XP Home - empty CD Drive "remembers" directory and files from previous CD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DrawnOut, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. DrawnOut

    DrawnOut Guest

    Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:

    (Dell Dimension 4400 system)

    This happens unpredictably:

    I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    files from the CD.

    I remove the CD and insert another.

    I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.

    The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.

    Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?

    Thanks ...

    DrawnOut, Feb 25, 2006

  2. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:33:04 GMT, DrawnOut wrote:

    >Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >
    >(Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >
    >This happens unpredictably:
    >
    >I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >files from the CD.
    >
    >I remove the CD and insert another.
    >
    >I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    >"Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    >from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >
    >The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    >works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >
    >Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?

    My experience and also mentioned before IIRC in 24HSHD is a failing
    laser in the drive. Using another machine same age / drive was okay
    (until it went a few months later, oddly enough Dell Optiplex circa 1998
    models), using any other PC was okay and replacing the drive was okay.

    That's 1 cause anyway.

    >Thanks ...

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2006

  3. DrawnOut

    John Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:59:59 GMT, why?

    >On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:33:04 GMT, DrawnOut wrote:
    >
    >>Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >>
    >>(Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >>
    >>This happens unpredictably:
    >>
    >>I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >>files from the CD.
    >>
    >>I remove the CD and insert another.
    >>
    >>I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >>the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    >>"Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    >>from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >>
    >>The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    >>works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >>
    >>Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?

    >My experience and also mentioned before IIRC in 24HSHD is a failing
    >laser in the drive. Using another machine same age / drive was okay
    >(until it went a few months later, oddly enough Dell Optiplex circa 1998
    >models), using any other PC was okay and replacing the drive was okay.
    >
    >That's 1 cause anyway.
    >
    >>Thanks ...

    >Me

    I don't think it is anything to do with xp home
    I have had the same thing on xp pro sp2

    I recently formatted and reinstalled windows and have not
    had the problem since (fingers crossed)

    John

    John, Feb 25, 2006
  4. DrawnOut

    Smoker~ Guest

    "DrawnOut" <> wrote in message
    > Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >
    > (Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >
    > This happens unpredictably:
    >
    > I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    > files from the CD.
    >
    > I remove the CD and insert another.
    >
    > I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    > the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    > "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    > from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >
    > The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    > works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >
    > Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks ...

    ---
    I get the same thing once in awhile using XP Home SP2. I consider it another
    bug that M$ ignored.

    Smoker~, Feb 25, 2006
  5. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:55:25 +0000, John wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:59:59 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:33:04 GMT, DrawnOut wrote:
    >>
    >>>Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >>>
    >>>(Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >>>
    >>>This happens unpredictably:
    >>>
    >>>I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >>>files from the CD.
    >>>
    >>>I remove the CD and insert another.
    >>>
    >>>I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >>>the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.

    <snip>

    >>My experience and also mentioned before IIRC in 24HSHD is a failing
    >>laser in the drive. Using another machine same age / drive was okay
    >>(until it went a few months later, oddly enough Dell Optiplex circa 1998
    >>models), using any other PC was okay and replacing the drive was okay.
    >>
    >>That's 1 cause anyway.
    >>
    >>>Thanks ...

    >>Me

    >I don't think it is anything to do with xp home
    >I have had the same thing on xp pro sp2

    That's why I didn't mention an OS, in 3 cases on my PCs it was a HW
    fault. The hardware support engineers at work said it's common in Dell's
    for the models of PC/ CD drives. they don't bother checking any more,
    just replace the drives.

    >I recently formatted and reinstalled windows and have not
    >had the problem since (fingers crossed)

    Didn't have to do that myself.

    >John

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2006
  6. DrawnOut

    JoeA Guest

    Re: XP Home - empty CD Drive "remembers" directory and files fromprevious CD?

    Smoker~ wrote:
    > "DrawnOut" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >>
    >>(Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >>
    >>This happens unpredictably:
    >>
    >>I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >>files from the CD.
    >>
    >>I remove the CD and insert another.
    >>
    >>I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >>the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    >>"Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    >>from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >>
    >>The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    >>works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >>
    >>Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >>
    >>Thanks ...

