XP Home freezing

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom MacIntyre, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 09:31:25 -0700, "Dale Cormier"
    <> wrote:

    >I just picked up this old system (PII 350) from a neighbour and brought it
    >home to it freezing within two min. of loading, everytime. I can only keep
    >it running in Safe Mode. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

    ....or try a reinstall-over...whatever the offending file/setting is
    may be overwritten. Any way to back it up first?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Dale Cormier wrote:
    > I also forgot to include the fact that my computer here doesn't recognize
    > the cd-rom drive either.

    > XP Home - 5.1.2600 Build 2600
    > x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2 Genuine Intel 350Mhz
    > Award Software, Inc. ASUS P3B-1394 ACPI BIOS Revision 2002, 10/28/1999
    > SMBIOS Version 2.0
    > 192MB PC133 RAM
    > 8MB Shared - Trident Video Accelerator 3D Image975
    > AOpen CD-936E/AKW

    Dale, My fiance had a PC like this. Apart from the video accelerator,
    BIOS version and, a different mobo, everything else was practically the
    same.

    For XP Home, I would recommend 512MB PC133 RAM because, my fiance had
    the same 192MB PC133 RAM. She also had XP Home on her P-II 350Mhz.

    I couldn't wait to get rid of the dinosaur. She now has a:

    P-IV 2.66Ghz
    512MB PC-133 RAM
    72GB HD
    ASUS 52X CD-R/W

    If you can, you need to upgrade the RAM to 512MB

    Christopher
    Christopher Range, Oct 29, 2005

  3. I have found that such problems are often related to bad power supply, flaky
    memory, or overheating CPU. But since it does run in Safe Mode it could just
    be a software conflict or memory leak. Try using msconfig [type msconfig in
    the run box] to do selective startup where you can disable many startup
    services and applications and then you may be able to isolate the process
    involved if that is what it is. While in Safe Mode scan for spyware and
    malware. Something like AdAware SE is free and a good start. For malware
    download and run Sysclean and the latest pattern file from Trend Micro. The
    great thing about Sysclean is that it does not have to be installed - just
    download it and the pattern file to a common folder, unzip the pattern file,
    and start Sysclean. With the cover off use some compressed air to blow out
    the CPU heatsink and in general clean up, verify that the fans are running
    for the CPU fan and power supply, and double check that the cables for power
    supply and drives [data and power] are securely connected. Also download
    Everest Home which is free and will display a lot of information about the
    computer and can display CPU fan RPM, CPU temperature, and power supply
    voltages under computer\sensor. --- Steve

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Sysclean
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ --- AdAware SE. Down load
    from Cnet link
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html --- Everest Home

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Tom MacIntyre

    SBFan2000 Guest

    My system was doing the exact same thing about 2 months ago, new PS solved
    the problem!

    SBFan2000, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Tom MacIntyre

    Dale Cormier Guest

    Dale Cormier, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Tom MacIntyre

    Dale Cormier Guest

    Dale Cormier, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Tom MacIntyre

    colddove Guest

    I have a new system on the way. I have two older systems here and I'm having
    the same problem on both systems with them both not recognizing 3 different
    cdroms drives

    colddove, Oct 29, 2005
  8. On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:29:25 -0700, "colddove"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a new system on the way. I have two older systems here and I'm having
    >the same problem on both systems with them both not recognizing 3 different
    >cdroms drives

    An older version of Easy CD Creator would cause this with XP...

    Maybe that's it?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Tom MacIntyre

    colddove Guest

    There's nothing on one or my hdd's and the other keeps freezing. Both don't
    recongize any one or the three cdroms in two completely different systems.
    Same error on both systems.

    colddove, Oct 31, 2005