    first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
    into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.

    How can I get around this?
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 25, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
    > proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
    >
    > Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
    > install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
    > called for during ht einstall.
    >
    > I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
    > drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
    > activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
    > the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
    > without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
    >
    > I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
    > activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
    > first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
    > into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
    >
    > How can I get around this?

    If no other answer comes in, you can slipstream drivers into
    your install CD, using NLite from nliteos.com . Drivers must
    be in a certain format (txtsetup.oem / INF ?) to be integrated.
    The end result is an ISO9660 file you burn with a program like
    Nero, to make a new installer CD.

    (second screenshot down is the driver section...)
    http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nlite

    I think they have forums as well. You may find examples of
    driver integration here.

    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 25, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
    > proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
    >
    > Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
    > install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
    > called for during ht einstall.
    >
    > I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
    > drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
    > activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
    > the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
    > without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
    >
    > I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
    > activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
    > first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
    > into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
    >
    > How can I get around this?

    Hi jeff

    Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.

    However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
    sleep.

    I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
    plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
    windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
    you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
    does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.

    If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed
    version of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing
    safe mode, if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy
    of windows on the machine and if you really don't want to do that you
    can deactivate the windows activation, I'll let you google that one
    yourself.

    JD
    JD, Jul 25, 2009
  4. "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
    >> proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
    >>
    >> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
    >> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
    >> called for during ht einstall.
    >>
    >> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
    >> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
    >> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load
    >> is the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP,
    >> but without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
    >>
    >> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
    >> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
    >> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
    >> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
    >>
    >> How can I get around this?
    >>

    > Hi jeff
    >
    > Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.
    >
    > However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
    > sleep.
    >
    > I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
    > plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
    > windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
    > you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
    > does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.
    >
    > If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed version
    > of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing safe mode,
    > if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy of windows on
    > the machine and if you really don't want to do that you can deactivate the
    > windows activation, I'll let you google that one yourself.

    I started out with 30 days, but I swapped in a MB that did not physically
    fit in order to test my theory that the original MB was toast. The 30 days
    came up as 3 days, then became an immediate requirement. It took two or
    three days for 30 to turn into 3, then another hour or two to become an
    immediate requirement. 30 days to immediate requirement took a couple of
    days on the calendar, but a matter of hours of troubleshooting time.

    Now, I can't do anything until I Activate, but the machine hangs before the
    dialog box opens to guide me through the Activation.

    I just got off the phone with one of Bill's Boys, and we discovered that my
    XP Home is an OEM copy, and the motherboard is a significant hardware change
    that might be throwing the Activation off. Bill's Boys gave me a new Product
    Key that, with any luck, will resolve my issues.

    I think my option is to to a fresh install and reformat C:\. I'm resisting
    that, but it's looking like that's what I gotta do.

    This project is taking far more time than it should ...

    Murphy said, "any job no matter how small will rapidly expand to overfill
    the alloted time to perform it." Aint that the truth!
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    >> Hi jeff
    >>
    >> Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.
    >>
    >> However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
    >> sleep.
    >>
    >> I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
    >> plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
    >> windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
    >> you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
    >> does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.
    >>
    >> If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed version
    >> of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing safe mode,
    >> if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy of windows on
    >> the machine and if you really don't want to do that you can deactivate the
    >> windows activation, I'll let you google that one yourself.
    >>

    > I started out with 30 days, but I swapped in a MB that did not physically
    > fit in order to test my theory that the original MB was toast. The 30 days
    > came up as 3 days, then became an immediate requirement. It took two or
    > three days for 30 to turn into 3, then another hour or two to become an
    > immediate requirement. 30 days to immediate requirement took a couple of
    > days on the calendar, but a matter of hours of troubleshooting time.
    >
    > Now, I can't do anything until I Activate, but the machine hangs before the
    > dialog box opens to guide me through the Activation.
    >
    > I just got off the phone with one of Bill's Boys, and we discovered that my
    > XP Home is an OEM copy, and the motherboard is a significant hardware change
    > that might be throwing the Activation off. Bill's Boys gave me a new Product
    > Key that, with any luck, will resolve my issues.
    >
    > I think my option is to to a fresh install and reformat C:\. I'm resisting
    > that, but it's looking like that's what I gotta do.
    >
    > This project is taking far more time than it should ...
    >
    > Murphy said, "any job no matter how small will rapidly expand to overfill
    > the alloted time to perform it." Aint that the truth!

    Ahhh thats right OEM copies are supposed to be installed on only one
    machine, once, they make some sort of hardware hash that identifies the
    machine, they will let you change so many of the components over X
    amount of time, but a new MOBO counts as a new PC or some rubbish like that.

    While I disagree with Microsoft's pricing and most of there EULA they
    are actually not so bad when you phone them up.

    Glad you got that one sorted out.

    JD
    JD, Jul 25, 2009
  6. Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE

    I had to do a fresh install that wiped C:\ clean. The Repair install refused
    to activate, even when I used a different Product Key provided by MSoft.

    The MSoft support guy gave it the old college try, hit one for the Gipper,
    all of that. But nothing worked using the Repair. Repair looked like it was
    going well, but the Activation Wizard simply failed to start properly. I
    wish I could have deleted a file or Registry entry and moved forward from
    there, but not even MSoft knows the secret I was looking for.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 25, 2009
  7. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE

    Jeff,
    I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
    thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you were
    using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already used on
    "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's. I would
    expect it to fail using the first serial number. IF you could get someone
    at Microsoft to trust you ( good luck), then they could kill the first s/n
    and generate a new one for you.

