    workstation? There are so many good bundled deals out there with XP Home
    preloaded (and no possibility of customizing). Too bad you can't easily find
    bundles with XP Pro in the stores.
    JW, Nov 6, 2005

  2. JW

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JW" <> wrote in
    news:jumbf.1262$:

    > While not ideal, is it possible to run XP Home on a network as a
    > workstation?

    You want to clarify this. And no, XP Home cannot join a NT Domain network
    like XP Pro can do. XP Home is for home usage by the home user consumer
    and XP pro is for business usage used by business consumers.

    > There are so many good bundled deals out there with XP
    > Home preloaded (and no possibility of customizing). Too bad you can't
    > easily find bundles with XP Pro in the stores.

    XP Home is for home use with the average Joe Blow home user and their
    usage. XP Pro is for business usage like in a corporate environment and
    XP Pro is most likely not going to be in some bundled deal.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005

  3. JW

    Fakename Guest

    I've never used XP Home but I know it has several limitations.

    No option to disable "simple file sharing"
    Can not join a windows domain
    No RDP server
    No file encryption

    There are probably others too. Having said that, it will support
    workgroup (p2p) networking, including file sharing. So on a very simple
    network you could probably get away with it.

    Fakename, Nov 6, 2005
  4. JW

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Fakename <> wrote in

    > I've never used XP Home but I know it has several limitations.
    >
    > No option to disable "simple file sharing"
    > Can not join a windows domain
    > No RDP server
    > No file encryption
    >
    > There are probably others too. Having said that, it will support
    > workgroup (p2p) networking, including file sharing. So on a very
    > simple network you could probably get away with it.

    In addition, Home has a 5 concurrent connection limitation that could be
    a problem in the P2P environment.

    It cannot run dual processor applications.

    It doesn't have IIS. So one couldn't do any .Net devlopment work with it.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005
  5. JW

    bmoag Guest

    Both XPs recognize and run dual processors.
    XP home will work very well in a small p2p network as a server in a home or
    business environment.
    If you need more stringent security controls for a home based p2p network
    you are seriously paranoid or have things to hide that should not be on a
    networked computer to begin with.
    bmoag, Nov 7, 2005
  6. JW

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > If you need more stringent security controls for a home based p2p network
    > you are seriously paranoid or have things to hide that should not be on a
    > networked computer to begin with.

    You want to explain this. And what does it have to do with anything. If one
    knows what he or she is doing to properly secure a machine in a network
    situation, it makes no difference.

    One should take certain steps to secure a NT based O/S on any network, which
    they don't even follow on the job I am contracting at where they build XP
    Pro workstations using FAT32.

    No one is seriously paranoid about anything, but no one should be dumb,
    stupid, or ignorant about securing a NT based O/S either.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm.

    The buck stops at the O/S and one should learn how to harden to the NT
    based O/S to attack especially for one that has a direct connection to the
    Internet.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2005