You can usually disable the on-board network interface in the BIOS.
    FML, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Michael

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:02:46 +0000, Michael wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > For some reason, when I connected my computer to my router it couldn't get
    > an IP address and so came up with 'Limited or no connectivity' error
    > message, so as it was also overdue for it's annual format, I decided to
    > format it and re-install XP. However it seems 'stuck' at the 'installing
    > network' bit of the install. The section telling you what features Xp has
    > keeps looping so it's not like it's crashed and isn't responsive. And due
    > to the lack of error message I don't know whether to leave it so restart.
    > Surely the two problems must be connected?
    >
    > Any ideas on how to solve it? I was thinking about adding a NIC although
    > I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael

    Right click on it in Network Properties and choose "disable"
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Michael

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:02:46 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> For some reason, when I connected my computer to my router it
    >> couldn't get an IP address and so came up with 'Limited or no
    >> connectivity' error message, so as it was also overdue for it's
    >> annual format, I decided to format it and re-install XP. However it
    >> seems 'stuck' at the 'installing network' bit of the install. The
    >> section telling you what features Xp has keeps looping so it's not
    >> like it's crashed and isn't responsive. And due to the lack of error
    >> message I don't know whether to leave it so restart. Surely the two
    >> problems must be connected?
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to solve it? I was thinking about adding a NIC
    >> although I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Right click on it in Network Properties and choose "disable"

    Meat, with all respect, but the OP can't install XP so your advise is
    useless.

    --
    Your mother was a frenetic offender who chatted endlessly over the internet
    in fast food restaurants.
    John Holmes, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:02:46 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, when I connected my computer to my router it
    >>> couldn't get an IP address and so came up with 'Limited or no
    >>> connectivity' error message, so as it was also overdue for it's
    >>> annual format, I decided to format it and re-install XP. However it
    >>> seems 'stuck' at the 'installing network' bit of the install. The
    >>> section telling you what features Xp has keeps looping so it's not
    >>> like it's crashed and isn't responsive. And due to the lack of error
    >>> message I don't know whether to leave it so restart. Surely the two
    >>> problems must be connected?
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to solve it? I was thinking about adding a NIC
    >>> although I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> Right click on it in Network Properties and choose "disable"

    > Meat, with all respect, but the OP can't install XP so your advise is
    > useless.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a frenetic offender who chatted endlessly over the
    > internet
    > in fast food restaurants.

    Well I can install XP as I've done it countless times before, except this
    time it took 2 hours to complete a task which it said would be done in
    10mins. Anyway, turns out the onboard port was faulty. so disabled in XP
    once it had loaded and whacked in a new card.

    Michael
    Michael, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Michael

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:25:02 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:02:46 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, when I connected my computer to my router it couldn't
    >>> get an IP address and so came up with 'Limited or no connectivity'
    >>> error message, so as it was also overdue for it's annual format, I
    >>> decided to format it and re-install XP. However it seems 'stuck' at the
    >>> 'installing network' bit of the install. The section telling you what
    >>> features Xp has keeps looping so it's not like it's crashed and isn't
    >>> responsive. And due to the lack of error message I don't know whether
    >>> to leave it so restart. Surely the two problems must be connected?
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to solve it? I was thinking about adding a NIC
    >>> although I've no idea how to disable the existing onboard one.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> Right click on it in Network Properties and choose "disable"

    > Meat, with all respect, but the OP can't install XP so your advise is
    > useless.

    Wait, lemme go back and re-read it.

    You're right I misread it and my advise wasn't worth two shits.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Aug 1, 2006