    causing me issues.
    Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can with XP
    Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

    =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=, Mar 29, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

    James Gockel Guest

    XP Home and Xp Pro in that department arent any different as far as I
    know...
    You can't have multiple static ip settings in either! But the best option I
    can tell you right now is (1) using hardware profiles (I've never used this
    personally but I assume) you can set up entirely different settings for
    hardware in different hardware profiles. (2) Change your router's setings at
    home to allow your same settings for your work settings. You may have to
    consult your router's manual for this, which most routers don't come with
    good manuals so you may need to go to the manufactures site and see what
    info they can give you.

    But try the hardware profiles first, I might try it too, because I have some
    stuff I want to try with different settings for my wireless (and
    bridging)... hmmm. You've made me think of trying somthing.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 29, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

    James Gockel Guest

    Well I just rained on my own parade. Aparently network connections are not
    hardware. Nor are they hardware settings. So why would I think hardware
    profiles allow me to save a bridge in one and a non-bridge in a nother.
    Though I don't know about the actual settings themselves for the wireless
    adapter, they may stay in hardware profiles. So good luck. As I go delete my
    extra profile. (Now I'm thinking about an actual user profile... can I set
    up a bridge in a user, and a nonbridge user?) I should just go to bed...
    heh.
    Good luck with trying hardware profiles for adapter settings.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

    Malke Guest

    johnt wrote:

    > I have a laptop which is currently setup for use at my office and
    > requires a specific DNS address, so that the office scanner is able to
    > identify my PC and return scanned images directly to it (so my
    > Administartor informs me). I need to setup another connection for my
    > home office, which is also wireless enabled. Both wireless systems use
    > the same IP address range when automatically assigning addresses. It
    > is only the DNS entries that seem to be causing me issues.
    > Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can
    > with XP Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

    Yes, you can. This has nothing to do with the operating system being Pro
    or Home. There are two ways of doing this: natively and with
    third-party multinetwork managers.

    For the native way, you can use the Alternate Configuration for your
    wireless connection. For ex., my son's laptop needs to connect
    wirelessly at school with a static IP address on network 192.168.2.xxx.
    At home, the laptop needs to connect dynamically on network
    192.168.1.xxx. By using the Alternate Configuration for the second
    network, the laptop will use the first network settings and then time
    out when it can't connect. It will then switch over to the second
    network settings and connect. It takes < 30 seconds.

    If you don't want to wait for the time out or need more than two
    configurations, use a third-party multinetwork manager.

    Here are links to help you with all of this:

    Automatic Configuration for Multiple Networks -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/autoconfig.mspx

    Third-party:
    http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
    http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

    optikl Guest

    James Gockel wrote:
    > XP Home and Xp Pro in that department arent any different as far as I
    > know...
    > You can't have multiple static ip settings in either! But the best option I
    > can tell you right now is (1) using hardware profiles (I've never used this
    > personally but I assume) you can set up entirely different settings for
    > hardware in different hardware profiles. (2) Change your router's setings at
    > home to allow your same settings for your work settings. You may have to
    > consult your router's manual for this, which most routers don't come with
    > good manuals so you may need to go to the manufactures site and see what
    > info they can give you.
    >
    > But try the hardware profiles first, I might try it too, because I have some
    > stuff I want to try with different settings for my wireless (and
    > bridging)... hmmm. You've made me think of trying somthing.
    > -James G.

    I doubt it's his router that will care; it's his ISP. I can't imagine
    his ISP will have the same DNS as does his work.

    He can always change (assuming he has the proper permission to) his
    network adapter configuration to obtain his DNS server address
    automatically. My company IT folks assign as static DNS address, but for
    laptop (mobile users) that's not going to work connecting from outside
    the network.

    optikl, Mar 30, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

    James Gockel Guest

    yeah, I overlooked that point.
    I forget that you're forced to put the DNS addresses in also when you do
    static ips.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 30, 2006