    don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
    Thanks to anyone who can steer me.

    BetsyB

    Betsy, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Betsy

    Eos Guest

    "Betsy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
    >programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet
    >I don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
    > Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
    >
    > BetsyB

    Adaware finds lots of things....'some are spyware, some are not. You have to
    decide which ones you want to remove, but be careful as Win XP is a BIG
    Operating System and YES it DOES need to have many programs running in the
    background that it needs in order to function properly. The only safe way to
    get rid of programs you don't need/want is to UnInstall them using the
    Add/Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel.
    HTH.
    Eos.

    Eos, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Betsy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Right click on the taskbar and choose task manager then click on the
    processes tab.

    pcbutts1, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Betsy

    Betsy Guest

    Thankyou both so much. I think I'd best wait for my nerd to visit.

    BetsyB

    Betsy, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Betsy

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Betsy" <> wrote:

    >I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
    >programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet I
    >don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
    >Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
    >
    >BetsyB

    Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and first go to the Startup tab.
    Compare the list of items loading there with the information at
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php to see what, if
    anything, can be safely dispensed with.

    Then go to the Process tab and compare that list with the information
    at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm to see what can be
    reconfigured and how to do it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Betsy

    Betsy Guest

    Thankyou once again. Only found one I was positive I could ditch. But it was
    a start.

    Betsy, Oct 14, 2004