XP Home - slow to boot - Dell keeps giving "bad" advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HOIB, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. HOIB

    HOIB Guest

    Hello to this fine group. Bro in law has a new Dell Dimension 2400
    desktop - bought about 3 months ago. Recently it's real slow to startup -
    agonizingly slow. So, he's written/called/emailed Dell asking for
    assistance. They keep telling him to reinstall Windows XP Home, reinstall
    IE 6.0, clear out cookies/temp files, uninstall and reinstall everything,
    restore from this point or that point. There's no consistent answer because
    each tech is using a different book I guess. He's had two Dell tracking
    numbers on this thing and when I looked at the slew of emails on both, they
    wind up saying the same thing. The advice still hasn't helped. So, I took
    a look...

    I took out gobs of gunk (about ten progs including QuickTime, AOL companion,
    varioius and sundry bloatware from Dell , etc. etc.) in the StartUp folder.
    Disabled everything in the startup sequence (by visiting msconfig's startup
    screen). We restarted after each step (to make sure it would still come
    back) and indeed it's quite a bit faster now but not at what I would
    consider normal speed. Let me describe in a bit more detail:

    Say the system is running, no apps running, just the desktop. Start|Turn
    Off Computer|Restart.
    After about 15 - 20 seconds of - Windows is saving your settings...
    The screen blanks for about 5 seconds
    Windows XP Home's black screen and a "progress bar" appears in the dead
    center for about 20 seconds
    A blank screen for about 1 second (normal)
    Then, a partial desktop appears consisting of the Start Key on the lower
    left next to the task bar at the bottom that you would normaly expect and a
    completely blank aqua desktop. Here's where the problem is: This skeleton
    desktop stays on for almost 2 minutes. There's NO disk activity - no
    hourglass - no visible signs of life - it's just sitting there. Doing what,
    I don't know! You can't interrupt it though the mouse can be moved smoothly
    around the screen. Any keyboard or mouse commands are ignored
    currently -except- that once it comes up, those commands are executed from
    the queue.
    After about 2 minutes, the desktop comes up as normal and all is well.

    What's causing this abnormal wait?

    It's that foolish 2 minute wait at the skeleton desktop that's got me
    baffled. Anyone got a suggestion for what to look for?

    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you nice people!

    Hoib
    HOIB, Nov 25, 2004

  2. HOIB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "HOIB" <WHFTHERB@(anti-spam)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    | Hello to this fine group. Bro in law has a new Dell Dimension 2400
    | desktop - bought about 3 months ago. Recently it's real slow to startup -
    | agonizingly slow. So, he's written/called/emailed Dell asking for
    | assistance. They keep telling him to reinstall Windows XP Home, reinstall
    | IE 6.0, clear out cookies/temp files, uninstall and reinstall everything,
    | restore from this point or that point. There's no consistent answer
    because
    | each tech is using a different book I guess. He's had two Dell tracking
    | numbers on this thing and when I looked at the slew of emails on both,
    they
    | wind up saying the same thing. The advice still hasn't helped. So, I
    took
    | a look...
    |
    | I took out gobs of gunk (about ten progs including QuickTime, AOL
    companion,
    | varioius and sundry bloatware from Dell , etc. etc.) in the StartUp
    folder.
    | Disabled everything in the startup sequence (by visiting msconfig's
    startup
    | screen). We restarted after each step (to make sure it would still come
    | back) and indeed it's quite a bit faster now but not at what I would
    | consider normal speed. Let me describe in a bit more detail:
    |
    | Say the system is running, no apps running, just the desktop. Start|Turn
    | Off Computer|Restart.
    | After about 15 - 20 seconds of - Windows is saving your settings...
    | The screen blanks for about 5 seconds
    | Windows XP Home's black screen and a "progress bar" appears in the dead
    | center for about 20 seconds
    | A blank screen for about 1 second (normal)
    | Then, a partial desktop appears consisting of the Start Key on the lower
    | left next to the task bar at the bottom that you would normaly expect and
    | completely blank aqua desktop. Here's where the problem is: This
    skeleton
    | desktop stays on for almost 2 minutes. There's NO disk activity - no
    | hourglass - no visible signs of life - it's just sitting there. Doing
    what,
    | I don't know! You can't interrupt it though the mouse can be moved
    smoothly
    | around the screen. Any keyboard or mouse commands are ignored
    | currently -except- that once it comes up, those commands are executed from
    | the queue.
    | After about 2 minutes, the desktop comes up as normal and all is well.
    |
    | What's causing this abnormal wait?
    |
    | It's that foolish 2 minute wait at the skeleton desktop that's got me
    | baffled. Anyone got a suggestion for what to look for?
    |
    | Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you nice people!
    |
    | Hoib

