    that have no installation date, and a bunch of others that have today's date
    because they were downloaded and installed today -- SP3 came on the CD with
    XP Home, so it went in with the OS.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 12, 2009

  2. Re: XP Home w/SP3 and Office 2003 problems -- UPDATE

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > I'm building a new machine and have a brand new XP Home w/SP3. I've got
    > all of the hardware connected and working, the drivers updated, and so on.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to load Office XP 2003. AutoRun brings up a menu where I
    > select the Office components I want to load. I can also use Windows
    > Explorer and drill to the folder of the respective components and select
    > Setup.exe.
    >
    > Either way that I try to load the Office components, the system hangs and
    > eventually returns Not Responding.
    >
    > I'm stuck ...
    >
    > Should I Uninstall SP3, or some portion(s) of it? Add & Remove Programs
    > does not specify the SP3 components. My only clue is that there are two
    > updates that have no installation date, and a bunch of others that have
    > today's date because they were downloaded and installed today -- SP3 came
    > on the CD with XP Home, so it went in with the OS.

    It seems the trouble is with the motherboard. I'm not sure, but when I
    install from the CD or the DVD, I get the failure, but I installed over my
    network without any trouble at all.

    Hmmm ...

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 12, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Ken Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm building a new machine and have a brand new XP Home w/SP3. I've got
    >> all of the hardware connected and working, the drivers updated, and so on.
    >>
    >> Now, I'm trying to load Office XP 2003. AutoRun brings up a menu where I
    >> select the Office components I want to load. I can also use Windows
    >> Explorer and drill to the folder of the respective components and select
    >> Setup.exe.
    >>
    >> Either way that I try to load the Office components, the system hangs and
    >> eventually returns Not Responding.
    >>
    >> I'm stuck ...
    >>
    >> Should I Uninstall SP3, or some portion(s) of it? Add & Remove Programs
    >> does not specify the SP3 components. My only clue is that there are two
    >> updates that have no installation date, and a bunch of others that have
    >> today's date because they were downloaded and installed today -- SP3 came
    >> on the CD with XP Home, so it went in with the OS.
    >>

    > It seems the trouble is with the motherboard. I'm not sure, but when I
    > install from the CD or the DVD, I get the failure, but I installed over my
    > network without any trouble at all.
    >
    > Hmmm ...

    I cannot say for certain where your problem lies, but if it were my
    computer I would run a test on the RAM and the HD. I realize it is a
    new computer, but you need to establish what is definitely good so you
    can establish what is bad.

    Ken, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jun 12, 1:07 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I'm building a new machine and have a brand new XP Home w/SP3. I've got all
    > of the hardware connected and working, the drivers updated, and so on.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to load Office XP 2003. AutoRun brings up a menu where I
    > select the Office components I want to load. I can also use Windows Explorer
    > and drill to the folder of the respective components and select Setup.exe..
    >
    > Either way that I try to load the Office components, the system hangs and
    > eventually returns Not Responding.
    >
    > I'm stuck ...
    >
    > Should I Uninstall SP3, or some portion(s) of it? Add & Remove Programs does
    > not specify the SP3 components. My only clue is that there are two updates
    > that have no installation date, and a bunch of others that have today's date
    > because they were downloaded and installed today -- SP3 came on the CD with
    > XP Home, so it went in with the OS.

    "and drill to the folder"......and this means....???
    Download f/v here & unrar using PW. Good luck.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/243868463/Microsoft_Office_2003_www.wareztown.org.zip
    pw:D (for unrar-ing only)

    sandy58, Jun 14, 2009