    Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
    Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.

    Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks
    Woolfie, Aug 14, 2004

  2. "Woolfie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
    > Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
    >
    > Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

    Basically XP Pro has a lot more network oriented services. There are also a
    number of commercial packages that will not work at all on XP Home
    (including a number of accounting packages) probably due to the missing
    network features.

    Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
    controllers. There are many other things which I forget at the moment.

    To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
    connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no, then you
    will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
    probably be better off with WinXP Pro. Note that this is by no means a
    definitive answer - there are many XP Home machines running in networks with
    no problems at all, and most of the features that are missing in XP Home are
    ones that the average person probably would not notice anyway.

    The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
    would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here so that
    people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
    guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
    750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
    this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

    Hope this helps

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Woolfie

    T-Boy Guest

    T-Boy, Aug 14, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
    > Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
    >
    > Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

    read:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    basically if your xp installs need to be managed (i.e. a business)
    you'll want pro.
    wogers nemesis, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Woolfie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:40:06 +1200, Woolfie wrote:

    > Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between Home
    > and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
    >
    > Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

    Pro is *the* version of XP.

    Home is a knobbled version.

    But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are better
    (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.
    Divine, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Andrew Bryson wrote:
    > Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
    > controllers.

    are you certain on the VPN thing?
    Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
    that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
    came with Home.

    > To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
    > connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no, then you
    > will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
    > probably be better off with WinXP Pro.

    this is pretty sound advice.

    > The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
    > would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here so that
    > people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
    > guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
    > 750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
    > this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

    indeed, I was going to say the same.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Divine wrote:
    > But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are better
    > (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

    why should you question his right to choose?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 14, 2004
  8. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > are you certain on the VPN thing?
    > Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
    > that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
    > came with Home.

    Not 100% sure but sure enough. Someone else posted a link that implies that
    VPN might work under home but not actually be useful due to a lack of secure
    authentication. I have not been able to find the part of winxp home that
    allows you to set up a vpn. That said, none of my machines have XP Home and
    I always recommend XP Pro (or linux) to people requiring VPNs :). So it is
    possible that I am wrong on that one.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Woolfie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:03:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are
    >> better (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

    > why should you question his right to choose?

    I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    there.

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Divine wrote:
    >>>But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are
    >>>better (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

    >>why should you question his right to choose?

    > I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    > Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    > there.

    from what they posted "Wanting to get XP quite soon." it looks like they
    have already decided on XP.

    better is relative. better at what?
    safer depends on how it is setup/configured.
    cheaper depends on which costs you are counting.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Woolfie

    Chris Hope Guest

    Andrew Bryson wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> are you certain on the VPN thing?
    >> Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
    >> that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
    >> came with Home.

    > Not 100% sure but sure enough. Someone else posted a link that implies
    > that VPN might work under home but not actually be useful due to a lack of
    > secure authentication. I have not been able to find the part of winxp home
    > that allows you to set up a vpn. That said, none of my machines have XP
    > Home and I always recommend XP Pro (or linux) to people requiring VPNs
    > :). So it is possible that I am wrong on that one.

    I've used both the built-in XP VPN and 3rd party VPN software to connect
    with XP Home.

    Chris Hope, Aug 14, 2004
  12. On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:24:52 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:03:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>> But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are
    >>> better (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

    >> why should you question his right to choose?

    >I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    >Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    >there.

    And No Bloody support, Lunix is a Utter Joke..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 14, 2004
  13. Woolfie

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Andrew Bryson wrote:
    >
    >> Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
    >> controllers.

    > are you certain on the VPN thing?
    > Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
    > that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
    > came with Home.
    >
    >> To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
    >> connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no,
    >> then you
    >> will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
    >> probably be better off with WinXP Pro.

    > this is pretty sound advice.
    >
    >> The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
    >> would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here
    >> so that
    >> people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
    >> guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
    >> 750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
    >> this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

    > indeed, I was going to say the same.

    I would have suggested more ram...320 or 512.