    Nothing in your post indicates if you have tried spyware/adware/anti-virus
    tools to see what kind of problems might exist. A delay in booting can be a
    trojan attempting to "phone home". Is this computer networked? On broadband
    Internet? There's a lot that can be going on in the background without any
    hard drive lights blinking.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004

  3. HOIB

    HOIB Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > | around the screen. Any keyboard or mouse commands are ignored
    > | currently -except- that once it comes up, those commands are executed

    from
    > | the queue.
    > | After about 2 minutes, the desktop comes up as normal and all is well.
    > |
    > | What's causing this abnormal wait?
    > |
    > | It's that foolish 2 minute wait at the skeleton desktop that's got me
    > | baffled. Anyone got a suggestion for what to look for?
    > |
    > | Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you nice people!
    > |
    > | Hoib
    > |
    > Nothing in your post indicates if you have tried spyware/adware/anti-virus
    > tools to see what kind of problems might exist. A delay in booting can be

    > trojan attempting to "phone home". Is this computer networked? On

    broadband
    > Internet? There's a lot that can be going on in the background without any

    Ooops! You're aboslutely right - Sorry, I left out that important part.
    Let me go on...

    I used Ad-Aware 6.0 freshened up the ref file and scanned. Wiped out about
    160 objects.
    I then used SpyBot S&D with the latest update - it found and removed about
    30 more objects
    We then updated NAV totally and scanned the entire system - found no virii.
    Also used Norton SysWorks "One Click" check up with found about 125 shortcut
    missing/corrupt issues
    C:\ drive was defragged yesterday - fully. It only has one physical drive
    and an optical.
    It is a dial-up phone modem system solely - has never been on any network -
    the NIC is virgin.

    One thing more, I'd be happy to run some sort of a monitor utility to try
    and guage what's happening except that I'm not sure if one would help,
    seeing and assuming that WinXPHome isn't fully loaded at the point the delay
    occurs. Right?

    HOIB, Nov 25, 2004
  4. HOIB

    Ron Martell Guest

    "HOIB" <WHFTHERB@(anti-spam)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

    >Ooops! You're aboslutely right - Sorry, I left out that important part.
    >Let me go on...
    >
    >I used Ad-Aware 6.0 freshened up the ref file and scanned. Wiped out about
    >160 objects.

    Oops again. Ditch Ad-Aware 6.0 immediately. 6.181 was the last
    version in the 6 series and it has been out for over a year. But even
    it is now superceded. Get the new Ad-Aware SE 1.5 from
    www.lavasoft.de install and update it and then do a scan. It will
    probably find a bunch more stuff.

    >I then used SpyBot S&D with the latest update - it found and removed about
    >30 more objects

    If your Ad-Aware was an old version then your Spybot may also be. The
    current version is 1.3 and updates are no longer being provided for
    the old 1.2 version.

    >We then updated NAV totally and scanned the entire system - found no virii.
    >Also used Norton SysWorks "One Click" check up with found about 125 shortcut
    >missing/corrupt issues
    >C:\ drive was defragged yesterday - fully. It only has one physical drive
    >and an optical.
    >It is a dial-up phone modem system solely - has never been on any network -
    >the NIC is virgin.
    >
    >One thing more, I'd be happy to run some sort of a monitor utility to try
    >and guage what's happening except that I'm not sure if one would help,
    >seeing and assuming that WinXPHome isn't fully loaded at the point the delay
    >occurs. Right?

