    character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    already is!!!!

    mike s, Jul 8, 2006

  2. mike s

    Guest

    MS only allows one copy per computer. You must buy a license for each
    computer.
    Call MS, and they will tell you how to go about purchasing a second
    license.

    Jerry G.
    ======

    mike s wrote:
    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    > When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another 25
    > character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    > home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    > already is!!!!

    , Jul 8, 2006

  3. mike s

    Toolman Tim Guest

    mike s wrote:
    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my
    > home. When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and
    > wants another 25 character code. Is there any way to load this
    > program in another pc in my home without buying another copy of xp
    > and making bill gates richer than he already is!!!!

    Nope. You only paid for one copy, for one computer. Go buy another copy.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 8, 2006
  4. mike s

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "mike s" <> said in

    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my
    > home. When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants
    > another 25 character code. Is there any way to load this program in
    > another pc in my home without buying another copy of xp and making
    > bill gates richer than he already is!!!!

    No.

    Jerry Attic, Jul 8, 2006
  5. mike s wrote:

    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    > When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another
    > 25 character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in
    > my home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer
    > than he already is!!!!

    If it is a OEM version, or a bios locked version, it won't let you activate
    on another computer with different specification/chipset/innards.
    Only retail versions allow that, you might have to activate by phone and
    explain a reason ("because the old computer went tits up" will do) - but
    then, the license becomes invalid on your 1st 'puter.
    You can try a alternative OS (linux) on the 2nd box, which will also stop
    homephoning to Bill.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 8, 2006
  6. mike s

    Dustin Guest

    "mike s" <> wrote in

    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my
    > home. When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants
    > another 25 character code. Is there any way to load this program in
    > another pc in my home without buying another copy of xp and making
    > bill gates richer than he already is!!!!

    Several ways, but you should find those yourself. Nobody here is going to
    help you pirate windows.

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool

    Dustin, Jul 9, 2006
  7. mike s

    Plato Guest

    mike s wrote:

    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    > When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another 25
    > character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    > home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    > already is!!!!

    Wait 4 months and try again.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 9, 2006
  8. mike s

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my
    > > home. When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and
    > > wants another 25 character code. Is there any way to load this
    > > program in another pc in my home without buying another copy of xp
    > > and making bill gates richer than he already is!!!!

    > Nope. You only paid for one copy, for one computer. Go buy another copy.

    Really you cant blame the OS Author, as many people have multiple pcs at
    home now. When it comes down to brass tacks, you only need ONE pc in a
    home anyway. If you want luxery, then I see no problem in paying for it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 9, 2006
  9. On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:35:17 GMT, "mike s" <> wrote:

    >i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    >When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another 25
    >character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    >home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    >already is!!!!

    It isn't linux, you can't put Windows on more than one machine unless you buy
    another licence.
    Linux users don't have to worry about that kind of thing. :)

    William Poaster, Jul 9, 2006
  10. mike s

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 02:35:17 +0100, mike s wrote
    (in article <pZDrg.14343$>):

    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    > When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another 25
    > character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    > home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    > already is!!!!

    If you can afford two PCs you can afford two copies of Windows. If you cannot
    afford 2 copies of Windows, then either install Linux or BSD on the other
    system or sell it.

    Margolotta, Jul 9, 2006
  11. On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:48:19 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:51:41 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:35:17 GMT, "mike s" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    >>>When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another 25
    >>>character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    >>>home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than he
    >>>already is!!!!

    >>It isn't linux, you can't put Windows on more than one machine unless you buy
    >>another licence.
    >>Linux users don't have to worry about that kind of thing. :)

    >Hey there. Long time no see. :)

    Hello, Mara! :)
    Yes, it's been a while. I thought I'd sub again just see what's happening. If
    anything, I'd say 24 has gone even *further* down the sewer than when I left.

    William Poaster, Jul 9, 2006
  12. On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:03:39 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:56:00 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:48:19 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>>Hey there. Long time no see. :)

    >>Hello, Mara! :)
    >>Yes, it's been a while. I thought I'd sub again just see what's happening. If
    >>anything, I'd say 24 has gone even *further* down the sewer than when I left.

    >You can sure tell who have jobs and who don't, can't you? <g>
    >
    >I take it you're running SuSE 10.1? How's it working out for you?

    I'm running SuSE 10.0 on two machines, & 10.1 on this. There were a couple of
    glitches to begin with [which the coders have since been fixed] and which is why
    I didn't upgrade the other OSs from 10.0 to 10.1 So far it's running stable and
    well. :)
    Do you still have SuSE on any of your boxes?

    --
    MCSE - My Computer's Software Exploded

    William Poaster, Jul 9, 2006
  13. On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:53:19 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:24:25 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>>You can sure tell who have jobs and who don't, can't you? <g>
    >>>
    >>>I take it you're running SuSE 10.1? How's it working out for you?

    >>I'm running SuSE 10.0 on two machines, & 10.1 on this. There were a couple of
    >>glitches to begin with [which the coders have since been fixed] and which is why
    >>I didn't upgrade the other OSs from 10.0 to 10.1 So far it's running stable and
    >>well. :)
    >>Do you still have SuSE on any of your boxes?

    >It's on my dual-boot. If M$ goes ahead and does their thing with the WGA
    >bullshit, I'll probably try to convert them all to SuSE.