    Pro can use 2 CPUs, home only 1 I believe.

    I think if you have the choice get the OEM Pro, as an OEM product Pro
    wont be much more $ than home.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Aug 14, 2004
  14. Woolfie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:55:33 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    >>Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    >>there.

    > And No Bloody support, Lunix is a Utter Joke.

    If you choose to purchase support, then you have support.

    Most people do not need that sort of support and thus do not purchase it.

    Perhaps you need support.

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 14, 2004
  15. Woolfie

    Chris Hope Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:24:52 +1200, Divine <>
    > wrote:

    >>> why should you question his right to choose?

    >>I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    >>Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    >>there.
    >>

    > And No Bloody support, Lunix is a Utter Joke..

    So what support does the average home user get for Windows from Microsoft?
    Chris Hope, Aug 14, 2004
  16. In article <>,
    says...

    > >> why should you question his right to choose?

    > >I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    > >Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    > >there.
    > >

    > And No Bloody support, Lunix is a Utter Joke..

    Can you not read the documentation Woger?
    wogers nemesis, Aug 14, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
    > Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.

    Pro is more designed for business use with networking. Only Pro users can
    join a network domain in a client server network.

    There is a peer to peer network capability built into Home. It also has
    the ability to create some sort of user accounts to allow each user to
    customise their desktop etc.

    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    See http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 14, 2004
  18. In article <x2gTc.3179$>,
    says...
    > "Woolfie" <> wrote in message
    > > Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
    > > Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
    > >
    > > Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

    > Basically XP Pro has a lot more network oriented services. There are also a
    > number of commercial packages that will not work at all on XP Home
    > (including a number of accounting packages) probably due to the missing
    > network features.
    >
    > Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
    > controllers. There are many other things which I forget at the moment.
    >
    > To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
    > connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no, then you
    > will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
    > probably be better off with WinXP Pro. Note that this is by no means a
    > definitive answer - there are many XP Home machines running in networks with
    > no problems at all, and most of the features that are missing in XP Home are
    > ones that the average person probably would not notice anyway.

    Bear in mind that a Home user can connect to a network server - only in
    workgroup (peer to peer) mode. They will get asked for a username and
    password, and can tell XP to remember what they type in.

    > The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
    > would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here so that
    > people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
    > guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
    > 750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
    > this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

    You can get away with 128 MB on a low spec system, although it is rather
    slow to load the user profile at logon.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 14, 2004
  19. In article <1092472709_3699@216.128.74.129>,
    says...
    > The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:24:52 +1200, Divine <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
    > >>Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
    > >>there.
    > >>

    > > And No Bloody support, Lunix is a Utter Joke..

    > So what support does the average home user get for Windows from Microsoft?

    If they buy OEM then the supplier is responsible for support not MS.

    Our two new machines came with a 3 year warranty. One of them was back to
    the supplier this week to have the HDD and cable replaced.

    Everyone has access to MS's support site, for as long as XP is supported.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 14, 2004
  20. Woolfie

    Chris Hope Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> So what support does the average home user get for Windows from
    >> Microsoft?

    > If they buy OEM then the supplier is responsible for support not MS.
    >
    > Our two new machines came with a 3 year warranty. One of them was back to
    > the supplier this week to have the HDD and cable replaced.

    That sounds like hardware support issue to me, not a "Windows isn't working
    please help me" type of support issue. My Windows machine wouldn't boot
    yesterday (issue with the master boot record which the recovery console in
    XP just wouldn't fix) but I would doubt MS would be interested in helping
    me if I called them. In the end I had to boot using a Knoppix CD and zero
    out the MBR using the dd utility.

    > Everyone has access to MS's support site, for as long as XP is supported.

    Yes, everyone has access to their support site, regardless of whether you
    are a Windows user or not. This is no different from Linux support. There
    seems to be this myth that when you buy Windows you are supported by
    Microsoft but there's no more support for Windows than there is for Linux
    and other free operating systems. It's all support on the web.
    Chris Hope, Aug 14, 2004