    Check out your Startup Services with the listing at

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 25, 2004
  5. HOIB

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "HOIB" <WHFTHERB@(anti-spam)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    | > | Hello to this fine group. Bro in law has a new Dell Dimension 2400
    | > | desktop - bought about 3 months ago. Recently it's real slow to
    | startup -
    | > | agonizingly slow. So, he's written/called/emailed Dell asking for
    | > | assistance. They keep telling him to reinstall Windows XP Home,
    | reinstall
    | > | IE 6.0, clear out cookies/temp files, uninstall and reinstall
    | everything,
    | > | restore from this point or that point. There's no consistent answer
    | > because
    | > | each tech is using a different book I guess. He's had two Dell
    tracking
    | > | numbers on this thing and when I looked at the slew of emails on both,
    | > they
    | > | wind up saying the same thing. The advice still hasn't helped. So, I
    | > took
    | > | a look...
    | > |
    | > | I took out gobs of gunk (about ten progs including QuickTime, AOL
    | > companion,
    | > | varioius and sundry bloatware from Dell , etc. etc.) in the StartUp
    | > folder.
    | > | Disabled everything in the startup sequence (by visiting msconfig's
    | > startup
    | > | screen). We restarted after each step (to make sure it would still
    come
    | > | back) and indeed it's quite a bit faster now but not at what I would
    | > | consider normal speed. Let me describe in a bit more detail:
    | > |
    | > | Say the system is running, no apps running, just the desktop.
    | Start|Turn
    | > | Off Computer|Restart.
    | > | After about 15 - 20 seconds of - Windows is saving your settings...
    | > | The screen blanks for about 5 seconds
    | > | Windows XP Home's black screen and a "progress bar" appears in the
    dead
    | > | center for about 20 seconds
    | > | A blank screen for about 1 second (normal)
    | > | Then, a partial desktop appears consisting of the Start Key on the
    lower
    | > | left next to the task bar at the bottom that you would normaly expect
    | and
    | > | completely blank aqua desktop. Here's where the problem is: This
    | > skeleton
    | > | desktop stays on for almost 2 minutes. There's NO disk activity - no
    | > | hourglass - no visible signs of life - it's just sitting there. Doing
    | > what,
    | > | I don't know! You can't interrupt it though the mouse can be moved
    | > smoothly
    | > | around the screen. Any keyboard or mouse commands are ignored
    | > | currently -except- that once it comes up, those commands are executed
    | from
    | > | the queue.
    | > | After about 2 minutes, the desktop comes up as normal and all is well.
    | > |
    | > | What's causing this abnormal wait?
    | > |
    | > | It's that foolish 2 minute wait at the skeleton desktop that's got me
    | > | baffled. Anyone got a suggestion for what to look for?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you nice people!
    | > |
    | > | Hoib
    | > |
    | > Nothing in your post indicates if you have tried
    spyware/adware/anti-virus
    | > tools to see what kind of problems might exist. A delay in booting can
    be
    | > trojan attempting to "phone home". Is this computer networked? On
    | broadband
    | > Internet? There's a lot that can be going on in the background without
    any
    | > hard drive lights blinking.
    |
    | Ooops! You're aboslutely right - Sorry, I left out that important part.
    | Let me go on...
    |
    | I used Ad-Aware 6.0 freshened up the ref file and scanned. Wiped out
    about
    | 160 objects.
    | I then used SpyBot S&D with the latest update - it found and removed about
    | 30 more objects
    | We then updated NAV totally and scanned the entire system - found no
    virii.
    | Also used Norton SysWorks "One Click" check up with found about 125
    shortcut
    | missing/corrupt issues
    | C:\ drive was defragged yesterday - fully. It only has one physical drive
    | and an optical.

    That's a good run-through. It helps to know what has been eliminated.

    | It is a dial-up phone modem system solely - has never been on any
    network -
    | the NIC is virgin.
    | One thing more, I'd be happy to run some sort of a monitor utility to try
    | and guage what's happening except that I'm not sure if one would help,
    | seeing and assuming that WinXPHome isn't fully loaded at the point the
    delay
    | occurs. Right?

    The only computer at work that has that long of a "blank screen" delay -
    partially loaded - is searching for the domain to log in to. I have one
    "mini network" at the office with one server/workstation and a remote
    workstation that logs in. I think something is funny in the networking
    protocols, but don't have the experience to fix it. (The rest of the
    computers are in a Novell network, which I understand much better than
    Windows networking, since I've used it for 12 years or so.) But I digress.
    What I was thinking is that - similar to that slow booting machine at work -
    there is a network protocol attempting to load. Since this is on dial-up
    only, maybe looking into the networking properties in Control Panel might
    give some ideas. You mentioned the NIC isn't used - so right-click on that
    connection and select properties. Turn off the anything that is installed -
    Client for Microsoft networking, TCP/IP, file sharing, etc. When finished,
    disable the card entirely - right-click the connection and select Disable.
    That may help...but then again...

    Other suggestions worth looking in to...
    http://www.handyarchive.com/Utilities/System-Tools/index7.html
    scroll down to "Complete Process Manager" - should show startup

    In Regedit, look at each item in the following key:
    Search www.Google.com for anything you don't recognise. Make a backup of the
    branch, and then delete anything you can't verify is essential.

    After the system boots, bring up the taskmanager and examine each process
    running. Identify each...if you don't recognise it, Google for it.

    Create a new user account, and log in to that. See if it has the same delay.
    If not, consider setting it up fully, and copy the data files from the old
    user, and eventually deleting the old user.

