    Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?

    Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 24, 2008

  2. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ....i.e.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813937/
    ....do I need to buy a hub or a switch, or will my WAG354G do it ?

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 24, 2008

  3. RJK

    HeyBub Guest

    RJK wrote:
    > I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network,
    > and would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using
    > ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >
    > They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security
    > patches etc.
    > ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    > Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >
    > Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >
    > Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >
    > regards, Richard

    You've got all the hardware you need.

    Do you have access to a 12-year old male?

    HeyBub, Nov 24, 2008
  4. RJK wrote:
    > I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and would
    > like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using ethernet
    > leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >
    > They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security patches
    > etc.
    > ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a Linksys
    > WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >
    > Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >
    > Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >
    > regards, Richard

    It sounds like you've everything you need.

    On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
    configured properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall is
    disabled on the internal LAN connection.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:

    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 24, 2008
  5. RJK

    RJK Guest

    "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message
    > RJK wrote:
    >> I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and
    >> would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using
    >> ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >>
    >> They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security patches
    >> etc.
    >> ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    >> Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >>
    >> Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >>
    >> Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

    > It sounds like you've everything you need.
    >
    > On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    > password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    > shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    > able to access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    > properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on
    > the internal LAN connection.
    >
    > Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    > almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    > easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    > Home Networking
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp
    >
    > Networking Information
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
    >
    > PracticallyNetworked Home
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm
    >
    > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:

    > Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
    > Russell

    > killed a great many philosophers.
    > ~ Denis Diderot

    Many thanks for your response, and links. I can see that I am going to have
    do more reading before "having a go." I keep looking at various "simple
    diagrams" on networking two PC's, and how to connect things up, and how they
    will interface, in relation to how things are set up at the moment,
    ....and then wonder if it would be easier to disconnect the WAG354G, and
    connect the two PC's with a cross-over cable, and try networking them like
    that first / for practice, | and then add a pci LAN card to my main PC, (so
    that it has a second ethernet port), so that I can connect WAG354G, to get
    internet access.
    ....and then I wonder if it would be simpler to buy a hub, attempt to network
    the two PC's, and then connect the WAG354G to the hub, to add in internet
    access -...which would leave three empty rj45 ports on the back of the
    WAG354G, ...which leads me back to thinking that perhaps the WAG354G could
    be doing it all i.e. is a router a hub ? ...i.e. can it act as a hub ?
    (I've gathered that a "switch" is better than a hub btw).
    e.g. do I need to add 2nd ethernet port to my main PC, and have two rj45
    leads going from the WAG354G to the main PC, and one rj45 lead going to the
    2nd PC,
    ....does there have to be two LAN connections set up in XP - one for the two
    PC's and one for the internet ? ...is this connected with an "internal" and
    an "external network," ???

    ....anyhow, I'm off to read your links !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 24, 2008
  6. RJK

    Twayne Guest

    > I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network,
    > and would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router?
    > ...using ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >
    > They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security
    > patches etc.
    > ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    > Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >
    > Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >
    > Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >
    > regards, Richard

    You should be all set with what you have. In fact, if it's only 2
    computers, it can even be done without a router/switch/whatever. All it
    takes is a sort of crossover cable (the ethernet cable - 8 pin config).

    In an unusual departure from the norm, Microsoft, for XP's Help &
    Support has an excellent write-up on setting up a home LAN. Just look
    for LAN, IIRC, or maybe home lan. It explains all the different
    formats, how to set them up, etc.. Definitely worth a read.

    Regards,

    TWayne

    Twayne, Nov 24, 2008
  7. RJK

    HASAN Guest

    you dont need to make any changes in your hardware, I use my adsl router to
    connect all my pc's/laptop together. simply connect all the systems to the
    router, turn the router's DHCP server on (its usually on by default), on
    your two pcs check that both have a same WORKGROUP name, also check that the
    ip address is set to "obtain ip automatically" on both pcs,then right click
    some folder on both pcs and choose sharing...,go to "sharing wizard" and
    answered the questions, it would setup the necessary access permissions and
    also tune the firewall to let your sharing communications pass the
    firewall.thats it, you now have a home network!

    HASAN, Nov 25, 2008
  8. RJK

    James Egan Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:24:15 -0000, "RJK" <>
    wrote:

    >I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and would
    >like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using ethernet
    >leads i.e. not wireless :)

    Why would you want to wire them together when they are already
    networked together wirelessly?

    Currently all you have to do is to enable file sharing and configure
    the firewalls. Forget the wires unless you have some special reason
    for doing it?

    Jim.

    James Egan, Nov 25, 2008
  9. Hi
    Two parts in the answer.
    One: Sharing Internet connection.
    In most cases there is a Modem that feeds a Cable/DSL Wireless Router, and
    the whole thing looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    A Router is a combo unit that includes Routing circuit to share Internet,
    and a Switch, and a Wireless Access Point.
    What the Routing circuit does? Read here, http://www.ezlan.net/routers.html
    If more than 4 wire ports are needed additional stand alone switches can be
    chained to get more ports.
    In your case the Modem + Routing Circuit + 4 ports switch + Wireless Access
    Point, are combined into one plastic box with one brick power supply called
    WAG354G.
    I.e. you have currently everything that is needed to use a single DSL
    connection with 4 wired computers and many Wireless computers.
    Read the WAG354G manual Connect everything together and make sure that each
    computer can use the Internet.
    Once every computer can connect to the Internet it is time to take care of
    local file and printer sharing.
    Two: Files and printer Sharing.
    It does not matter whether the computer connects to the Wireless Router via
    wire or Wireless, the sharing is the same.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2008
  10. RJK

    RJK Guest

    > Hi
    > Two parts in the answer.
    > One: Sharing Internet connection.
    > In most cases there is a Modem that feeds a Cable/DSL Wireless Router, and
    > the whole thing looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > A Router is a combo unit that includes Routing circuit to share Internet,
    > and a Switch, and a Wireless Access Point.
    > What the Routing circuit does? Read here,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/routers.html
    > If more than 4 wire ports are needed additional stand alone switches can
    > be chained to get more ports.
    > In your case the Modem + Routing Circuit + 4 ports switch + Wireless
    > Access Point, are combined into one plastic box with one brick power
    > supply called WAG354G.
    > I.e. you have currently everything that is needed to use a single DSL
    > connection with 4 wired computers and many Wireless computers.
    > Read the WAG354G manual Connect everything together and make sure that
    > each computer can use the Internet.
    > Once every computer can connect to the Internet it is time to take care of
    > local file and printer sharing.
    > Two: Files and printer Sharing.
    > It does not matter whether the computer connects to the Wireless Router
    > via wire or Wireless, the sharing is the same.
    > settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
    > Windows XP File Sharing -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "RJK" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and
    >> would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using
    >> ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >>
    >> They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security patches
    >> etc.
    >> ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    >> Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >>
    >> Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >>
    >> Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

    HUuuuuuuge thanks,

    Now that I know that I'm not fighting with hardware which lacks necessary
    features/functionality I can wade into configuration :)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 25, 2008
  11. RJK

    RJK Guest

    "HASAN" <hasan***@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > you dont need to make any changes in your hardware, I use my adsl router
    > to connect all my pc's/laptop together. simply connect all the systems to
    > the router, turn the router's DHCP server on (its usually on by default),
    > on your two pcs check that both have a same WORKGROUP name, also check
    > that the ip address is set to "obtain ip automatically" on both pcs,then
    > right click some folder on both pcs and choose sharing...,go to "sharing
    > wizard" and answered the questions, it would setup the necessary access
    > permissions and also tune the firewall to let your sharing communications
    > pass the firewall.thats it, you now have a home network!
    > "RJK" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message

    Many thanks,

    RJK, Nov 25, 2008
  12. RJK

    RJK Guest

    "Twayne" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network,
    >> and would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using
    >> ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >>
    >> They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security
    >> patches etc.
    >> ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    >> Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >>
    >> Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >>
    >> Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

    > You should be all set with what you have. In fact, if it's only 2
    > computers, it can even be done without a router/switch/whatever. All it
    > takes is a sort of crossover cable (the ethernet cable - 8 pin config).
    >
    > In an unusual departure from the norm, Microsoft, for XP's Help & Support
    > has an excellent write-up on setting up a home LAN. Just look for LAN,
    > IIRC, or maybe home lan. It explains all the different formats, how to
    > set them up, etc.. Definitely worth a read.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > TWayne

    Many thanks,

    RJK, Nov 25, 2008
  13. RJK

    RJK Guest

    "James Egan" <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:24:15 -0000, "RJK" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and
    >>would
    >>like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using ethernet
    >>leads i.e. not wireless :)

    > Why would you want to wire them together when they are already
    > networked together wirelessly?
    >
    > Currently all you have to do is to enable file sharing and configure
    > the firewalls. Forget the wires unless you have some special reason
    > for doing it?
    >

    > Jim.

    Many thanks,

    RJK, Nov 25, 2008
  14. RJK

    RJK Guest

    "Curt Christianson" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again Richard,
    >
    > I agree with what the others have said. You have all you need right
    > there. There are some really good links provided to you. I have a similar
    > setup in my location, only the "powers that be" will not allow cable to be
    > routed, as the computers are on two different floors. I am going to do
    > just as you--only wireless.
    >
    > Good luck! This sounds like a good learning experience for both of us.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > Curt
    >
    > http://dundats.mvps.org/
    > http://www.aumha.org/
    > http://dundats.mvps.org/AutoIt/default.aspx
    >

    > "RJK" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been reading some primers on setting up a small home network, and
    >> would like to try networking 2 PC's together, via a router? ...using
    >> ethernet leads i.e. not wireless :)
    >>
    >> They both have XP Home ed. SP3 ...all up to date with MS security patches
    >> etc.
    >> ...and at the moment, they both get their internet connection from a
    >> Linksys WAG354G (which is an adsl modem/4 port router),
    >>
    >> Can this Linksys do the job, or do I need to buy something different ?
    >>
    >> Completely confused about hubs, routers etc,
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

    Hello Curt,

    I finally managed, (after a very long time), to ask my question about
    hardware, specifically its' networking capabilities, ((in an, (unusually for
    me!), succinct fashion)), and got the answer I'd been hoping for !
    ....many thanks again to all who finally "drummed" that answer into me !

    Now, prior to engaging in a fight with MS's, allegedly, "automatic" and very
    helpful Network configuration Wizard, I thought I'd first uninstall, and
    reinstall AVG 8.0 Internet Security on both of my PC's so that all the AVG
    Standard Firewall "Profiles" e.g. "Small Home or Office Network", are all
    available, ((i.e. I deleted the "Small Home or Office Network" profile on
    both PC's a while ago, ( I have a 5 PC multi license pack with AVG)). The
    intention there was to pre-empt or reduce problems with firewalls' when I
    eventually make my attempt at networking the two PC's.

    As when installing AVG 8.0 full Internet Security suite on previous
    occasions, I've ended up in almost complete confusion over AVG's "Areas and
    adapter profiles"/"Adapters and Areas,"
    "Adapters connected to Safe Networks," ...(is currently set to "Unassigned)"
    "RealTek RTL8139" ......LAN chip on motherboard.
    "All Network Areas / "Orange ?" ...I labelled the "network area" "Orange ?"
    ....possibly that which was detected and demanded a name during
    reinstallation of AVG 8.0 ...so I had yet another cigarette and gazed at the
    screen in wonderment for even more ages, ...wondering if the installation
    routine was asking me about a level of internet access security for
    "Orange," (my ISP is Orange), or was it asking about the LAN chip connection
    to my adsl modem/router ...and now,
    ....after having gazed and re-read the AVG Help pages, for ages, it's half
    past midnight plus ! ....so I'm going to switch it off and go to bed.
    ....haven't even reinstalled AVG 8.0 on 2nd PC,
    ....and haven't got anywhere near running MS Network configuration wizard !!!

    ....regarding your rj45/Cat 5 cable vs. wireless, my WAG354 is currently
    sending internet to my fathers' PC in the house, THAT was an experience and
    a half - matching WPA security keys / channel / setting MAC codes in router
    etc. DHCP / IP / gateway addresses etc. ...fighting with it for goodness
    know how many hours and eventually discovering that the Linksys WMP54G pci
    wireless card application software was causing problems ! i.e. one had
    probably been tweaking things that didn't need tweaking, (causing LOTS of
    time consuming frustration), then after upgrading the application software
    for it, from Linksys, most of the problems vanished, ...after changing
    software settings back to those, that hadn't needed changing in the first
    place !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008
  15. RJK

    RJK Guest

    This is like trying to find a needle in a haystack !
    ....All I've managed so far is to get my main PC warning me that if I
    proceed - everyone on the internet will be able to see my files and use my
    printers !
    ....and the 2nd PC which tells me that I do not have the necessary
    administrative permissions to do very much with a Network at all !
    ( Both PC's boot straight into Adminstator mode i.e. I've never set up user
    accounts, as such on them ! )

    I've tried setting up a workgroup - the type of hardware configuration that
    one had to select is difficult - though I think I've selected the correct
    one. Then, the 2nd PC can't display or see the WorkGroup - and when I first
    ran the Network setup wizard on the 2nd PC, it needed to reboot, and whilst
    rebooting it decided to do a dos level chkdsk, making me suspect that the
    Network Connection wizard did all sorts of damage on the 2nd PC before
    rebooting, as chkdsk / 10 to 20 filenames whizzed up the screen including
    some *.dll's !

    Oh, for a "hold-my-hand" tutorial that explains what needs to be set up and
    how - in Windows !

    Many years ago I networked a few PC's in Bristol, (no Windows - all DOS
    based apps.), and one had to assign.exe, or was it subst.exe, (can't
    remember now), hd C:\ for H:\ so that nodes with SuperCalc v3.0-v5.5? on
    them , could load up spreadsheets stored on the main PC. Looking back,
    .....GOODNESS only knows how I got all that working !!! ...and here I am,
    can't make head nor tails of this facility in Windows !

    Anyhow, on 2nd PC :-
    "View Network Connections" contains only one LAN icon - to router - where
    it gets its' internet connection from I suppose !
    "View WorkGroup computers" is empty, then a timer bottle - then ""Rjk"
    (workgroup name i gave it), is not accessible, You migh not have
    permission....etc."
    I gathered that the WG name has to be the same on both PC's - will have to
    urn the network setup wizard on 2nd Pc again I think.

    ....oh, what joy !!

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008
  16. RJK

    RJK Guest

    I may have made some progress :-

    "My Network places" on "server" PC is showing:-

    data on LianLi(D935) \\d935\data
    SharedDocs on LianLi(d935) \\D935\SharedDocs

    ....but, 2nd PC can't see them !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008
  17. RJK

    RJK Guest

    The ideal tutorial that can never be found, is one that leads one by the
    hand, and even details which Window services need to be running, so that one
    knows that at least the XP environment is correct ! ...and one that
    includes a few example pics. so that one can confirm that one is heading
    along the correct track, ...and also includes a few REALLY simple tasks,
    e.g. loading a Wrod *.doc on a node, using Word program that's running
    on a node !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008
  18. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ....have switched on Upnp in WAG354G hoping that may help,
    2nd PC "My Network Places" is bombing out with "Program not responding"
    after clicking the "Back" button on upper toobar !!
    ....pretty sure I'm heading for a repair install on 2nd Pc !!

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008
  19. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Well, I just have to say "unfamiliarity CERTAINLY breeds contempt," and
    this XP Network Setup Wizard, namely stabbing around in the dark - or if you
    prefer doing some trial and error 'ing, is MIND BOGGLINGLY SLOW !!!

    What is the point of having a 2 x dual core PC's, when almost everything one
    tries in this HIDEOUS "Network setup Wizard" causes either machine to 'go
    away' for sometimes up to a MINUTE at a time !!!!!! ? How on earth can one
    get on and LEARN anything with coding like this ? ...ONE CAN'T !!

    ....and just what is causing this "You may not have the necessary
    permissions...." error message that can take up to a WHOLE minute to
    appear, is baffling !
    ....then there are the "program is not responding 's..." and when choosing
    "End Program" the whole desktop disappears and has to reload - RIDICULOUS
    !!!

    ....though just before it collapsed the last time, I did glimpse 2 PC's
    listed in "My Network Places."

    BTW my 2 PC's are normally VERY well behaved - I can only guess that this
    "Netwrk Wizard thing is a heap of rubbish !!!!!

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 26, 2008