    From what I've seen in other groups, & forums, it appears you're not the only
    one. Quite a few people are uneasy with the M$ WGA thing, see the letters to
    The Register:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/12/letters_wga_row/

    In a few groups & web forums, some have started asking about linux, some have
    stated they'll buy Macs. In spite of the lawsuits I don't see WGA going away,
    after all *this* is for the benefit of M$ & *not* the customer. M$ have issued
    removal instructions, but "uninstalling the newest version using these
    instructions is not tested, supported or recommended", in other words "Don't
    fsck with it, or you're on your own".
    I also understand that if it *was* successfully removed, it would only stop
    WGA Notifications....it would *not* stop Windows calling home.
    And don't forget that the EULA licence only gives the right for Windows users to
    use the software, it is NOT yours.

    > I hope you stick around; I'll probably need your help for this box and the laptop.

    Yes, I'll help. You can legally put your copy of SuSE on as many machines
    as you like! :)

    >Good to see you again. :)

    And you! :)
    Any of the others still hanging out here, trout, the gangles, the...<looks
    nervously round & whispers>.....Umbaldinos?

    William Poaster, Jul 10, 2006
  14. On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 18:32:59 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:07:25 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:53:19 -0500, Mara <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>>It's on my dual-boot. If M$ goes ahead and does their thing with the WGA
    >>>bullshit, I'll probably try to convert them all to SuSE.

    >>From what I've seen in other groups, & forums, it appears you're not the only
    >>one. Quite a few people are uneasy with the M$ WGA thing, see the letters to
    >>The Register:
    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/12/letters_wga_row/

    >Yes. You've heard about the lawsuit?
    >
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/409

    Yes, I first saw it in Groklaw:

    Personally, I think M$ have shot themselves in the foot. They haven't learnt
    anything from Sony's DRM fiasco.

    >>In a few groups & web forums, some have started asking about linux, some have
    >>stated they'll buy Macs. In spite of the lawsuits I don't see WGA going away,
    >>after all *this* is for the benefit of M$ & *not* the customer. M$ have issued
    >>removal instructions, but "uninstalling the newest version using these
    >>instructions is not tested, supported or recommended", in other words "Don't
    >>fsck with it, or you're on your own".

    >Scare tactics are common with M$, I've noticed.
    >
    >>I also understand that if it *was* successfully removed, it would only stop
    >>WGA Notifications....it would *not* stop Windows calling home.
    >>And don't forget that the EULA licence only gives the right for Windows users to
    >>use the software, it is NOT yours.
    >>
    >>> I hope you stick around; I'll probably need your help for this box and the laptop.

    >>Yes, I'll help. You can legally put your copy of SuSE on as many machines
    >>as you like! :)

    >Yes. Open source *rocks.* :)

    :-}

    >>>Good to see you again. :)

    >>And you! :)
    >>Any of the others still hanging out here, trout, the gangles, the...<looks
    >>nervously round & whispers>.....Umbaldinos?

    >I still see the glurd once in awhile, and OS. Not many of the "others" left,
    >anymore. And I can't blame them.

    No, I had to set a lot of filters to cut the sig:noise ratio.

    >"I'd better NOT see Uno anytime soon. He and Umbaldo was drinking tequila and
    >eating dill pickles at the last party, and he spilled pickle juice all over the
    >couch."

    I suppose you keep that baseball bat handy....just-in-case?

    William Poaster, Jul 10, 2006
  15. Howdy!

    "mike s" <> wrote in message
    > i am trying to put a registered copy of xp home on another pc in my home.
    > When i load the o/s in it it won't let me activate it, and wants another

    25
    > character code. Is there any way to load this program in another pc in my
    > home without buying another copy of xp and making bill gates richer than

    he
    > already is!!!!

    Legally? No.

    BUT - if you don't want to pay for it, consider using an
    alternative, such as maybe one of the Linux or FreeBSD distros (Ubuntu comes
    to mind)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 10, 2006
  16. mike s

    Sue+David Guest

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message

    > If you can afford two PCs you can afford two copies of Windows. If you
    > cannot
    > afford 2 copies of Windows, then either install Linux or BSD on the other
    > system or sell it.

    Foolish Sarah, do tell, and what have you ever paid for?

    Sue+David, Jul 10, 2006
  17. mike s

    Spuds Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:49:35 +0100, "Sue+David" <>
    wrote:

    >"Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> If you can afford two PCs you can afford two copies of Windows. If you
    >> cannot
    >> afford 2 copies of Windows, then either install Linux or BSD on the other
    >> system or sell it.
    >>

    >Foolish Sarah, do tell, and what have you ever paid for?

    Sex?
    --
    Half of the people in the world are below average.

    Spuds, Jul 10, 2006
  18. mike s

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Spuds wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:49:35 +0100, "Sue+David"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Margolotta" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>>
    >>> If you can afford two PCs you can afford two copies of Windows. If
    >>> you cannot
    >>> afford 2 copies of Windows, then either install Linux or BSD on the
    >>> other system or sell it.
    >>>

    >> Foolish Sarah, do tell, and what have you ever paid for?

    > Sex?

    Probably they only way she could get any...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2006
  19. mike s

    Spuds Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:22:52 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Spuds wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:49:35 +0100, "Sue+David"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Margolotta" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...

    >>> Foolish Sarah, do tell, and what have you ever paid for?

    >> Sex?

    >Probably they only way she could get any...

    Except for that one blind guy with no sense of smell...
    --
    Half of the people in the world are below average.

    Spuds, Jul 10, 2006