    If this persists, and you can't locate the problem, then download and run
    HijackThis and see what it can tell you. There are a number of groups and
    forums besides this newsgroup that can help determine what changes are safe
    to make after reviewing your HijackThis log.
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

    Whew! That ought to take a couple of minutes <g> - good luck!
    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  6. HOIB

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Hoib - These symptoms often indicate the possibility of other malware.
    You might want go to this page at Jim Eshelman's site, here:
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm or here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm and wait a little bit (be
    patient), while an analysis of a number of possible parasites on your
    machine will be made to help you identify and remove them. NOTE: You will
    need to disable Ad Blocking in Zone Alarm 3.x or later, if present or any
    other Ad Blocking software which interferes with Java Scripting for this
    scan to work. You should get a message between the two lines of **** giving
    the results of the scan.

    If you have further issues (and even if not, do at least Stinger and
    SysClean from a clean boot, below, and also note the preventive measures at
    the end):

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download
    both a copy of LSPFIX here:

    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    AND a copy of Winsockfix for W95, W98, and ME
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    or here for Win2k/XP http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
    Info here: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    Directions here: http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

    The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection.
    If this should occur, these programs, LSPFIX and WINSOCKFIX, will enable you
    to regain your connection.

    NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the command netsh winsock reset
    will fix this problem without the need for these programs. (You can also
    try this if you're on XP SP1. There has also been one, as yet unconfirmed,
    report that this also works there.) Also, one MS technician suggested the
    following sequence:

    netsh int reset all
    ipconfig /flushdns

    See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm for additional XPSP2
    info/approaches using the netsh command.
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible. Reboot and test if the malware is fixed
    after using each tool.
    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot:
    1. Start|Run enter msconfig.
    2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    4. Click OK and then reboot.
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Download and run Stinger.exe, here:
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe or from the link
    on this page: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ ME/XP users be sure to read:

    Download sysclean.com , from Trend Micro, here:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp along with the latest pattern
    file, here: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp Be sure to read
    the "How-to" info here:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/readme.txt (You might also want
    to get Art's updater, SYS-UP.Zip, here for future updating of these:
    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/). (If you download and use the updater from
    the beginning, it will automatically handle downloading the other files.)
    Place them in a dedicated folder after appropriate unzipping. Show hidden
    and system files (HowTo here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339)
    Disable Restore if you're on XP or ME (directions here:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm), then boot to
    Safe mode (HowTo here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406)
    Read tscreadme.txt carefully, then do a complete scan of your system
    in Safe mode and clean or delete anything it finds. Reboot to normal mode
    and re-run the scan again.

    This scan may take a long time, as Sysclean is VERY extensive and thorough.
    For example, one user reported that Sysclean found 69 hits that an
    immediately prior Norton AV v. 11.0.2.4 run had missed.

    Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
    because they are in use. A program called Copylock, here,
    http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
    "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
    currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
    files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
    http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
    A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
    here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem

    For the general hijack case, the best way to start is to get Ad-Aware SE
    Personal Edition, here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/.
    UPDATE, set it up in accordance with this:
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877 and run this regularly to get
    rid of most "spyware/hijackware" on your machine. If it has to fix things,
    be sure to re-boot and rerun AdAware again and repeat this cycle until you
    get a clean scan. The reason is that it may have to remove things which
    are currently "in use" before it can then clean up others.

    Then, courtesy of NonSuch at Lockergnome, open Ad-aware then click the gear
    wheel at the top and check these options to configure Ad-aware for a
    customized scan:

    General> activate these: "Automatically save log-file" and "Automatically
    quarantine objects prior to removal"

    Scanning > activate these: "Scan within archives", "Scan active processes",
    "Scan registry", "Deep scan registry," "Scan my IE Favorites for banned
    sites," and "Scan my Hosts file"

    Tweaks > Scanning Engine> activate this: "Unload recognized processes during
    scanning."

    Tweaks > Cleaning Engine: activate these: "Automatically try to unregister
    objects prior to deletion" and "Let Windows remove files in use after
    reboot."

    Click "Proceed" to save your settings, then click "Start." Make sure
    "Activate in-depth scan" is ticked green, then scan your system. When the
    scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found, click
    "Next." The bad files will be listed. Right click the pane and click "Select
    all objects" - This will put a check mark in the box at the side, click
    "Next" again and click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed.
    Continue?"

    Courtesy of http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spyware.html: HINT: If
    Ad Aware is automatically shut-down by a malicious software, first run
    AWCloak.exe, http://www.lavasoftnews.com/downloads/AAWCloak.exe, before
    opening Ad Aware. When AAWCloak is open, click “Activate Cloak”. Then open
    Ad Aware and scan your system.

    Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy
    available here: http://security.kolla.de/ SpyBot Support Forum here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi. Tutorial
    here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html I recommend using both
    normally. Be sure and use the Default (NOT Advanced or Beta) Mode in
    Settings.

    After UPDATING and fixing ONLY RED things with SpyBot S&D, be sure to
    re-boot and rerun SpyBot again and repeat this cycle until you get a clean
    "no red" scan. The reason is that SpyBot sometimes has to remove things
    which are currently "in use" before it can then clean up others. Note that
    sometimes you need to make a judgement call about what these programs report
    as spyware. See here, for example: http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm

    Note that sometimes you need to make a judgement call about what these
    programs report as spyware. See here, for example:
    http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm

    A currently common parasite is some malware called CoolWebSearch. Do the
    following:

    Download, UPDATE before running, and run:
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWSInstall.exe from this page:
    http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html (The new v.2
    which will automatically install in C:\Program
    Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\CWShredder.exe and put a shortcut on the
    Desktop. Run the program from this install location or the shortcut after
    installation. This recommendation for CWShredder is NOT automatically a
    recommendation for the other programs adverstised by Intermute in
    conjunction with this install.) or
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe or here:
    http://hem.bredband.net/b157129/f/cwshredder.zip or here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/scripts/downloadhero/10-17-150/ or here:
    http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip
    to remove the parasite. Try to run from Safe mode or a Clean Boot and be
    sure to close ALL other programs to the extent possible, expecially ALL
    instances of IE and OE.

    There's a good tutorial about CWS and using CWShredder here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=47#domain See
    also: http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html

    BE SURE that you get v.1.59.0.1 or later or the new v.2! Note that
    CWShredder may make deletions/changes to your HOSTS file (sometimes as false
    positives), and that after cleanup you may need to restore it with a fresh
    copy of any local DNS and/or blocking entries or disable it before running
    CWShredder.

    You will need to show Hidden files first and then at the end clear the
    malware garbage from your System Restore backups after you've cleaned up.
    It's best to perform CWShredder (and most other malware fixers too) from
    Safe mode and then reboot. AFTER cleaning things up, then you can disable
    and then re-enable System Restore. See ******** below.

    The following links give instructions on how to do these various functions:

    HOW TO Restart in Safe Mode
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406>

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339>

    HOW TO Disable/Flush System Restore (do this at the end AFTER cleaning or
    use the suggested procedure for XP at the ******'s)
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039>
    (WinXP)
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239>
    (WinME)

    Then download and run:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/iegentabs.reg to restore your
    tabs and remove any restrictions that the parasite has put in place.

    Now download and run:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/RestoreSearch2.REG to restore
    your search functions if they've been affected (as they probably will have
    been).

    Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093

    which blocks the exploit upon which this parasite family depends.

    There are extensive, detailed instructions for manual removal of CWS
    variants here: http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/c/cws.asp You may want
    to check these to be sure everythings been cleaned up.

    When done, go to Start|Run and enter one line at a time (or even easier,
    open a DOS box and copy the following in its entirety and then paste it into
    the box):

    regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll
    regsvr32 comcat.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /i Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Msoeacct.dll
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\Msoe.dll"
    regsvr32 msjava.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 Olepro32.dll
    regsvr32 Hlink.dll
    regsvr32 Asctrls.ocx
    regsvr32 Inetcpl.cpl /i
    regsvr32 Dxtrans.dll
    regsvr32 Dxtmsft.dll
    regsvr32 Imgutil.dll
    regsvr32 Msxml.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Jscript.dll
    regsvr32 Softpub.dll
    regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 Initpki.dll
    regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 Msjet40.dll
    regsvr32 pdm32.dll
    regsvr32 Msjtor40.dll
    regsvr32 Dao360.dll
    regsvr32 Sccbase.dll

    with a Return after each .dll. You'll get a message about successful
    completion of the re-registration process after each one, then enter the
    next (with the DOS box they'll be continuous except for the last one).

    If you use Win98x and get an error on Shell32.dll, ignore it. Only the ME,
    Win2k and XP versions of windows have shell32 as an object that needs
    registering. (For these earlier operating systems, run "regsvr32
    shdoc401.dll " instead of "regsvr32 Shell32.dll".) Depending on your
    system, you may also get "not found" error messages on some or all of the
    last five - if so, ignore them.

    Re-start your computer when you've finished.

