    ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.

    Any ideas appreciated.

    Thanks

    Matt, Oct 18, 2007

  2. Matt

    Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
    >wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
    >same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
    >to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
    >ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
    >
    >Any ideas appreciated.

    It should be checked by default, but make sure your "simple file
    sharing is checked".
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/ht/winxpsfs.htm
    --

    Survival
    http://www.tuxick.net/pics/humor/art-of-survival.jpg

    , Oct 18, 2007

  3. Matt

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, wrote:

    > "Matt" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
    >>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
    >>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
    >>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
    >>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
    >>
    >>Any ideas appreciated.

    Go to Start and Run services.msc

    Browse the list and find the Server and Computer Browser services -
    they need to be Started to do what you want.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Oct 19, 2007
  4. Matt

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, wrote:

    > "Matt" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
    >>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
    >>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
    >>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
    >>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
    >>
    >>Any ideas appreciated.

    Oops, the Workstation service also needs to be Started

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Oct 19, 2007
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "Gaius Baltar" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> "Matt" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop
    >>>on
    >>>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are
    >>>the
    >>>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
    >>>ping
    >>>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
    >>>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas appreciated.

    > Oops, the Workstation service also needs to be Started

    They are all started on both

    Cannot ping to Main PC from LT now

    Matt, Oct 19, 2007
  6. Matt wrote:

    > Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
    > wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
    > same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
    > ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup
    > with ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both
    > off.
    >
    > Any ideas appreciated.

    On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
    Come back with the results.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 19, 2007
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop
    >> on
    >> wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are
    >> the
    >> same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
    >> ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup
    >> with ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both
    >> off.
    >>
    >> Any ideas appreciated.
    >>

    > On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
    > Come back with the results.

    It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking somehow so I
    uninstalled it and it all works.

    Thanks to all

    Matt, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Matt wrote:

    > It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking somehow so
    > I uninstalled it and it all works.

    Ah well ... thanks :)
    Now why do I always rant about virus scanner programs that don't do virus
    scanning very well, but otherwise want to be everything but the kitchen
    sink?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Matt

    kráftéé Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote
    > in message news:...
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and
    >>> Laptop on
    >>> wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared,
    >>> workgroup are the
    >>> same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and
    >>> cannot ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also
    >>> tried same setup with ubuntu on Main PC with same result.
    >>> Firewall on router and xp both off.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas appreciated.
    >>>

    >> On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
    >> Come back with the results.
    >>

    > It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking
    > somehow so I uninstalled it and it all works.
    >
    > Thanks to all

    It happens to us all, my last one had me berating my router, when it
    was the firewall box which had locked up.

    kráftéé, Nov 7, 2007