    > ---
    > I get the same thing once in awhile using XP Home SP2. I consider it another
    > bug that M$ ignored.

    Someone told me that this happens if you turn the autoplay function off.
    If you did a re-install and its working then maybe you forgot to turn
    the annoying auto start off. When I put a CD in I want it to just sit
    there until I tell it what to do.

    JoeA, Feb 25, 2006
  7. DrawnOut

    DrawnOut Guest

    Thanks for your many suggestions. When I have the time, I guess I'll
    try to reformat and re-install XP, since it seems to be running
    painfully slow anyway. Don't want to go out and buy a new R/W drive
    if I can avoid it.

    DrawnOut, Feb 25, 2006
  8. DrawnOut

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:33:04 +0000, DrawnOut wrote:

    > Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >
    > (Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >
    > This happens unpredictably:
    >
    > I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    > files from the CD.
    >
    > I remove the CD and insert another.
    >
    > I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    > the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    > "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    > from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >
    > The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    > works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >
    > Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks ...

    Replace the drive.

    Meat Plow, Feb 25, 2006
  9. DrawnOut

    Trax Guest

    JoeA <> wrote:

    |>Smoker~ wrote:
    |>> "DrawnOut" <> wrote in message

    |>> ---
    |>> I get the same thing once in awhile using XP Home SP2. I consider it another
    |>> bug that M$ ignored.

    |>Someone told me that this happens if you turn the autoplay function off.
    |> If you did a re-install and its working then maybe you forgot to turn
    |>the annoying auto start off. When I put a CD in I want it to just sit
    |>there until I tell it what to do.

    It's a reg entry...

    Start | run | REGEDIT <enter> Goto
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

    Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    (If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)

    Will usually fix the problem described by OP.

    --
    http://cognitivelabs.com/games_findingbeltazar.htm

    Trax, Feb 25, 2006
  10. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:56:20 -0800, Trax wrote:

    > JoeA <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >|>Someone told me that this happens if you turn the autoplay function off.
    >|> If you did a re-install and its working then maybe you forgot to turn
    >|>the annoying auto start off. When I put a CD in I want it to just sit
    >|>there until I tell it what to do.
    >
    >It's a reg entry...
    >
    >Start | run | REGEDIT <enter> Goto
    >HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    >
    >Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    >(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)
    >
    >Will usually fix the problem described by OP.

    I would have hoped that Explorer - View | Refresh or F5 would force an
    update of the explorer display.

    Otherwise, having to set / cancel the automatic action for different
    content is too much of a pain.

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2006
  11. DrawnOut

    Trax Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    |>>It's a reg entry...
    |>>
    |>>Start | run | REGEDIT <enter> Goto
    |>>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    |>>
    |>>Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    |>>(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)
    |>>
    |>>Will usually fix the problem described by OP.

    |>I would have hoped that Explorer - View | Refresh or F5 would force an
    |>update of the explorer display.
    |>
    |>Otherwise, having to set / cancel the automatic action for different
    |>content is too much of a pain.

    I don't like Autoplay (don't trust it) it will install anything (can
    you say rootkit).

    Every Windows NT OS I've installed (NT-W2K) I would go into the
    registry and disable autoplay.

    XP is different, I changed the above reg key to 0, the CD would not
    update (F5, or reinserting the CD), unless you left the CD in the
    drive and rebooted.

    XP, I go into the properties of the CD and click on everything and
    select do nothing.

    Ya I know that registry entry personally :)

    --
    Like news? Check this out...
    http://www.jeroenwijering.com/whatsup/

    Trax, Feb 25, 2006
  12. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:16:39 -0800, Trax wrote:

    >|>I would have hoped that Explorer - View | Refresh or F5 would force an
    >|>update of the explorer display.
    >|>
    >|>Otherwise, having to set / cancel the automatic action for different
    >|>content is too much of a pain.
    >
    >I don't like Autoplay (don't trust it) it will install anything (can
    >you say rootkit).