    If they don't fix it then start here:

    Download HijackThis, free, here:
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe (Always download a new
    fresh copy of HijackThis [and CWShredder also] - It's UPDATED frequently.)
    You may also get it here if that link is blocked:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=3&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13
    or here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/spyware/hijackthis.zip

    There's a good "How-to-Use" tutorial here:
    http://computercops.biz/HijackThis.html

    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools|Folder Options|View and check "Show
    hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system
    files". (You may want to restore these when you're all finished with
    HijackThis.)

    Place HijackThis.exe or unzip HijackThis.zip into its own dedicated folder
    at the root level such as C:\HijackThis (NOT in a Temp folder or on your
    Desktop), reboot to Safe mode, start HT (have ONLY HT running - IE MUST be
    closed) then press Scan. Click on SaveLog when it's finished which will
    create hijackthis.log. Now click the Config button, then Misc Tools and
    click on Generate StartupList.log which will create Startuplist.txt.

    Then go to one of the following forums:

    Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, here:
    http://216.180.233.162/~swicom/forums/

    or Net-Integration here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-...86d536d57b5f65b6e40c55365e;act=ST;f=27;t=6949

    or Tom Coyote here: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx

    or Jim Eshelman's site here: http://forum.aumha.org/

    or Bleepingcomputer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

    Register if necessary, then sign in and READ THE DIRECTIONS at the beginning
    of the particular sites HiJackThis forum, then copy and paste both files
    into a message asking for assistance, Someone will answer with detailed
    instructions for the removal of your parasite(s). Be sure you include at
    the beginning of your post "What problem(s) you're trying to solve" and
    "What steps you've already taken."

    *******
    ONLY IF you've successfully eliminated the malware, you can now make a new,
    clean Restore Point and delete any previously saved (possibly infected)
    ones. The following suggested approach is courtesy of Gary Woodruff: For XP
    you can run a Disk Cleanup cycle and then look in the More Options tab. The
    System Restore option removes all but the latest Restore Point. If there
    hasn't been one made since the system was cleaned you should manually create
    one before dumping the old possibly infected ones.
    *******

    Once you get this cleaned up, you might want to consider installing Eric
    Howes' IESpyAds, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard here to help prevent this
    kind of thing from happening in the future:

    IESpyads - https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm "IE-SPYAD adds
    a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers,
    marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet
    Explorer. Once you merge this list of sites and domains into the Registry,
    the web sites for these companies will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX
    controls, Java applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC
    while you surf the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push
    unwanted pop-ups, cookies, or auto-installing programs on your PC." Read
    carefully.

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html (Prevents malware Active
    X installs) (BTW, SpyWareBlaster is not memory resident ... no CPU or memory
    load - but keep it UPDATED) The latest version as of this writing will
    prevent installation or prevent the malware from running if it is already
    installed, and it provides information and fixit-links for a variety of
    parasites.

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html (Monitors for attempts to
    install malware) Keep it UPDATED. All three Very Highly Recommended

    Next, install and keep updated a good HOSTS file. It can help you avoid
    most adware/malware. See here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (Be sure it's named/renamed HOSTS - all caps, no extension) Additional
    tutorials here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=14f3f9225081133297a8acdd11137c5b&showtutorial=51
    (detailed) and here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=410
    (overview)

    Finally, be sure that you have a good hardware or software firewall and an
    AntiVirus installed, and bring your OS up-to-date with ALL Critical updates
    from Windows Update.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    HOIB <WHFTHERB@(anti-spam)HOTMAIL.COM> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Nov 25, 2004
  7. In article <> kadickless <> wrote:

    >I can't believe some of the fucking crap you've been told, not by Dell,
    >but by the fucktards who replied to you before I did. Toolman Timtard
    >has set you off on a wild goose chase with network cards and some other
    >fuckwit wants you to destroy what's left of your system with a fucking
    >registry cleaner, for crying out fucking loud. Oh well, that's
    >24hourfuckup.idiotdesk for you. Amazing. Then the fucker Timtard expects
    >you take a week to check and verify every fucking process you can find?
    ><SNORT>

    Do you think that left of their system with a fucking registry cleaner
    is?

    >In your o

    He that seeks trouble never misses.

    >"They keep telling him to reinstall Windows XP Home"

    Are you afraid of hackers?

    >You think Dell tell people that just so they can **** someone's day
    >right up? Do you?

    Do I have to actually spell it out for you, you live in a world that
    accepts them for the food that they do?

    >You used an old and very outdated malware checker to to find 200
    >objects, you stupid ****. What other damage the malware may have done is
    >beyond anyone's reasonable guess.

