    them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend in the
    fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.

    Ta

    BT, Jun 18, 2004

  2. "BT" <> wrote in message
    news:HytAc.784$...
    > Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to do a
    > major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have backed up
    > any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the other
    > side.
    >
    > Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with PC,
    > booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is there more
    > to it than that ?
    >
    > Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going ahead
    > with this ?
    >
    > And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &
    > stopping
    > them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend in the
    > fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
    >
    > Ta

    From personal experience:

    - use the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to back up the stuff you want to
    keep
    - disconnect off the net !!!
    - boot off the CD and select "Format and Install"
    - make coffee
    - apply patches (have you got the Windows Security Update CD ?)
    - once you have rebooted AND have a firewall on and enabled...
    - reconnect to the net and run Windows Update
    - enable automatic notification of updates

    I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and have
    found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call. SP2 is good
    for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls and
    autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware etc.

    HTH

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Jun 18, 2004

  3. BT

    Brett Cooper Guest

    The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
    floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
    think it's 5 disks you need for the job.

    Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm

    This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,00.asp

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 18, 2004
  4. "Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
    > floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
    > think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
    >
    > Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
    >
    > This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,00.asp
    >
    > Brett
    >
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:37 +1200, "BT" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to do a
    >>major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have backed up
    >>any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the other
    >>side.
    >>
    >>Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with PC,
    >>booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is there more
    >>to it than that ?
    >>
    >>Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going ahead
    >>with this ?
    >>
    >>And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &
    >>stopping
    >>them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend in the
    >>fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
    >>
    >>Ta

    This is news to me. The WinXP CD's are bootable, all I've ever done is drop
    the CD in the drive, reboot, reformat and reinstall

    Brett Roberts, Jun 18, 2004
  5. BT

    Chris Hope Guest

    Brett Cooper wrote:

    > The home edition takes a little more to get it going.  MS have a series of
    > floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home.  I
    > think it's 5 disks you need for the job.

    Didn't have to do that when I installed and re-installed XP Home on my
    computer. The CD is bootable so no need for floppies.

    Chris Hope, Jun 18, 2004
  6. BT

    Steven H Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:37 +1200, BT wrote:

    > Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to do a
    > major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have backed up
    > any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the other
    > side.
    >
    > Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with PC,
    > booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is there more
    > to it than that ?
    >
    > Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going ahead
    > with this ?
    >
    > And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc & stopping
    > them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend in the
    > fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
    >
    > Ta

    personally i would ensure that all your famialy (and yourself) use a "user"
    level account, or "power user" at a stretch.

    installing software shouldnt be a problem - properly written software
    shouldnt be a problem.

    if either is a problem and you must use that software you can use "run as"
    and run thoes programs under a seperate "stooopid programs" account that
    has more privilages than you.

    whatever you do - DONT let them use admin accounts for every day stuff.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Jun 18, 2004
  7. BT

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "BT" <> wrote in message
    > Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to do

    > major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have backed

    up
    > any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the

    other
    > side.

    > And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &

    stopping
    > them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend in

    the
    > fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.

    Here are a few suggestions.

    ANTI-VIRUS TOOLS

    Norton Anti-Virus or some equivalent with auto-protect capability and an
    automated signature update service.

    SPYWARE TOOLS

    Many possibilities. I use Spybot 1.3, which is free, plus Ad Aware 6 and
    Scan Spyware. Redundancy is useful here since every program updates
    signatures at different intervals. You have a choice to use these in a
    preventative auto-detect mode or as simply a scanning device.

    REGISTRY SUPPORT TOOLS

    Use the built-in System Restore to identify known working setups. Don't
    just rely on the automatic restore points that will be created with
    every new software installation. Take the time (it's just a few seconds)
    to set and label your own restore points manually when everything is
    running the way you want and the system is stable.

    If you're reasonably comfortable sorting through registry keys,
    something like Registry First Aid can be helpful in cleaning out dead
    keys.

    DISK TOOLS

    The built-in "Disk Cleanup" applet is handy for removing temp files, old
    restore points, etc.

    The built-in defragger is all you really need with XP, and you can go
    light with that even.

    Partition Magic 8 makes any work you need to do with partitions a snap.

    BACKUP/RECOVERY TOOLS

    For backups, it's hard to recommend anything in particular, because it
    all depends on your work habits, your preferred level of risk aversion,
    and your media options (extra hard drive, CD, DVD, zip dfisk, tape,
    etc). The built-in Backup Utility is pretty weak. But if you're backing
    up to CD you may not need a separate backup program at all, because most
    of the software that comes with burners nowadays (Nero, for instance)
    has backup features included. There are even a number of freeware
    utilities out there that can get the job done if your requirements are
    simple enough.