    LOL.

    >Every Windows NT OS I've installed (NT-W2K) I would go into the
    >registry and disable autoplay.

    Same.

    >XP is different, I changed the above reg key to 0, the CD would not
    >update (F5, or reinserting the CD), unless you left the CD in the
    >drive and rebooted.

    Doesn't happen at home, reg entry is 0 , swapping DVDs still opens
    Action menu, depending if it was files / pictures / bootable Ubuntu .
    The explorer view jumped to control panel, click on DVD and explorer
    view changes. After that it all appears to work with no issues, but hey
    it's Windows.

    Never noticed a problem, mind you the most use of this is at work and a
    lot of settings are locked by a policy. Can you say idiotic policy
    management :) different for each domain.

    >XP, I go into the properties of the CD and click on everything and
    >select do nothing.
    >
    >Ya I know that registry entry personally :)

    Thanks

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2006
  13. DrawnOut wrote:

    > ... When I have the time, I guess I'll try to reformat and re-install
    > XP, since it seems to be running painfully slow anyway.

    Painfully slow is often a symptom of a PC infested with viruses,
    spyware, other kinds of malware.

    Do you run regular scans with anti-malware applications?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 25, 2006
  14. DrawnOut

    DrawnOut Guest

    Thank you for suggestion.

    Unfortunately, it was already set to "1." Being ultimately spooked by
    binary settings, which are often not "set" as they are displayed, I
    set it to "0," then back to "1."

    The gremlin still lives ...

    DrawnOut, Feb 25, 2006
  15. DrawnOut

    Trax Guest

    |>>XP is different, I changed the above reg key to 0, the CD would not
    |>>update (F5, or reinserting the CD), unless you left the CD in the
    |>>drive and rebooted.
    |
    |>Doesn't happen at home, reg entry is 0 , swapping DVDs still opens
    |>Action menu, depending if it was files / pictures / bootable Ubuntu .
    |>The explorer view jumped to control panel, click on DVD and explorer
    |>view changes. After that it all appears to work with no issues, but hey
    |>it's Windows.

    Well shoot, I changed it once and then my CD wouldn't update
    (refresh), using the #1 rule of troubleshooting (undo what you did
    last if you have problems) I changed it back to 1 and all was fine.

    I change it now to 0 and while it takes longer to refresh (and twice
    hung up explorer) it does now refresh, what can I can... SP2 fix'd it?

    Trax, Feb 26, 2006
  16. DrawnOut

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-25, DrawnOut <> wrote:
    > Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >
    > (Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >
    > This happens unpredictably:
    >
    > I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    > files from the CD.
    >
    > I remove the CD and insert another.
    >
    > I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    > the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    > "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    > from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >
    > The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    > works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >
    > Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks ...

    Coming from a Linux system, I'd have to say 'well, dah, you didn't unmount
    the old CD and then mount the new one, so of course the system still had
    the info from the old CD in memory'. That is to say, its a software thing
    not a hardware thing. (There is 'automount' for Linux, but I don't use
    it - I'm a bit of a control freak).

    I don't know if Windows allows removable media to be manually mounted and
    unmounted, or if it insists on 'making things easy', but I do vaguely
    remember something about a doodad on the task bar or system box thingy
    that allows you to pointy-clicky on a wotsit to 'safely remove removable
    media' or words to that effect. Which sounds to me remarkably like
    'unmount' in intent.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 26, 2006
  17. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:56:59 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >On 2006-02-25, DrawnOut <> wrote:
    >> Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >>
    >> (Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >>
    >> This happens unpredictably:
    >>
    >> I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >> files from the CD.
    >>
    >> I remove the CD and insert another.
    >>
    >> I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >> the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    >> "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    >> from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >>
    >> The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    >> works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >>
    >> Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks ...

