    the standard xp home operating system or do i need to buy the new xp pro x64
    system disc ?
    Thanks
    JS, Apr 6, 2006

  2. JS

    VWWall Guest

    JS wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Just building a pc which is using a socket 754 processor (64 bit), can i use
    > the standard xp home operating system or do i need to buy the new xp pro x64
    > system disc ?
    > Thanks

    A socket 754 MB takes an AMD Athlon or Sempron CPU. Either will run
    Windows XP (Home or Pro), 32 bit. Either will also run Windows XP Pro
    x64, 64 bit. Drivers for the hardware are another question. Win XP x64
    will run most 32 bit programs, but requires 64 bit drivers for printers,
    scanners, etc., as well as the 64 bit mother board drivers.

    If you're planning on using your present hardware, check for the
    availability of 64 bit drivers.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Apr 6, 2006

  3. JS

    bmoag Guest

    I would strongly encourage you not to rely on Win64 as your sole operating
    system, even if there are drivers available for your peripherals (printer,
    scanner, etc).
    There is no reliable virus protection that works with Win 64 period, no
    matter what you read.
    There is no reliable CD/DVD writing software that works reliably with Winn
    64. There is no packet writing software period.
    There are many incompatibilities between 32 bit Windows programs and Win64,
    including some not so subtle issues with MS Office. There is no video
    editing software that works reliably with Win 64. Photoshop CS2 works pretty
    well along with Epson printer and scanner drivers, but that has been about
    it in my experience. However I could not use my monitor calibrator because
    there are no drivers for Win 64 so I installed the profile from WinXP. This
    is called a kludge, one of many you have to create to be able to do real
    work with Win64.
    Why bother?
    One of the reasons for the variable successes people have using Win64 has to
    do with the unreliability of the basic motherboard drivers, both for Intel
    and AMD compatible chipsets.
    Win64 should only be used for tinkering with in a dual boot system. If you
    are one of the lucky ones for whom it works reliably then knock yourself
    out. You will not see any real world performance gains however and will
    inevitably run into serious instability issues with some software/hardware.
    bmoag, Apr 7, 2006
  4. JS

    -nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:08:31 GMT,
    in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "bmoag" <>
    spewed the following:

    |I would strongly encourage you not to rely on Win64 as your sole operating
    |system, even if there are drivers available for your peripherals (printer,
    |scanner, etc).
    |There is no reliable virus protection that works with Win 64 period, no
    |matter what you read.

    NOD32 works with x64.

    |There is no reliable CD/DVD writing software that works reliably with Winn
    |64. There is no packet writing software period.

    Nero

    <snip>

    There are software incompatibilities, true, but nothing that you can
    not work around. There will be updates and patches for most current
    version programs before the end of the year.The OS is smooth, fast,
    reliable and secure. What more do you need?
    --
    -nos1eep
    -nos1eep, Apr 8, 2006