    Can anyone post an idiots guide of how to re-configure WPA settings. All
    the ones I have seen on Windows support pages appear to be for new
    installations.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=
    <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi, I am successfully running a wireless LAN on WPA-TKIP. Saw
    > on GRC.COM that a strong pre shared key was required so am
    > trying to change mine to something stronger.
    > When in Properties for wireless network connection WPA is no
    > longer an option in any of the dropdowns, only WEP or nothing,
    > its like XP has forgotten that is running WPA.
    > Tried to download WPA patch from Windows but system errors
    > because its already installed.
    > Can anyone post an idiots guide of how to re-configure WPA
    > settings. All the ones I have seen on Windows support pages
    > appear to be for new installations.

    Have you selected WPA-PSK in the Network Authentication drop-down?
    Otherwise you'll only be offered WEP.
    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not offered in the
    network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and 'shared'.
    Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the network
    adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 23, 2006
  4. "Steve Campbell" wrote:
    > Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not offered in the
    > network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and 'shared'.
    > Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the network
    > adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

    Yes, try this. The Windows GUI won't show WPA if it believes that
    the adapter does not support it.

    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Problem is cant find the driver I need, have emailed Belkin asking for the
    WPA driver for f5d7000 card, if anyone knows where that driver is available
    please let me know, thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 23, 2006
  6. From Belkin perhaps... There are apparently a number of versions so make
    sure you use the correct one...

    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000&lang=1&mode=
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000_V2&lang=1&mode=
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000_V3&lang=1&mode=
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000_V4&lang=1&mode=
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000_V5&lang=1&mode=

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 23, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) is not a "magician", if the Drivers do not
    indicate the proper highest level of security support, or they are "Yo-yo"
    Drivers that deviate from Windows guide lines, WZC is at lost.

    Some manufactures of Entry Level Wireless are very Good in providing full
    support and easy implementation of the Wireless Drivers taking into
    consideration that many users want to use WZC, other are Not, you might find
    Drivers that are attached to the Brand's Wireless Utility and when trying to
    use WZC it does Not work because parts of the original Utility might be in
    memory or as an active service, and it clashes with WZC.

    Since some kind of a frame of reference is needed to decide on what is
    working and what Not. If there is trouble, I disable WZC and try to
    configure and use the Wireless with the original installation of the Brand
    software. If it does not work as it should then I would take it directly
    with the devices tech support.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 23, 2006
  8. In news:,
    Steve Campbell <> typed:
    > Problem is cant find the driver I need, have emailed Belkin asking
    > for the WPA driver for f5d7000 card, if anyone knows where that
    > driver is available please let me know, thanks.
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Campbell" wrote:
    >>> Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not
    >>> offered in the network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and
    >>> 'shared'.
    >>> Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the
    >>> network adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

    >> Yes, try this. The Windows GUI won't show WPA if it believes that
    >> the adapter does not support it.
    >>
    >> --PA

    In addition to Sooner Al's reply with the Belkin links, note that it's also
    possible that the Belkin came with wireless client software that will allow
    you to use WPA (even if Windows WZC doesn't). Have you checked to see? You'd
    need to tell Windows that it isn't to manage the wireless connection if so.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 24, 2006
  9. Or the other way around. I have to use WZC with my Belkin F5D7010 card...:)

    Belkin specifically states not to use their card manager with that card and
    XP...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 24, 2006
  10. Thanks to everyone for your posts:
    I dont belive the f5d7000 natively supports WPA, you have to configure the
    card to use Windows, see this article on WPA from Belkin:
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/F5D7000-WPA Addendum.pdf

    So my issue appears to be that neither on my Belkin Utility or in Windows is
    there the option to control the wireless card with Windows, which is weird as
    I have been doing so successfully for about 12 months; only when I wanted to
    change the PSK did the problem arise.

    So maybe I need to remove the Windows WPA patch and re-install it, does that
    sound reasonable? This might make Windows offer the option to control the
    wirless network device?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 24, 2006
  11. Now Im sure WZC (first time I heard of it) does not appear to be working, ran
    the command: sc query wzcsvc
    All that happens is a DOS window flashes on/off so fast I cant see a result.
    99% certain I need WZC to enable WPA on my card, so how do I enable it?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 24, 2006
  12. In news:,
    Steve Campbell <> typed:
    > Now Im sure WZC (first time I heard of it) does not appear to be
    > working, ran the command: sc query wzcsvc
    > All that happens is a DOS window flashes on/off so fast I cant see a
    > result. 99% certain I need WZC to enable WPA on my card, so how do I
    > enable it?

    Start | run
    type
    cmd <enter>

    Then type the command you wish.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 24, 2006
  13. Set WZC to 'Automatic' and uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin drivers
    again, hey presto, all working.

    Thanks to everyone in the community for your assistance.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Apr 25, 2006
  14. In news:,
    Steve Campbell <> typed:
    > Set WZC to 'Automatic' and uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin
    > drivers again, hey presto, all working.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone in the community for your assistance.

    Glad you got it working!

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 25, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=

    Quaoar Guest

    Steve Campbell wrote:
    > Hi, I am successfully running a wireless LAN on WPA-TKIP. Saw on GRC.COM
    > that a strong pre shared key was required so am trying to change mine to
    > something stronger.
    > When in Properties for wireless network connection WPA is no longer an
    > option in any of the dropdowns, only WEP or nothing, its like XP has
    > forgotten that is running WPA.
    > Tried to download WPA patch from Windows but system errors because its
    > already installed.
    > Can anyone post an idiots guide of how to re-configure WPA settings. All
    > the ones I have seen on Windows support pages appear to be for new
    > installations.

    IF I understand, you are doing this wrong: changes must be done in the
    router. You cannot change the key or key strength or protocol from your
    XP wireless setup.

    Quaoar, May 4, 2006