    Microsoft Incantations and VooDoo dances before starting it.

    Thanks!

    Tracy
    Tracy & the SWAMPdogs, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

    John D Loop Guest

    "Tracy & the SWAMPdogs" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all!
    >
    > I need to upgrade 2 machines that were OEM with XP Home to XP Pro. (It is

    > full version of Pro, not the upgrade version) While I would assume that
    > such a thing would be nice and smooth, I also have that nagging twinge of
    > worry in my head that is whispering "You're still upgrading the OS...
    > beware!"
    >
    > Anyone happen to have done this before? Did you have to re-install
    > applications or any drivers or did it go as smoothly as one would think it
    > _should_ ?? Do I need to set aside an entire day for this, with

    rebuilding
    > apps and directories, or is this just a couple hours tops you think?
    >
    > Thanks much and yes, I will perform a complete backup and say the required
    > Microsoft Incantations and VooDoo dances before starting it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tracy

    Upgrading should be no problem. However you have another option. Even the
    upgrade XP Pro lets you install a clean version on another partition.
    Thus you can have both environments on the same PC. Assuming you have
    enough disk space, just buy partition magic and shrink the XP HOme
    partition down to 10 MB or so. You can then install XP Pro to the new
    partition. And you will still have access to all the apps on the XP home
    side.
    John
    --
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    John D Loop, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

    Changeling Guest

    Why are you doing an upgrade???

    There are only two major differences beween Home and Pro.

    Home needs to be registered Pro doesn't.

    You do get additional features with Pro BUT these features are available to
    home users but need to installed manually as add-ons.

    Thats it apart from that there are no differences.

    Ade A+

    Changeling, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

    John Loop Guest

    "BLueCoBra" <bluecobra@*nospam*intergate.com> wrote in message

    > > Upgrading should be no problem. However you have another option. Even

    > the
    > > upgrade XP Pro lets you install a clean version on another partition.
    > > Thus you can have both environments on the same PC. Assuming you have
    > > enough disk space, just buy partition magic and shrink the XP HOme
    > > partition down to 10 MB or so. You can then install XP Pro to the new
    > > partition. And you will still have access to all the apps on the XP

    home
    > > side.
    > > John
    > > --

    > ....10MB??? I think he means 10GB

    Yes, thank you. 10MB would be a little tough.... :) I don't think IE fits
    in 10 MB anymore.....
    J--
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    John Loop, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Those would be the reasons, yes. :) Mainly the security features, in
    particular the file encryption. It is also what I will be working with more
    when I am out of the Network Security program I am attending, so I want to
    be more familar with it.

    Thanks!

    Tracy

    Tracy & the SWAMPdogs, Feb 24, 2004