    Event ID: 61
    Date: 09/26/03
    Time: 00:13:03
    User: S-1-5-21-3315632809-1445822958-3932215909-1019
    Computer: DESKTOP
    The document Test - Notepad owned by xxxxxxxx failed to print.
    Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5 (0x5).
    The above link appears to be dead.
    I could find nothing searching events at MS under source=print, id=61.
    I could find nothing anywhere at MS for this problem doing a number of
    serches with various search arguments.
    I also had the same problem with the prior printer that I had, an HP -
    this is a Epson C82. Both attached via USB. Printer works from
    administrator users on the local machine and also a networked machine.

    Microsoft Windows Home Edition
    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 - Service pack 1)

    User xxxxxxxx does NOT have administrator authority.

    Does anyone have any idea why a non-administrative user can not print
    with XP home? More importantly, does anyone have a fix for this?

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Frosted Flake, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Frosted Flake

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:31:04 GMT, Frosted Flake wrote:

    >I created a non-administrator (limited) user on Windows XP home. When
    >that user tries to print from any application, notepad, or the DOS
    >prompt, nothing is printed. From Notepad, the normal printer dialog
    >comes up but nothing ever appears in the printer progress window nor

    Networked printer or connected locally to back of a PC?

    >does any printour occur. When I looked in Event Viewer - System, I got
    >the following information about the error:
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Print
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 61

    > Date: 09/26/03
    > Time: 00:13:03
    > User: S-1-5-21-3315632809-1445822958-3932215909-1019
    > Computer: DESKTOP
    > The document Test - Notepad owned by xxxxxxxx failed to print.
    > Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5 (0x5).

    Nothing for 'Win32 near 0x5', either.

    Google,
    http://www.freelists.org/archives/windows2000/12-2002/msg00005.html

    >The above link appears to be dead.
    >I could find nothing searching events at MS under source=print, id=61.

    Expanded the search to non-XP

    Had a look at MS Technet Sept 2003 KB DVD, nothing for Event near 61 in
    the XP listing. However it appears in the Win 2000 section.

    The System Event Log Contains Many Event 61 Entries
    PSS ID Number: 810647
    After you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) , you may see many
    error event 61 entries in the System event log:
    Event ID: 61
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Print

    Are there any other events, logged the same time with different IDs?
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=61&eventno=47

    <snip>

    >Does anyone have any idea why a non-administrative user can not print
    >with XP home? More importantly, does anyone have a fix for this?

    Create a user Group PrinterXXXX , add users to the group and in printer
    properties, security add this group, maybe.

    Me

    why?, Sep 26, 2003

  3. why? wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:31:04 GMT, Frosted Flake wrote:
    >
    >>I created a non-administrator (limited) user on Windows XP home. When
    >>that user tries to print from any application, notepad, or the DOS
    >>prompt, nothing is printed. From Notepad, the normal printer dialog
    >>comes up but nothing ever appears in the printer progress window nor

    > Networked printer or connected locally to back of a PC?

    Connected locally - as I indicated later down, a networked admin user
    can print as can a local admin. It is a local non-admin user that can not.

    >>does any printour occur. When I looked in Event Viewer - System, I got
    >>the following information about the error:
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: Print
    >> Event Category: None
    >> Event ID: 61

    >> Date: 09/26/03
    >> Time: 00:13:03
    >> User: S-1-5-21-3315632809-1445822958-3932215909-1019
    >> Computer: DESKTOP
    >> The document Test - Notepad owned by xxxxxxxx failed to print.
    >> Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5 (0x5).

    > Nothing for 'Win32 near 0x5', either.
    >
    > Google,
    > http://www.freelists.org/archives/windows2000/12-2002/msg00005.html

    >>The above link appears to be dead.
    >>I could find nothing searching events at MS under source=print, id=61.

    > Expanded the search to non-XP
    >
    > Had a look at MS Technet Sept 2003 KB DVD, nothing for Event near 61 in
    > the XP listing. However it appears in the Win 2000 section.
    >
    > The System Event Log Contains Many Event 61 Entries
    > PSS ID Number: 810647
    > After you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) , you may see many
    > error event 61 entries in the System event log:
    > Event ID: 61
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Print
    >

    > Are there any other events, logged the same time with different IDs?
    > http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=61&eventno=47

    No

    > <snip>
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any idea why a non-administrative user can not print
    >>with XP home? More importantly, does anyone have a fix for this?

    > Create a user Group PrinterXXXX , add users to the group and in printer
    > properties, security add this group, maybe.
    >
    > Me

    How does one do this with XP HOME??? There is no Security in printer
    properties when doing a control right click (or left click). I've been
    here before and it looks as though the only way for a non-admin user to
    print on XP is to buy XP Pro - it isn't worth it.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Frosted Flake, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Frosted Flake

    Billh Guest

    Rest assured a limited user in XP Home can print there is no need to go to
    XP Pro. And I agree going on about setting up groups and permissions is not
    something that is pertinent. I wish people would get the nuances down.

    Anyway the best advice I can give is try reinstalling the printer. Or
    setting up a second limited account and seeing if they can print maybe
    something is messed up with the first account.

    Billh, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Billh wrote:

    > Rest assured a limited user in XP Home can print there is no need to go to
    > XP Pro. And I agree going on about setting up groups and permissions is not
    > something that is pertinent. I wish people would get the nuances down.
    >
    > Anyway the best advice I can give is try reinstalling the printer. Or
    > setting up a second limited account and seeing if they can print maybe
    > something is messed up with the first account.

    OK, I tried setting up another account, no difference.
    I deleted the printer with a limited user account set up and then
    reinstalled the same printer, no difference.
    If I have the printer open on the limited account when I sent the
    notepad file to print, I can see the file being sent to the printer and
    then it goes away but nothing gets to the printer. This has got to be
    some kind of permissions thing with the WinPrint print processor. The
    only other print processor is jDocPrc but it only supports NT EMF 1.003
    as the data type so I don't think that would work.
    I turned off spooling and will see how that works after I recreate a
    limited account. More to come later.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Frosted Flake, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Frosted Flake wrote:

    > Billh wrote:
    >
    >> Rest assured a limited user in XP Home can print there is no need to go to
    >> XP Pro. And I agree going on about setting up groups and permissions is not
    >> something that is pertinent. I wish people would get the nuances down.
    >>
    >> Anyway the best advice I can give is try reinstalling the printer. Or
    >> setting up a second limited account and seeing if they can print maybe
    >> something is messed up with the first account.
    >>

    > OK, I tried setting up another account, no difference.
    > I deleted the printer with a limited user account set up and then
    > reinstalled the same printer, no difference.
    > If I have the printer open on the limited account when I sent the
    > notepad file to print, I can see the file being sent to the printer and
    > then it goes away but nothing gets to the printer. This has got to be
    > some kind of permissions thing with the WinPrint print processor. The
    > only other print processor is jDocPrc but it only supports NT EMF 1.003
    > as the data type so I don't think that would work.
    > I turned off spooling and will see how that works after I recreate a
    > limited account. More to come later.
    >
    >> "Frosted Flake" <> wrote in message

    >>> Connected locally - as I indicated later down, a networked admin user
    >>> can print as can a local admin. It is a local non-admin user that can

    >> not.

    >>> No

    >>> How does one do this with XP HOME??? There is no Security in printer
    >>> properties when doing a control right click (or left click). I've been
    >>> here before and it looks as though the only way for a non-admin user to
    >>> print on XP is to buy XP Pro - it isn't worth it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Frosted Flake
    >>> +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Wonder of wonders - I turned OFF print spooling at the administrator
    account and now the limited account prints. I still see the print file
    go through the printer status and it gets sent to the printer and prints
    properly. I'll have to do more testing with larger files and those
    created by something other than Notepad but at least this is a step in
    the right direction.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Frosted Flake, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Frosted Flake

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:20:21 -0400, Billh wrote:

    >Rest assured a limited user in XP Home can print there is no need to go to

    Well if the OP had even bothered to say that groups/permissions were
    already looked at then a different suggestion may have been offered.

    >XP Pro. And I agree going on about setting up groups and permissions is not

    It's not pertinent now, as it was only mentioned in a latter post it was
    looked at, and there are no settings for this.

    Groups/Permissions has also worked in every other version of MS Win that
    I have been using for years.

    >something that is pertinent. I wish people would get the nuances down.

    So acting like a little kid with your opprobrious epithets keeps you
    happy then?

    why?, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Frosted Flake

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:37:16 GMT, Frosted Flake wrote:

    >Frosted Flake wrote:
    >
    >> Billh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rest assured a limited user in XP Home can print there is no need to go to

    <snip>

    >>> Anyway the best advice I can give is try reinstalling the printer. Or
    >>> setting up a second limited account and seeing if they can print maybe
    >>> something is messed up with the first account.
    >>>

    >> OK, I tried setting up another account, no difference.

    <snip>
    >> some kind of permissions thing with the WinPrint print processor. The

    So it's permissions then? Or at least MS messed things up using Win9x
    non security then making WinXP home replace it with admin/non-admin.

    >> only other print processor is jDocPrc but it only supports NT EMF 1.003
    >> as the data type so I don't think that would work.
    >> I turned off spooling and will see how that works after I recreate a
    >> limited account. More to come later.
    >>
    >>> "Frosted Flake" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >Wonder of wonders - I turned OFF print spooling at the administrator
    >account and now the limited account prints. I still see the print file

    Check the security (several places, mention it for XP Home) on the
    directory <windows dir>\system32\spool since you are not spooling via
    that directory anymore it appears to work now.

    You may need to simply provide write / change access to the spool
    directory to allow the spool file to be written/deleted.

    >go through the printer status and it gets sent to the printer and prints
    >properly. I'll have to do more testing with larger files and those
    >created by something other than Notepad but at least this is a step in
    >the right direction.

    How about for each user creating a My Documents\Spool folder and setting
    the spooler to spool via a users directory rather than a system (as it
    is now) directory.

    MS also seem a bit confused, as they have a section on permissions as
    well.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/print_limit_accessP.asp>

    Some bits, mention locally connected and the next says 'if networked'.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/longlist.asp
    http://aumha.org/win5/kb.htm

    A couple of XP forums,
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/p.htm
    http://www.annoyances.org/

    Me

    why?, Sep 27, 2003
  9. why? wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:37:16 GMT, Frosted Flake wrote:
    >
    >>Frosted Flake wrote:

    > <snip>

    >>> OK, I tried setting up another account, no difference.

    > <snip>
    >>> some kind of permissions thing with the WinPrint print processor. The

    > So it's permissions then? Or at least MS messed things up using Win9x
    > non security then making WinXP home replace it with admin/non-admin.
    >
    >>> only other print processor is jDocPrc but it only supports NT EMF 1.003
    >>> as the data type so I don't think that would work.
    >>> I turned off spooling and will see how that works after I recreate a
    >>> limited account. More to come later.

    > <snip>
    >>>>

    >>Wonder of wonders - I turned OFF print spooling at the administrator
    >>account and now the limited account prints. I still see the print file

    > Check the security (several places, mention it for XP Home) on the
    > directory <windows dir>\system32\spool since you are not spooling via
    > that directory anymore it appears to work now.
    >
    > You may need to simply provide write / change access to the spool
    > directory to allow the spool file to be written/deleted.

    There is NO Security selection in any menu when I select anything with a
    right click (or left click) with control (or alt, or shift, or any
    combination of the preceeding). I have never been able to find a
    'Security' option anywhere on Windows XP HOME.

    >>go through the printer status and it gets sent to the printer and prints
    >>properly. I'll have to do more testing with larger files and those
    >>created by something other than Notepad but at least this is a step in
    >>the right direction.

    > How about for each user creating a My Documents\Spool folder and setting
    > the spooler to spool via a users directory rather than a system (as it
    > is now) directory.

    It is easy to create the spool folder but, how do you set the spooler to
    use it. There is nothing under the printer where you select spooling or
    not to select a folder or file to use. This is XP HOME. When I was
    running Win 95, I could do that. I went right from 95B to XP Home.

    > MS also seem a bit confused, as they have a section on permissions as
    > well.
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/print_limit_accessP.asp>
    >
    > Some bits, mention locally connected and the next says 'if networked'.
    >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/longlist.asp
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kb.htm
    >
    > A couple of XP forums,
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/p.htm
    > http://www.annoyances.org/
    >

    > Me

    Yup - they also seem to confuse XP HOME with XP PRO in a lot of places.
    From day 1, when I went to MS to get help on XP Home, I could not
    follow their directions because something was missing (mostly the
    'Security' thing, I never have found it). When I talk to people using
    XP Pro, I get, Oh, it's there, do ... Well, it ain't found in XP Home.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+

    Frosted Flake, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Frosted Flake

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:53:48 GMT, Frosted Flake wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >> <snip>

    <snip>

    <snip>

    <snip>
    >>>Wonder of wonders - I turned OFF print spooling at the administrator
    >>>account and now the limited account prints. I still see the print file

    >> Check the security (several places, mention it for XP Home) on the
    >> directory <windows dir>\system32\spool since you are not spooling via
    >> that directory anymore it appears to work now.
    >>
    >> You may need to simply provide write / change access to the spool
    >> directory to allow the spool file to be written/deleted.

    >There is NO Security selection in any menu when I select anything with a
    >right click (or left click) with control (or alt, or shift, or any
    >combination of the preceeding). I have never been able to find a
    >'Security' option anywhere on Windows XP HOME.

    The the MS pages, the URL (from earlier) must be wrong. As you said
    below, MS can't get it straight.

    <snip>
    >> How about for each user creating a My Documents\Spool folder and setting
    >> the spooler to spool via a users directory rather than a system (as it
    >> is now) directory.

    >It is easy to create the spool folder but, how do you set the spooler to
    >use it. There is nothing under the printer where you select spooling or
    >not to select a folder or file to use. This is XP HOME. When I was

    It's been mentioned in several searches from www.google.com and some of
    the XP discussion lists. It's up to you to go check all those out and
    see if the similar situations / solutions apply to you.

    <snip>
    >> Me

    >Yup - they also seem to confuse XP HOME with XP PRO in a lot of places.
    > From day 1, when I went to MS to get help on XP Home, I could not
    >follow their directions because something was missing (mostly the
    >'Security' thing, I never have found it). When I talk to people using
    >XP Pro, I get, Oh, it's there, do ... Well, it ain't found in XP Home.

    Don't know then.

    How did the XP forums (URLs posted last time work out)?

    May a bit of a different slant, try www.google.com for info describing
    the differences between admin/limited accounts. Maybe you can get a good
    idea of the differences for a work around.

    Me

    why?, Sep 27, 2003