    have been made to the operating system?

    Thanks for your assistance.

    CM

    canmc, Oct 28, 2003

  2. canmc

    trout Guest

    canmc wrote:

    > I have at least 25 "Windows XP Hotfix" entries in the "Add or Remove
    > Programs" list. These are all 20.86 MB in size.
    >
    > Will these continue to multiply until I have more than I can count.
    >
    > Is it possible to delete these entries without changing the changes
    > that have been made to the operating system?
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance.
    >
    > CM

    If you're *absolutely sure* you won't want to uninstall them in the
    future; you can remove the *listing only* using TweakUI:
    http://www.webattack.com/get/tweakuixp.shtml
    --
    "And if you *are* absolutely sure; congratulations."

    trout, Oct 28, 2003

  3. canmc

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:06:53 GMT, canmc wrote:

    >I have at least 25 "Windows XP Hotfix" entries in the "Add or Remove
    >Programs" list. These are all 20.86 MB in size.

    Is it all the same Qxxxxxx reference or different.

    >Will these continue to multiply until I have more than I can count.
    >
    >Is it possible to delete these entries without changing the changes that
    >have been made to the operating system?

    Depends what's at fault if the list is corrupted or something else.

    Generally, removing these will remove the associated patch. However this
    can lead to possible horrible issues if one DLL removed from a new patch
    is replaced by an old one but another associated DLL still looks for the
    new one.

    Some DLLS seem to be updated / or at least packaged in each patch and
    you could end up with a non-bootable system.

    Could it be uninstall files / restore points?

    Strange my XP Add/Remove seems to be listing fewer than I thought I
    installed?

    Me

    why?, Oct 28, 2003
  4. canmc

    Dennis Guest

    Hmmm, just checked, pretty much the same but mine are 20.02 mB

    Dennis, Oct 28, 2003
  5. canmc

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No get a bigger hard drive if space is a problem.

    pcbutts1, Oct 29, 2003
  6. canmc

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, trout mused:

    | If you're *absolutely sure* you won't want to uninstall them in the
    | future; you can remove the *listing only* using TweakUI:
    | http://www.webattack.com/get/tweakuixp.shtml

    Unfortunately, that ability seems to have been removed in the XP
    version. Shame.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 29, 2003
  7. canmc

    trout Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:

    > Taking a moment's reflection, trout mused:
    >>
    >> If you're *absolutely sure* you won't want to uninstall them in
    >> the future; you can remove the *listing only* using TweakUI:
    >> http://www.webattack.com/get/tweakuixp.shtml

    > Unfortunately, that ability seems to have been removed in the XP
    > version. Shame.

    Ah. Noted.
    --
    "Thanks for the info."