    Between backups, you may at some point need to recover deleted files or
    files from a previosuly formatted volume. Easy Recovery Pro and other
    equivalent tools provide that additional layer of redundancy.

    For a complete peace-of-mind copy of your system drive, including boot
    partition (or any drives for that matter) you can use something like
    Drive Image or Norton Ghost.

    Patrick Bold, Jun 18, 2004
  8. BT

    frederick Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:37 +1200, BT wrote:
    >
    > > Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to

    do a
    > > major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have

    backed up
    > > any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the

    other
    > > side.
    > >
    > > Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with

    PC,
    > > booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is

    there more
    > > to it than that ?
    > >
    > > Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going

    ahead
    > > with this ?
    > >
    > > And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &

    stopping
    > > them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend

    in the
    > > fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
    > >
    > > Ta

    > personally i would ensure that all your famialy (and yourself) use a

    "user"
    > level account, or "power user" at a stretch.
    >
    > installing software shouldnt be a problem - properly written software
    > shouldnt be a problem.

    Yes it will.

    "Proper" progams that normally install in the "program files" directory
    will not be able to be be installed to a limited access account. They
    may be able to opt for another directory to install the program, but
    that is daft if you have a lot of users each installing programs, even
    the same one, to different locations. Many programs should only be
    installed as administrator. Some install packages will check it and
    spit back at you if you do not have administration privileges. And
    further to that, if the program has a proper installation program, a
    limited user won't be able to do anything with it unless it is on a cd
    or floppy, with the correct filename.

    I will allow for one thing that I accept from your comment. Delphi
    (which I like) allows you to write "stand alone" executables with no
    dependencies simply and by default. Those programs would meet your
    definition above of being "proper".

    frederick, Jun 18, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
    > floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
    > think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
    >
    > Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
    >
    > This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,00.asp

    Disks are not needed if you can boot from the CDROM, as most people
    should be able to. Even if you can't boot, Bart's Boot Disk doesn't
    require 5 floppies.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 18, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:37 +1200, BT wrote:
    > >
    > > > Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to

    > do a
    > > > major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have

    > backed up
    > > > any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be re-intalled on the

    > other
    > > > side.
    > > >
    > > > Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with

    > PC,
    > > > booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is

    > there more
    > > > to it than that ?
    > > >
    > > > Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going

    > ahead
    > > > with this ?
    > > >
    > > > And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &

    > stopping
    > > > them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend

    > in the
    > > > fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
    > > >
    > > > Ta

    > > personally i would ensure that all your famialy (and yourself) use a

    > "user"
    > > level account, or "power user" at a stretch.
    > >
    > > installing software shouldnt be a problem - properly written software
    > > shouldnt be a problem.
    > >

    > Yes it will.
    >
    > "Proper" progams that normally install in the "program files" directory
    > will not be able to be be installed to a limited access account. They
    > may be able to opt for another directory to install the program, but
    > that is daft if you have a lot of users each installing programs, even
    > the same one, to different locations. Many programs should only be
    > installed as administrator. Some install packages will check it and
    > spit back at you if you do not have administration privileges. And
    > further to that, if the program has a proper installation program, a
    > limited user won't be able to do anything with it unless it is on a cd
    > or floppy, with the correct filename.
    >
    > I will allow for one thing that I accept from your comment. Delphi
    > (which I like) allows you to write "stand alone" executables with no
    > dependencies simply and by default. Those programs would meet your
    > definition above of being "proper".

    It is not always desirable to write fully contained executables with all
    of your code bound up in one large file. This is why runtime packages
    (special kind of DLL) were introduced in Delphi 3.

    It is not correct to say Delphi executables have no dependencies; as most
    of them use the Windows API they are, in fact, dependent on the Windows
    DLLs which export the API functions. Most of the base controls in Delphi
    are Windows common controls.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 18, 2004
  11. BT

    BT Guest

    thanks for all the info.

    blair

    BT, Jun 18, 2004
  12. BT

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:44:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
    >> floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
    >> think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
    >>
    >> Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
    >>
    >> This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,00.asp

    >Disks are not needed if you can boot from the CDROM, as most people
    >should be able to. Even if you can't boot, Bart's Boot Disk doesn't
    >require 5 floppies.

    Woops, I forgot that I was special and my scsi cd drive didn't do the boot
    thing.

    Brett Cooper, Jun 18, 2004
  13. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:58:48 +1200, Brett Cooper <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:44:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
    >>> floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
    >>> think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
    >>>
    >>> Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
    >>>
    >>> This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,00.asp

    >>Disks are not needed if you can boot from the CDROM, as most people
    >>should be able to. Even if you can't boot, Bart's Boot Disk doesn't
    >>require 5 floppies.