    Do you prefer people to lie to you?

    >Reinstall. Apply the updates. Get a decent firewall and virus checker,
    >and get an updated Spywareblaster and Adaware. THEN clean out the Dell shit.

    What on earth are you talking about?

    >**** me dead. If you go along with those techno-fucktards like Toolman
    >Timtard, you deserve eveything you fucking well get.

    Fucking small minded fucktards, the lot of them.

    >Go here and download the two patches before you do reinstall:

    Clouds gather before a storm.

    >Fucking hell. Alternatively, feel free to spend the next two weeks
    >getting nowhere in a hurry just to avoid a 45-minute reinstallation.
    >It's your fucking time.

    Love makes the time pass. Time makes love pass.

    ><shakes head>

    That's fascinating.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Thanks to everybody who replied especially Lady Chatterly your advise
    was the best" -- Osiris
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 25, 2004
  8. HOIB

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:10:57 -0500, HOIB wrote:

    > After about 2 minutes, the desktop comes up as normal and all is well.
    >
    > What's causing this abnormal wait?
    >
    > It's that foolish 2 minute wait at the skeleton desktop that's got me
    > baffled. Anyone got a suggestion for what to look for?

    After you've done what the boong-boy has suggested, after removing Dell's
    poop-shute ware, you may also consider downloading and running
    BootVis.msi which should help sort any slow boot times. Oh, and run
    msconfig to kill any apps you don't need at startup. Essential services
    only, none of the airy-fairy poofy apps that insist on loading at boot.
    You should be able to get a functional desktop in 15-20 seconds.

    http://www.smartdownloads.net/download-22092.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
    http://www.alri.org/step2/usingmsconfig.htm
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Nov 25, 2004
  9. HOIB

    Cubzilla Guest

    Just reload as suggested. then install the apps, you could have had it done
    by the time you have finished tweaking. you cant beat a fresh install for
    clearing the bugs. THEN if its still a problem talk to Dell if this box is
    under warranty you are delaying any hardware work it *may* need cos you have
    not completed the work suggested by Dell. Did the box perform correctly when
    your Bro first used it ?. chances are he has downloaded crap thats afecting
    performance.

    Regards Cub

    Cubzilla, Nov 25, 2004
  10. HOIB

    HOIB Guest

> [...]

    > 160 objects.
    > I then used SpyBot S&D with the latest update - it found and removed about
    > 30 more objects
    > We then updated NAV totally and scanned the entire system - found no

    virii.
    > Also used Norton SysWorks "One Click" check up with found about 125

    shortcut
    > missing/corrupt issues
    > C:\ drive was defragged yesterday - fully. It only has one physical drive
    > and an optical.
    > It is a dial-up phone modem system solely - has never been on any

    network -
    > the NIC is virgin.
    >
    > One thing more, I'd be happy to run some sort of a monitor utility to try
    > and guage what's happening except that I'm not sure if one would help,
    > seeing and assuming that WinXPHome isn't fully loaded at the point the

    Good Folks! Puhleeeze! Let's take a chill here... good grief! This is not
    people dying in the streets for christ's sake....

    I did as Mr Martell suggested and loaded on AdAaware SE (Sorry, I didn't
    keep up with the versions) and I incorporated the latest ref files. It found
    9 additional crud-skies in the Reg keys. SpyBot S&D ondeed was up to snuff
    in the latest version already. After running these, as well as Norton's
    Sysworks Utilities, boot time unfortunately was unaffected. But the good
    news is: I think we did find the boo-boo. I hadn't read Mr. Byrd's fine
    advice yet...

    Drifted over to Dev Mgr - (why I don't know as I wasn't even leaning toward
    that). Turns out the Generic USB Hub device had the proverbial "yellow !"
    next to it. I disabled it, uninstalled the driver, then re-booted. As
    Windows XP came through it re-installed the USB device which then showed no
    yellow symptoms. Rebooted again. Viola! Rebooted several times - 31
    seconds to the desktop from a cold start! The only thing hanging off the
    USB port on this sys is the printer. The question now would be: When was
    the last time he printed something because he neeeded to? Unknown number of
    weeks ago as the printer is little used.

    Do the two events somehow coincide? We'll never know. However, we now have
    a good restore point established. We now have a good backup of the
    registry, as well as a good solid chkdsk/defrag under our belts. System is
    now "hot" - very responsive just as new. Note: None of Dell's advice was
    even close to what I feel was the root cause. Again, the folks there are
    just following a script. Wonder if he were successful at getting someone on
    the phone if they'd have found this. Again, we'll never know.

