    Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
    recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

    , Apr 16, 2005

  2. steven Guest

    On 15 Apr 2005 17:17:17 -0700, wrote:

    > i want to upgrade my OEM version of XP Home to XP Pro (just to join a
    > domain and get advanced security settings etc).
    >
    > I have a full (legal btw) version of Win XP Pro - but when chucking it
    > in the laptop it comes up and says you cant upgrade because the version
    > of windows on the computer is a simalar/newer version.

    newer system files

    > Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
    > recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

    first backup stuff, then stick the xp pro disk in the drive reboot the
    computer, run setup from there and all will be good.

    the last thing you want to do is 'upgrade' (meaning install over a older
    copy) it will bring you nothing but nightmares.

    you should also consider slipstreaming SP2 onto that XP Professional disk
    of yours - the link below points to a fancy program that will automate that
    process for you (as well as automate installing windows)

    http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)

    steven, Apr 16, 2005

  3. On 15 Apr 2005 17:17:17 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >i want to upgrade my OEM version of XP Home to XP Pro (just to join a
    >domain and get advanced security settings etc).
    >
    >I have a full (legal btw) version of Win XP Pro - but when chucking it
    >in the laptop it comes up and says you cant upgrade because the version
    >of windows on the computer is a simalar/newer version.
    >
    >Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
    >recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

    Clean install always works better IME

    FreedomChooser, Apr 16, 2005