    Niether can I access 'Help and Support Centre' from the Control-Panel.

    Has anyone please got any ideas what might be the cause, and how I might fix
    it ?

    Patrick, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Patrick

    UkDirtyDawg Guest

    The 1st thing 2 check is your system services,
    have a look 2 see if U have dissabled it in there ...
    I usually turn a few of mine off that I do not need .
    It could be 'manual' or 'Automatic' startup or whatever ...

    UkDirtyDawg, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    UkDirtyDawg wrote:
    > The 1st thing 2 check is your system services,
    > have a look 2 see if U have dissabled it in there ...
    > I usually turn a few of mine off that I do not need .
    > It could be 'manual' or 'Automatic' startup or whatever ...

    Ta for reply:
    Just checked, its set on Automatic.

    Patrick, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Patrick

    Simeon Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > As per subject, my 'Help and Support' on Start-menu has ceased to work.
    > I just get a second of the hour-glass and thats it.
    > Niether can I access 'Help and Support Centre' from the Control-Panel.
    >
    > Has anyone please got any ideas what might be the cause, and how I might

    fix
    > it ?

    Right click on the Start menu, select Properties, click on Customize,
    Advanced and make sure Help and Support is checked in the list

    --
    Simeon

    Simeon, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Patrick mused:
    >>
    >> As per subject, my 'Help and Support' on Start-menu has ceased to
    >> work.
    >> I just get a second of the hour-glass and thats it.
    >> Niether can I access 'Help and Support Centre' from the
    >> Control-Panel.
    >>
    >> Has anyone please got any ideas what might be the cause, and how I
    >> might fix it ?

    > Have you run any registry cleaning programs such as EasyCleaner?
    > Some of them are not set up for XP, and will delete the registry
    > values that Help and Support need to work. You may note that some
    > automatically have "norton" in their Skip/Ignore string. For XP, add
    > "Help" to this field as well. If you have run such a thing, then try
    > restoring the registry from the backup created by the cleaning
    > program.

    Yes, I did install something that had a default 'Norton' exclusion, a while
    ago.
    I know I installed 'AgentRansack' which is a search facility.
    Anyway thanks for suggestion, I'll check it out and get back to you.
    Thanks for your reply, I'll check it out, and post back.

    Patrick, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Sorry bout hold up, 'EasyClean' was what I installed the other day and I
    just went riot with it.
    I going to have to read about it properly now.
    Thankd for your attention, I'll get back.

    Patrick, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Patrick mused:
    >>
    >> As per subject, my 'Help and Support' on Start-menu has ceased to
    >> work.
    >> I just get a second of the hour-glass and thats it.
    >> Niether can I access 'Help and Support Centre' from the
    >> Control-Panel.
    >>
    >> Has anyone please got any ideas what might be the cause, and how I
    >> might fix it ?

    > Have you run any registry cleaning programs such as EasyCleaner?
    > Some of them are not set up for XP, and will delete the registry
    > values that Help and Support need to work. You may note that some
    > automatically have "norton" in their Skip/Ignore string. For XP, add
    > "Help" to this field as well. If you have run such a thing, then try
    > restoring the registry from the backup created by the cleaning
    > program.

    Fixed!
    Thanks "mhicaoidh", I ran the *.reg file in EasyClean directory and home.
    Thanks again everybody.
    Best wishs Patrick

    Patrick, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Patrick

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Patrick mused:

    | Fixed!
    | Thanks "mhicaoidh", I ran the *.reg file in EasyClean directory and home.
    | Thanks again everybody.
    | Best wishs Patrick

    Great! I did the same thing, so don't feel bad. If you add "Help" to
    the exclusions (so it reads "norton, Help"), then it will avoid nixing your
    Help and Support in future.

    mhicaoidh, Jul 17, 2003
  9. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Patrick mused:
    >>
    >> Fixed!
    >> Thanks "mhicaoidh", I ran the *.reg file in EasyClean directory and
    >> home. Thanks again everybody.
    >> Best wishs Patrick

    > Great! I did the same thing, so don't feel bad. If you add
    > "Help" to the exclusions (so it reads "norton, Help"), then it will
    > avoid nixing your Help and Support in future.

    Yeagh, thanks again, I was a little upset that you might not have seen my
    reply, telling you that you had given me the answer.
    I had thought to use System-Restore, but you saved me haveing to do so.
    I had read a warning to read the FAQ if useing XP, but just skimmed through.

    Patrick, Jul 17, 2003