    What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
    Thank you,
    Seamus J. Wilson
    sligo, Apr 25, 2005

  2. sligo

    °Mike° Guest

    In <Rxdbe.2822$pk5.2549@fed1read02>,
    sligo took 8 lines to utter:

    >Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6 attempts before
    >it goes down.
    >Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
    >What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
    >Thank you,
    >Seamus J. Wilson

    It sounds like something that you have installed recently is running
    and not exiting cleanly at shutdown. Uninstall (systematically) all
    of the last few applications that you installed, and shut down after
    each uninstall, until you have the culprit.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 25, 2005

  3. sligo

    Aquanaut Guest

    "sligo" <> wrote in message
    > Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6 attempts
    > before
    > it goes down.
    > Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
    > What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    To make it go down the first time,buy it more beer!!
    Seriously take advantage of system restore,assuming it is a "recent
    problem,find something that works.Or are there a load of progs running in
    the background (as in my daughters)--generally due to msn messenger and or
    associated files that the little darlings exchange amongst themselves etc.
    Aquanaut, Apr 25, 2005
  4. sligo

    Sultan Guest

    "sligo" <> wrote in news:Rxdbe.2822$pk5.2549@fed1read02:

    > Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6

    attempts
    > before it goes down.
    > Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
    > What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?,
    > please. Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    Look in Task Manager and first make sure all applications are closed.
    Next take note of what processes are running- see any apps
    executables in there you recognize? Most likely the culprit. Weird
    thing is Windows sometimes gives an error message when it has trouble
    with rogue apps doing this.

    --

    Sultan
    Sultan, Apr 26, 2005
  5. sligo

    Shiv Guest

    Check whether if you have any P2P programs are running????
    Shiv, Apr 26, 2005
  6. sligo

    sligo Guest

    Thank all for the time and helpful answers.
    Best,
    Seamus J.

    sligo, Apr 26, 2005