    But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember that bigger size,
    it goes right back to a tiny Open-File window again.

    This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?
    Sarah Houston, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Sarah Houston

    thanatoid Guest

    Sarah Houston <> wrote in
    news:Xns9A17DD2731557SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142:

    > I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny
    > and it never works the same way again once I close and
    > reopen a program.
    >
    > For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open
    > window function. I right click on "Size" because I want
    > that window to be bigger. I drag it out to the size I want
    > it.
    >
    > I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close
    > the program.
    >
    > But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember
    > that bigger size, it goes right back to a tiny Open-File
    > window again.
    >
    > This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

    The file open window has always been a nightmare and I guess
    always will be. Just one of many.

    Try one of these:

    http://digilander.libero.it/important/bigwin/eng/index.html

    http://www.file-ex.com/fx3summ.html

    I have not tried the 1st one and the 2nd was a bit of an
    overkill, so I just use a simpler and older one called
    WindowsMakeUp but I am pretty certain it wouldn't run on XP nor
    could you find it anywhere. But I can post it for you somewhere
    if you want to try it.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    thanatoid, Jan 1, 2008

  3. Sarah Houston

    olfart Guest

    try Autosizer from www.southbaypc.com
    olfart, Jan 1, 2008
  4. Sarah Houston

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny and it never
    > works the same way again once I close and reopen a program.
    >
    > For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open window function. I
    > right click on "Size" because I want that window to be bigger. I drag it
    > out to the size I want it.
    >
    > I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close the program.
    >
    > But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember that bigger size,
    > it goes right back to a tiny Open-File window again.
    >
    > This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

    What works for me with *most* programs is to maximise the window to the
    size you want, then close the window while holding down the control key.
    Normally when you next open the program it will open in the maximised
    window. Note, this is normally for programs, rather than the open
    files box.

    I have just tried it with the File - Open dialogue, and it works the
    same, with the programs I have tried. Click on File - Open, then size
    the window to the size you want, then close the window using the same
    method (click on the X, while holding down the control key). Now click
    on File - Open again, and with many programs the window should now open
    in the maximised state.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus