    partition, no network so cant really back up anywhere...... then jump into
    Regedit and play :)

    But looks like repair or <shudder> Compaq restore disc....

    XPD, Jun 30, 2005

  2. XPD

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm not having a good week with Winblows....... XP Home on a laptop, had a
    > virus + spyware + dialers.... removed all 3 things, and now Windows
    > appears to load fine until you actually log in... backdrop appears and
    > that's it. No start menu, taskbar etc, nudda. Same in Safe Mode.

    Are you sure that you haven't just dragged it to the bottom of the screen?

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 30, 2005

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Mr Scebe" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm not having a good week with Winblows....... XP Home on a laptop, had
    >> a virus + spyware + dialers.... removed all 3 things, and now Windows
    >> appears to load fine until you actually log in... backdrop appears and
    >> that's it. No start menu, taskbar etc, nudda. Same in Safe Mode.

    > Are you sure that you haven't just dragged it to the bottom of the screen?
    >
    > --
    > Mr Scebe
    > Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
    > Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
    > ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Hehe I wish it were that simple :p
    Nope... tis gone.... hitting Windows key, or Ctrl-Esc does nudda....

    XPD, Jun 30, 2005
  4. XPD

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:45:49 +1200, "XPD" <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >I'm not having a good week with Winblows....... XP Home on a laptop, had a
    >virus + spyware + dialers.... removed all 3 things, and now Windows appears
    >to load fine until you actually log in... backdrop appears and that's it. No
    >start menu, taskbar etc, nudda. Same in Safe Mode.
    >Can do Ctrl Alt Del and access task manager and access the virus scanner etc
    >but Windows will not let me load Iexplore.exe or Explorer.exe - says they
    >don't exist - even though this is after selecting them from the "New Task"
    >option.......... ideas ? Network isn't available with this carry on so cant
    >even get the damn system online.......
    >
    >Ideally, Id love to backup the system somehow but its only got one
    >partition, no network so cant really back up anywhere...... then jump into
    >Regedit and play :)
    >
    >But looks like repair or <shudder> Compaq restore disc....

    First, try clicking CTRL-Escape, and see if the start menu comes up.

    I doubt it will. I've seen this problem twice on Compaqs, and both
    times the only fix was a clean install.

    H.O.G, Jun 30, 2005
  5. XPD

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:45:49 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >I'm not having a good week with Winblows....... XP Home on a laptop, had a
    >virus + spyware + dialers.... removed all 3 things, and now Windows appears
    >to load fine until you actually log in... backdrop appears and that's it. No
    >start menu, taskbar etc, nudda. Same in Safe Mode.
    >Can do Ctrl Alt Del and access task manager and access the virus scanner etc
    >but Windows will not let me load Iexplore.exe or Explorer.exe - says they
    >don't exist - even though this is after selecting them from the "New Task"
    >option.......... ideas ? Network isn't available with this carry on so cant
    >even get the damn system online.......
    >
    >Ideally, Id love to backup the system somehow but its only got one
    >partition, no network so cant really back up anywhere...... then jump into
    >Regedit and play :)
    >
    >But looks like repair or <shudder> Compaq restore disc....

    A couple of things I found:

    -----
    Please try the following steps to solve the issue:

    1. Start your Windows XP to Desktop.

    2. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del key to open the Task Manager.

    3. Click File menu and click "New Tasks (run...)"

    4. Type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the box and click OK.

    5. Type following command into the prompt window:

    Reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs" /v ObjectName /t REG_SZ
    /d LocalSystem (Press Enter Key)

    6. Restart your computer and test the issue again.

    ------

    You can try downloading these files in Safemode and running them in Normal mode
    by opening the folder where u saved these files from Task Manager>New Task

    Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg

    Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

    source >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    If this fails, then try this, when u will boot in Normal mode, bring task
    manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+del and click New Task
    write msconfig and hit enter, now from the Startup section, click on Disable All
    and then in Services section, click on Hide Microsoft Services, and then disable
    all those third party services, now close msconfig, and from task
    manager>Shutdown menu, choose Restart, and check if same problem is happening
    still ??
    -----