    >Woops, I forgot that I was special and my scsi cd drive didn't do the boot
    >thing.

    Why not try a Repair first..

    The Bios or SCSI card should provide the boot thing.

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 18, 2004
  14. BT

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and have
    > > found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call. SP2 is

    good
    > > for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls and
    > > autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware etc.

    > Better late with these 'features" than never....

    Typical. You're getting something for nothing (if you don't mind the
    download bandwidth - or you could actually order the CD - assumes you've got
    a legit licence of course), but you still gotta bitch!

    > Still a shame you can't put a fresh XP install on the Internet without
    > being infected in seconds.

    Actually, anyone with half a brain can put a fresh install of XP on the
    internet without being infected. You've just got to know how (or seek
    advice). HINT: the advice was given in another thread just today.

    > But I have an XP Home CD here I'm thinking of installing (again)....and
    > your advice will come in handy. :)

    Yeah, and when you get it wrong, you will blame the person giving the advice
    because you elected to ignore the advice. But following advice is totally
    irrelevant to you because, if you did follow the advice and it proved to be
    right - you would have to find something else to bitch about.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jun 18, 2004
  15. BT

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:18:22 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

    > I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and have
    > found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call. SP2 is good
    > for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls and
    > autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware etc.

    This is just so microsoft!

    Installing a service pak just so you can avoid popups and automatically
    downloading and installing stuff/spyware???

    The first thing I do on anything which suggests auto-anything is that I
    disable those "automatic" features.

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    Divine, Jun 18, 2004
  16. BT

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:03:20 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    > Here are a few suggestions.
    >
    > ANTI-VIRUS TOOLS

    <snip>
    > SPYWARE TOOLS

    <snip>
    > REGISTRY SUPPORT TOOLS

    <snip>
    > DISK TOOLS

    <snip>
    > BACKUP/RECOVERY TOOLS

    <snip>

    Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
    that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.

    Divine

    --
    "Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
    that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

    Divine, Jun 18, 2004
  17. BT

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Divine" <> wrote in message

    > This is just so microsoft!
    >
    > Installing a service pak just so you can avoid popups and

    automatically
    > downloading and installing stuff/spyware???
    >
    > The first thing I do on anything which suggests auto-anything is that

    > disable those "automatic" features.

    It's just a bunch of switches, 1's and 0's. They can be set on or they
    can be set off -- but either way, you've automatically established a
    certain set of conditions. If the new SP2 features were set off by
    default, you'd be in here complaining that it's "so microsoft" to
    priortize speed over security and stability. In fact, you've said
    exactly that elsewhere.

    One alternative, of course, would be to eliminate default options
    altogether -- as you say, no "auto-anything" -- and require users to
    customize their own installation by explicitly defining hundreds,
    perhaps thousands, of command-line switches. Yeah, that'll really catch
    on.

    Patrick Bold, Jun 18, 2004
  18. BT

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Divine" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:03:20 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:
    >
    > > Here are a few suggestions.
    > >
    > > ANTI-VIRUS TOOLS

    > <snip>
    > > SPYWARE TOOLS

    > <snip>
    > > REGISTRY SUPPORT TOOLS

    > <snip>
    > > DISK TOOLS

    > <snip>
    > > BACKUP/RECOVERY TOOLS

    > <snip>
    >
    > Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
    > that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.

    Fragile? No, I haven't had a Windows system crash on me since Win2k
    first came out. Vulnerable to those who are either careless or
    malicious? Absolutely.

    Patrick Bold, Jun 18, 2004
  19. BT

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:47:59 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    > One alternative, of course, would be to eliminate default options
    > altogether -- as you say, no "auto-anything" -- and require users to
    > customize their own installation by explicitly defining hundreds,
    > perhaps thousands, of command-line switches. Yeah, that'll really catch
    > on.

    Actually, that's not such a bad idea - Windows users will certainly learn
    more about their computers than they would otherwise.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 18, 2004
  20. BT

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:07:10 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    >> Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
    >> that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.
    >>

    > Fragile? No, I haven't had a Windows system crash on me since Win2k
    > first came out. Vulnerable to those who are either careless or
    > malicious? Absolutely.

    Interesting.

    I have NEVER had an installation of either Unix or Linux crash on me for
    any reason other than massive hardware failure - and 4/5ths of my network
    is comprised of Unix and Linux installations.

    Divine

    --
    Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
    we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor

    Divine, Jun 18, 2004