    I had issues with my storebought XP years ago. I had it installed and
    running fine for ~ a year. Then they came out with that app on Windowsupdate
    that "verifies you have a legit s/n". Mine failed the test. I did a bit of
    yelling and eventually ended up talking to someone who had me run another
    app ( from install CD ??) . Then gave me a different number to enter. That
    screen layout for s/n was not even same format as usual license - maybe 9
    groups of 5 alphanumerics.?? Doing THAT generated a new s/n for me in the
    registry - it has worked fine since.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Sep 11, 2009
  8. Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE

    > Jeff,
    > I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
    > thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you were
    > using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already used on
    > "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's. I would
    > expect it to fail using the first serial number. IF you could get someone
    > at Microsoft to trust you ( good luck), then they could kill the first s/n
    > and generate a new one for you.
    >
    > I had issues with my storebought XP years ago. I had it installed and
    > running fine for ~ a year. Then they came out with that app on
    > Windowsupdate that "verifies you have a legit s/n". Mine failed the test.
    > I did a bit of yelling and eventually ended up talking to someone who had
    > me run another app ( from install CD ??) . Then gave me a different number
    > to enter. That screen layout for s/n was not even same format as usual
    > license - maybe 9 groups of 5 alphanumerics.?? Doing THAT generated a
    > new s/n for me in the registry - it has worked fine since.
    >
    > Bobb

    The Activation wasn't getting far enough to know that the Install was a
    duplicate. Turns out the issue was the Repair Install, I think. I eventually
    had to do a Full Install, and then the Activation Assistant worked properly.
    I also used the new key code that MSFT gave me. I had purchased an OEM CD
    from the local computer store that was intended for use with a Dell System.
    My Install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the Orignial
    Install -- significant hardware changes. I think that the Full Install with
    the original key code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.

    As an update,
    The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The lady
    has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it back when
    they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3, the drivers
    for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers available. The
    lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free printer, and
    immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 12, 2009
  9. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    >> Jeff,
    >> I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
    >> thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you
    >> were using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already
    >> used on "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's?
    >> Bobb
    >>

    > I had purchased an OEM CD from the local computer store that was intended
    > for use with a Dell System.

    Did the store owner say it WOULD work ?

    > My install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the Orignial
    > Install -- significant hardware changes.

    Isn't the program expecting to find it's own apps, info on the hidden
    partition

    > I think that the Full Install with the original key
    > code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.

    A full OEM install ?? I always thought an OEM CD was only for restoring that
    model. I used to work on OEM stuff and was told that - how it works is that
    the OEM s/n needs to match ... some hardware key at a low level: prior to CD
    even starting the process.

    > As an update,
    > The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The
    > lady has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it
    > back when they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3,
    > the drivers for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers
    > available. The lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free
    > printer, and immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.

    You tried to manually load the original driver and got an error ?
    I would think it would work if loaded, but not autofind/autosense it.
    Glad I was never an WinME user.
    - Bobb -, Sep 12, 2009
  10. Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> Jeff,
    >>> I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
    >>> thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you
    >>> were using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already
    >>> used on "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's?
    >>> Bobb
    >>>

    >> I had purchased an OEM CD from the local computer store that was intended
    >> for use with a Dell System.

    > Did the store owner say it WOULD work ?

    It did work when I bought it. It did not fail until I did a significant
    upgrade to the system, and attempted a Repair Install.

    >> My install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the
    >> Orignial Install -- significant hardware changes.

    > Isn't the program expecting to find it's own apps, info on the hidden
    > partition

    That's stuff for the Magic Smoke to sort out. You know magic smoke; it's
    that stuff that if it comes out, nothing works anymore.

    >> I think that the Full Install with the original key
    >> code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.
    >>

    > A full OEM install ?? I always thought an OEM CD was only for restoring
    > that model. I used to work on OEM stuff and was told that - how it works
    > is that the OEM s/n needs to match ... some hardware key at a low level:
    > prior to CD even starting the process.

    I get the Install Options of, New or Repair.

    >> As an update,
    >> The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The
    >> lady has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it
    >> back when they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3,
    >> the drivers for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers
    >> available. The lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free
    >> printer, and immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.

    > You tried to manually load the original driver and got an error ?
    > I would think it would work if loaded, but not autofind/autosense it.
    > Glad I was never an WinME user.

    The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
    options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
    found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with the
    next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox does
    not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 12, 2009
  11. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    > The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
    > options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
    > found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with
    > the next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox
    > does not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.

    So printer still ok on NON SP3 boxes ?
    (I'm just trying to learn) It never prompted to calibrate before ?
    The printer comes READY ? ( trying to see if internal message from device or
    XP prompting)
    I have SP3 and an old HP DeskJet ( old driver from win2000 days) and never
    prompted to calibrate after SP3 . Guess I was lucky
    - Bobb -, Sep 12, 2009
  12. Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
    >> options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
    >> found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with
    >> the next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox
    >> does not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.

    > So printer still ok on NON SP3 boxes ?
    > (I'm just trying to learn) It never prompted to calibrate before ?
    > The printer comes READY ? ( trying to see if internal message from device
    > or XP prompting)
    > I have SP3 and an old HP DeskJet ( old driver from win2000 days) and never
    > prompted to calibrate after SP3 . Guess I was lucky

    I suppose it's okay, I haven't got a a machine that's not SP3 to test it on.

    But, yes, the printer comes to ready -- it's an ink jet, so Ready is not a
    very intensive process to meet -- but it is treated as if it has never been
    used before. Since it is always new, then it has to calibrate the head and
    set a flag someplace to indicate that the head has been calibrated.

    The missing/outdated DLL does not run under SP3, so the flag never gets set.
    The machine runs fine, but it insists that it must be calibrated, but
    calibration is not possible.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 12, 2009