    have the added topic of wanting to move to XP/64 as I have a AMD 64-bit
    processor. Is this also doable and is it best to upgrade using the upgrade
    alternatives suggested to others?

    =?Utf-8?B?anBtNTg=?=, Mar 28, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anBtNTg=?=

    Malke Guest

    jpm58 wrote:

    > I have a pretty new laptop that I can't connect to a corporate network
    > as I understand from a lot of research due to the fact that I have
    > XP/Home Edition and I need XP/Professional.
    >
    > I see a lot of threads suggesting that this upgrade is doable,
    > however, I have the added topic of wanting to move to XP/64 as I have
    > a AMD 64-bit
    > processor. Is this also doable and is it best to upgrade using the
    > upgrade alternatives suggested to others?

    You should check with your laptop mftr. as to whether they have written
    any 64-bit drivers. If they haven't, stick with a 32-bit operating
    system.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Hi

    If the laptop is based on NVIDIA chipset there is a good chance that the
    core NVIDIA drivers would take care of almost every thing that needs 64bits
    (you can get the general driver package at the NVIDIA site).

    However if there is Wireless (which is part of the idea of having a Laptop
    to begin with) it might be problematic.

    If there is installed Wireless that uses Ralink Chipset it might be 64bit
    compatible ( http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm ).

    Printing, Scanning, and other usage of peripheral might be a challenge too.

    So unless you are willing to spend time to investigating thoroughly every
    aspect, as Malke said "stick with a 32-bit operating".

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 29, 2006