XP home + wireless + SBS 2003

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Russ Green, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Russ Green

    Russ Green Guest

    Firstly let me apologise for cross posting but I think this one is
    appropriate in these groups...

    I have a Small Basiness Server 2003 running with XP Pro laptops that are all
    members of my domain. The laptops all connect wirelesssly without problems.

    We have allowed a person to use a bit of our office space and she has an XP
    Home laptop. I want to give her internet access but not any other domain
    resources.

    When she connects to my network switch with a cable everything is just fine
    and she can browse the net and download her email. However, there is a
    problem when she connects to my wireless access point. Everything about the
    connection seems to be OK except she cannot browse the net (or connect
    Outlook to her POP mailboxes). I'm really confused about this. Both
    connection are essentially the same except one uses a cable.

    I'm really looking for suggestions about how to debug this problem.

    TIA

    Russ

    Russ Green, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Russ Green

    Kerry Brown Guest

    I'm guessing it's an encryption problem with the wireless. Post the results
    of ipconfig /all from both connections.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Are you using WEP or WPA?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVu?=, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Russ Green

    Kerry Brown Guest

    I don't know what the OP is using. As he hasn't answered for several days
    it's unlikely we'll find out :)

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Russ Green

    Russ Green Guest

    I'm using WEP. Sorry I haven't answered for a few days. The I haven't had
    access to the problem laptop and probably won't for another few days. When
    I do get access I would like to have some idea as to how to begin debuggin
    this as I won't have access to the machine for long and I will be under
    great pressure to find the answer.

    Russ

    Russ Green, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Russ Green

    Kerry Brown Guest

    If possible temporarily disable WEP on the access point and see if it
    connects. If it does then problem is obvious. If not then is the wireless
    access point hooked to the same switch as when she was connected with a
    wired connection? Is the wireless network set up as a different subnet? Does
    the wireless networking on the laptop see the wireless network? Do you get
    any errors when you try to connect? Does it connect but DHCP fails?

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Russ Green

    Russ Green Guest

    The laptop actually connects to the access point OK even with WEP. It just
    can't browse the net.

    The access point is also connected to the same network switch as when she
    was connected with a wired connection.

    I'm not sure if you can see the wireless network from the laptop (will check
    ASAP) but I know you can see the laptop from the network.

    DHCP does fail when connecting wirelessly and wireless only connects when I
    use a static IP and subnet in the alternate network configuration tab. I
    hard coded exactly the same settings (although different IP) as the wired
    connection uses.

    When DHCP fails the laptop connects to the Access Point but with Limited or
    no connectivity errors.

    Russ

    Russ Green, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Russ Green

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Russ Green wrote:
    > The laptop actually connects to the access point OK even with WEP. It just
    > can't browse the net.
    >
    > The access point is also connected to the same network switch as when
    > she was connected with a wired connection.
    >
    > I'm not sure if you can see the wireless network from the laptop
    > (will check ASAP) but I know you can see the laptop from the network.
    >
    > DHCP does fail when connecting wirelessly and wireless only connects
    > when I use a static IP and subnet in the alternate network
    > configuration tab. I hard coded exactly the same settings (although
    > different IP) as the wired connection uses.
    >
    > When DHCP fails the laptop connects to the Access Point but with
    > Limited or no connectivity errors.
    >
    > Russ

    That sounds like a firewall problem. What anti-virus and firewall is the
    laptop using?

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 18, 2006
  9. Russ Green

    Russ Green Guest

    I think its using the McAfee suit. Is that particularly sensitive on
    wireless connections then?

    Russ Green, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Russ Green

    Kerry Brown Guest

    It's no more sensitive than other firewalls. You may have to go into the
    firewall configuration and tell McAfee to trust the network. I'm not that
    familiar with McAfee so I'm not sure of the exact procedure. If I remember
    right you have to go into the firewall configuration for the network adapter
    and allow DHCP and ARP. You could try temporarily disabling the firewall to
    see if it is causing the problem.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User