    To the person(s) who felt obligated to grunge out others who tried to help
    with expletives - shame on you. Not helpful at all.

    Hoib.
    HOIB, Nov 26, 2004
  11. HOIB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I did as Mr Martell suggested and loaded on AdAaware SE (Sorry, I didn't
    | keep up with the versions) and I incorporated the latest ref files. It
    found
    | 9 additional crud-skies in the Reg keys. SpyBot S&D ondeed was up to
    snuff
    | in the latest version already. After running these, as well as Norton's
    | Sysworks Utilities, boot time unfortunately was unaffected. But the good
    | news is: I think we did find the boo-boo. I hadn't read Mr. Byrd's fine
    | advice yet...
    |
    | Drifted over to Dev Mgr - (why I don't know as I wasn't even leaning
    toward
    | that). Turns out the Generic USB Hub device had the proverbial "yellow !"
    | next to it. I disabled it, uninstalled the driver, then re-booted. As
    | Windows XP came through it re-installed the USB device which then showed
    no
    | yellow symptoms. Rebooted again. Viola! Rebooted several times - 31
    | seconds to the desktop from a cold start! The only thing hanging off the
    | USB port on this sys is the printer. The question now would be: When was
    | the last time he printed something because he neeeded to? Unknown number
    of
    | weeks ago as the printer is little used.
    |
    | Do the two events somehow coincide? We'll never know. However, we now
    have
    | a good restore point established. We now have a good backup of the
    | registry, as well as a good solid chkdsk/defrag under our belts. System
    is
    | now "hot" - very responsive just as new. Note: None of Dell's advice was
    | even close to what I feel was the root cause. Again, the folks there are
    | just following a script. Wonder if he were successful at getting someone
    on
    | the phone if they'd have found this. Again, we'll never know.
    |
    | To the person(s) who felt obligated to grunge out others who tried to help
    | with expletives - shame on you. Not helpful at all.
    |
    | Hoib.

    Way cool! Sometimes it's hard, with so many places to look for problems, to
    actually get things like this resolved - especially "remotely" (as the
    advice from other Usenet users must obviously be.) I'm glad something was
    finally found to correct the issue, and since you posted the resolution, it
    provides one more thing for me to remember next time myself - one more tool
    in my belt ;o)
    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004
  12. HOIB

    gb Guest

    > None of Dell's advice was
    > even close to what I feel was the root cause. Again, the folks there are
    > just following a script. Wonder if he were successful at getting someone
    > on
    > the phone if they'd have found this. Again, we'll never know.

    Do you think you could cure a problem that could literally be one of a
    million things, over the phone? Possibly the information and/or responses
    you gave led prospective answers to a direction not related to what appears
    to have been the problem. After all, we're all human - even you forgot to
    give us information in your posts (and virii is no such word).
    gb, Nov 27, 2004
  13. HOIB

    abe Guest

    > Maybe you should leasn to read /before/ you type, you stupid ****.

    what a moron.
    abe, Nov 30, 2004
  14. HOIB

    relic Guest

    abe wrote:
    >> Maybe you should leasn to read /before/ you type, you stupid ****.
    >>

    > what a moron.

    A new stalker for K-Man. What pushed him over the edge?

    --
    Honey, you stick to the washin',
    ironin', cookin', and scrubbin'.
    relic, Nov 30, 2004
  15. HOIB

    Joe Guest

    Maybe you should learn to read, I did not direct it to you, I just simply
    stated my PC will boot to desktop in about 21 secs, whoever said it would
    not then that is who really should be concerned. They need to take the
    computer to someone who knows how to tweak it up/clean it up for them.

    Try not to be so touchy dude.

    Joe, Nov 30, 2004
  16. HOIB

    Duane Arnold Guest

    relic wrote:

    > abe wrote:
    >>> Maybe you should leasn to read /before/ you type, you stupid ****.
    >>>

    >> what a moron.

    > A new stalker for K-Man. What pushed him over the edge?

    *Relish* you Tampon *rag* sucker you should wipe yourself off K-Bitch's MADD
    *COW* ass you brown nosing *clown*.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 1, 2004
  17. HOIB

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I didn't even bother to read it, because it's typical *clown* BS from a
    clown ****** that must always always always have the last word much like a
    yapping *dog*. ;-)

    So go ahead and make your little MADD *COW* post and have a good day
    K-Looney being the Cockroach(*Troll* is to good for you)/COP/Crock/Clown
    that you can be.

    Duane :) <---- there's that smile again I know it's killing you MADD ONE.
    Duane Arnold, Dec 1, 2004