    drive with the OS from the old to the new machine and expect it to perform?
    Thank you,
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Seamus J. Wilson, Feb 24, 2009

  2. Seamus J. Wilson

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson <> wrote in message
    news:A7Tol.25819$:

    > Replacing old slow machine with new one. Is it possible to move the
    > hard drive with the OS from the old to the new machine and expect it
    > to perform? Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    No.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Seamus J. Wilson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > Replacing old slow machine with new one. Is it possible to move the
    > hard drive with the OS from the old to the new machine and expect it
    > to perform?

    Do you have...

    - a MS XP install disk & license/key?
    - an OEM restore disk & license?
    - a pirate XP install disk (no license 'needed')?
    - some other more modern operating system than XP which doesn't require a
    license?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 24, 2009
  4. Thank you for the kind responses, much appreciated.
    Best,
    Seamus J.

    Seamus J. Wilson, Feb 24, 2009
  5. Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    > Thank you for the kind responses, much appreciated.

    >> Probably. You would need to do a "repair" install of the OS so that the
    >> correct drivers for the new machine could be loaded.

    You may discover, after the repair install, that your shiny XP home on the
    new hardware disapproves any key you throw at it - because it was "bios
    locked" to the original hardware.
    You may be lucky as well, but don't bet on that.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 24, 2009
  6. Seamus J. Wilson

    tom Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > Replacing old slow machine with new one. Is it possible to move the hard
    > drive with the OS from the old to the new machine and expect it to perform?
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    Hardrive manufactures have a utility to copy Hard drives.

    Plus I have Never had any trouble moving a hard drivr from one computer
    to the other . Even with XP.

    And if you do have problems it will tell you to call an 800# and just
    tell them you are updating your motherboard and they will give you a
    long number to type in to Fix it .

    tom, Feb 24, 2009