    Invisible, Jun 30, 2005
  6. XPD

    Caught Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:45:49 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>I'm not having a good week with Winblows....... XP Home on a laptop, had a
    >>virus + spyware + dialers.... removed all 3 things, and now Windows
    >>appears
    >>to load fine until you actually log in... backdrop appears and that's it.
    >>No
    >>start menu, taskbar etc, nudda. Same in Safe Mode.
    >>Can do Ctrl Alt Del and access task manager and access the virus scanner
    >>etc
    >>but Windows will not let me load Iexplore.exe or Explorer.exe - says they
    >>don't exist - even though this is after selecting them from the "New Task"
    >>option.......... ideas ? Network isn't available with this carry on so
    >>cant
    >>even get the damn system online.......
    >>
    >>Ideally, Id love to backup the system somehow but its only got one
    >>partition, no network so cant really back up anywhere...... then jump into
    >>Regedit and play :)
    >>
    >>But looks like repair or <shudder> Compaq restore disc....
    >>

    > First, try clicking CTRL-Escape, and see if the start menu comes up.
    >
    > I doubt it will. I've seen this problem twice on Compaqs, and both
    > times the only fix was a clean install.

    H.O.G

    This has happened to my young boys machine. Your help is needed here - what
    do you mean by a 'clean install'?
    We are not extremely computer literate - so your advice would be
    appreciated.

    Caught, Jun 30, 2005
  7. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Caught" <> wrote in message

    >> I doubt it will. I've seen this problem twice on Compaqs, and both
    >> times the only fix was a clean install.

    > H.O.G
    >
    > This has happened to my young boys machine. Your help is needed here -
    > what
    > do you mean by a 'clean install'?
    > We are not extremely computer literate - so your advice would be
    > appreciated.

    Clean install means start from scratch...... wipe the HDD and reinstall from
    your supplied Windows CD / supplier recovery CD.
    This means youd lose everything on the drive however. (Documents etc)
    If you know a "geek", get them to try and back everything up for you first,
    unless youre in the same boat as me and cant do anything with the system :)

    XPD, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    XPD wrote:
    > "Caught" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>>I doubt it will. I've seen this problem twice on Compaqs, and both
    >>>times the only fix was a clean install.

    >>H.O.G
    >>
    >>This has happened to my young boys machine. Your help is needed here -
    >>what
    >>do you mean by a 'clean install'?
    >>We are not extremely computer literate - so your advice would be
    >>appreciated.

    > Clean install means start from scratch...... wipe the HDD and reinstall from
    > your supplied Windows CD / supplier recovery CD.
    > This means youd lose everything on the drive however. (Documents etc)

    If Windows is not booting properly then a Linux LiveCD could help.
    Dick Smiths have Knoppix 3.7 for $10, and if he has a CD-burner he
    could mount the Windows disk, and use k3b to burn important docs
    to CD before nuking the hard disk with a clean install...

    Just has to ensure that CD is 1st boot device from the BIOS, and
    it should be no trouble...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 30, 2005
  9. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Thanks all, none of the ideas mentioned worked, so a complete reinstall was
    reqd.... at least I managed to get a Ghost image so havent lost anything :)

    Cheers

    XPD, Jul 1, 2005
  10. XPD

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:52:49 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks all, none of the ideas mentioned worked, so a complete reinstall was
    >reqd.... at least I managed to get a Ghost image so havent lost anything :)
    >
    >Cheers

    Did you not Try a XP repair..?

    Tony, Jul 1, 2005
  11. XPD

    Epsom, Surry Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Thanks all, none of the ideas mentioned worked, so a complete reinstall was
    >reqd.... at least I managed to get a Ghost image so havent lost anything :)
    >
    >Cheers

    what about booting into safe mode?
    or R for repair?

    Epsom, Surry, Jul 1, 2005
  12. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:52:49 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks all, none of the ideas mentioned worked, so a complete reinstall
    >>was
    >>reqd.... at least I managed to get a Ghost image so havent lost anything
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>

    > Did you not Try a XP repair..?

    Yup, repair was tried and failed to help as well.

    XPD, Jul 1, 2005
  13. XPD

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:32:42 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:52:49 +1200, "XPD" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks all, none of the ideas mentioned worked, so a complete reinstall
    >>>was
    >>>reqd.... at least I managed to get a Ghost image so havent lost anything
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>

    >> Did you not Try a XP repair..?
    >>

    >Yup, repair was tried and failed to help as well.

    Was that the Command like repair option.,?

    That is not the Repair one to use..

    Its the Install one, as if it sees a existing install it will ask if you want
    a repair or a clean install over the top..

    Tony, Jul 2, 2005