    >Coming from a Linux system, I'd have to say 'well, dah, you didn't unmount
    >the old CD and then mount the new one, so of course the system still had
    >the info from the old CD in memory'. That is to say, its a software thing

    <snip>

    >I don't know if Windows allows removable media to be manually mounted and
    >unmounted, or if it insists on 'making things easy', but I do vaguely

    It's the make things easy, and multiple tool tray apps, some do
    (roughly) automount / autorun like CSS/Region Free / InCD / CloneCD
    after installing these I deselect the autorun option and select exit so
    they aren't running.

    >remember something about a doodad on the task bar or system box thingy
    >that allows you to pointy-clicky on a wotsit to 'safely remove removable
    >media' or words to that effect. Which sounds to me remarkably like
    >'unmount' in intent.

    That's for example used in USB devices, flash memory , printers etc.
    It's an automount , manual unmount.

    Me

    why?, Feb 26, 2006
  18. DrawnOut

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-26, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:56:59 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-02-25, DrawnOut <> wrote:
    >>> Appreciate some insight into this weird problem:
    >>>
    >>> (Dell Dimension 4400 system)
    >>>
    >>> This happens unpredictably:
    >>>
    >>> I put a CD in the drive. Am able to pull up a directory and copy
    >>> files from the CD.
    >>>
    >>> I remove the CD and insert another.
    >>>
    >>> I view the directory of the new CD drive using Windows Explorer, but
    >>> the directory that appears is the one from the previous CD.
    >>> "Refreshing" the drive still shows the previous CD. Opening the drive
    >>> from "My Computer" also shows the previous files.
    >>>
    >>> The only way to fix this is to restart the system, after which it
    >>> works properly for a time, then the same problem reappears.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know the cause of this strange behavior, and how to fix it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks ...

    >>Coming from a Linux system, I'd have to say 'well, dah, you didn't unmount
    >>the old CD and then mount the new one, so of course the system still had
    >>the info from the old CD in memory'. That is to say, its a software thing

    > <snip>
    >
    >>I don't know if Windows allows removable media to be manually mounted and
    >>unmounted, or if it insists on 'making things easy', but I do vaguely

    > It's the make things easy, and multiple tool tray apps, some do
    > (roughly) automount / autorun like CSS/Region Free / InCD / CloneCD
    > after installing these I deselect the autorun option and select exit so
    > they aren't running.
    >
    >>remember something about a doodad on the task bar or system box thingy
    >>that allows you to pointy-clicky on a wotsit to 'safely remove removable
    >>media' or words to that effect. Which sounds to me remarkably like
    >>'unmount' in intent.

    > That's for example used in USB devices, flash memory , printers etc.
    > It's an automount , manual unmount.
    >
    > Me

    I wonder if it would also 'unmount' a disc in an optical drive? There
    seems to be no logical difference between a CD-R or DVD-RW or whatever
    drive, and a USB key or PC-card memory device. I know that doesn't
    necessarily mean that Windows treats them equally ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 27, 2006
  19. DrawnOut

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:23:34 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >On 2006-02-26, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>>Coming from a Linux system, I'd have to say 'well, dah, you didn't unmount
    >>>the old CD and then mount the new one, so of course the system still had
    >>>the info from the old CD in memory'. That is to say, its a software thing

    <snip>

    >> It's the make things easy, and multiple tool tray apps, some do
    >> (roughly) automount / autorun like CSS/Region Free / InCD / CloneCD
    >> after installing these I deselect the autorun option and select exit so
    >> they aren't running.

    <snip>

    >> That's for example used in USB devices, flash memory , printers etc.
    >> It's an automount , manual unmount.
    >>
    >> Me

    >I wonder if it would also 'unmount' a disc in an optical drive? There
    >seems to be no logical difference between a CD-R or DVD-RW or whatever
    >drive, and a USB key or PC-card memory device. I know that doesn't
    >necessarily mean that Windows treats them equally ;))

    So you spotted the flaw then, - equally Windows treats.

    Me

    why?, Feb 27, 2006