xp home product key

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john do(pe), Aug 26, 2004.

  1. john do(pe)

    john do(pe) Guest

    Hi.

    I was doing an news install of windows for my neigbour and got stuck at
    entering the licence key.
    It's an system that was bought complete and incluted with win xp home
    version.
    It was brought back one time because of a hard disk failure and they
    asked for the windows disk to reinstall it,.
    It was used for half an year without an antivirus program and when she
    asked to help her out i found it full of viruses and spyware and
    couldn't safe the system.
    Now according to them the product key was on the back of the computer
    and it was a live-long licence.
    I tried to install it but it doesn't want to accept the key.
    Of course the shops help desk tells her; ohw well you must have mistaken
    an B for an 8 and yust bring in the system and all will be fine.
    But i am more then sure that the licence key on the back aint that one
    wich should go along with the cd, but i cant proof it.I've searched on
    the cd but there is no key to be found.Is there a tool ore an trick to
    find out the original code on that cd.?
    Ore do i have to use shouting mode @ the shop?

    any idea's on that?
    Thank you.
    john do(pe), Aug 26, 2004

  2. john do(pe)

    Paul - xxx Guest

    john do(pe)" <"" <mack_dowy\ vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I was doing an news install of windows for my neigbour and got stuck at
    > entering the licence key.
    > It's an system that was bought complete and incluted with win xp home
    > version.
    > It was brought back one time because of a hard disk failure and they
    > asked for the windows disk to reinstall it,.
    > It was used for half an year without an antivirus program and when she
    > asked to help her out i found it full of viruses and spyware and
    > couldn't safe the system.
    > Now according to them the product key was on the back of the computer
    > and it was a live-long licence.
    > I tried to install it but it doesn't want to accept the key.
    > Of course the shops help desk tells her; ohw well you must have mistaken
    > an B for an 8 and yust bring in the system and all will be fine.
    > But i am more then sure that the licence key on the back aint that one
    > wich should go along with the cd, but i cant proof it.I've searched on
    > the cd but there is no key to be found.Is there a tool ore an trick to
    > find out the original code on that cd.?

    I'd format the disk and start completely fresh ...

    > Ore do i have to use shouting mode @ the shop?

    Might work .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 26, 2004

  3. john do(pe)

    Robin Hood Guest

    "john do(pe)" <"" <mack_dowy\"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I was doing an news install of windows for my neigbour and got stuck at
    > entering the licence key.
    > It's an system that was bought complete and incluted with win xp home
    > version.
    > It was brought back one time because of a hard disk failure and they asked
    > for the windows disk to reinstall it,.
    > It was used for half an year without an antivirus program and when she
    > asked to help her out i found it full of viruses and spyware and couldn't
    > safe the system.
    > Now according to them the product key was on the back of the computer and
    > it was a live-long licence.
    > I tried to install it but it doesn't want to accept the key.
    > Of course the shops help desk tells her; ohw well you must have mistaken
    > an B for an 8 and yust bring in the system and all will be fine.
    > But i am more then sure that the licence key on the back aint that one
    > wich should go along with the cd, but i cant proof it.I've searched on the
    > cd but there is no key to be found.Is there a tool ore an trick to find
    > out the original code on that cd.?
    > Ore do i have to use shouting mode @ the shop?
    >
    > any idea's on that?
    > Thank you.

    Yes, the legal way is to take it back to the shop and complain.
    Another (not so legal way) is to get hold of a corporate edition of XP and
    install it using one of the many keys to be found on line.

    For future reference: Search for a keyfinder program and use it on your
    machine and write down the key used. It probably won't be the same number
    that is on the label, because the mass producers of computers copy the
    contents of a working hard disc and fit them into the machines on the
    assembly line. Much quicker than installing Windows on each PC. The provided
    key should work, but I guess in your case it didn't.
    Robin Hood, Aug 26, 2004
  4. john do(pe)

    Jerry G. Guest

    If this is a mass produced machine, you must do this through the manufacture
    service rep. Their machines come pre-loaded and they just do the activation
    for the customer, or the customer can do it online.

    As for the product key, when doing a re-installation, you will have to call
    MS, or bring it back to the dealer, and pay their rate.

    If you are using a clone machine, you can simply put in the product key that
    is on the label, let the machine dialup or connect to the net, and the
    software will do the activation. This can be done only a limited number of
    times. If these times are exceeded, a phone call to MS for re-activation is
    the only thing that will make it work.

    I would think that anyone who is using emails, and exploring the net without
    a current updated virus scanner will soon have problems. The virus scanner
    should be allowed to check for updates, at least once a day or even more
    often if possible. The security levels should also be properly set up.

    I was reading an article about a month ago on one of the news web pages,
    that the expected lifespan of a non protected computer on line, being used
    by a non experienced person, would be about 20 to 40 minutes, before it
    would be infested if there is no protection!

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Aug 26, 2004
  5. john do(pe)

    Jamco Guest

    a cd doesn't have 1 original key. its got many, many keys that would work
    for it.

    Jamco, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Please stop posting the same message.
    You have posted this message three times.
    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!, Aug 26, 2004
  7. john do(pe)

    janquin Guest

    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!! wrote:
    > Please stop posting the same message.
    > You have posted this message three times.

    please stop crying you have been crying all your live..
    janquin, Aug 27, 2004