    diagnostics. Could it be something like a corrupt boot sector or MBR, or do
    these get replaced when a Ghost partition image is restored?

    Any and all help appreciated.
    Fid, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Fid

    Silvia Saint Guest

    Fid wrote:
    > Trying to troubleshoot my daughters PC, which won't boot.
    >
    > It's an Athlon XP2500 on an MSI-KT6 board. The drive is a Maxtor
    > SATA 120 GB. The system posts fine, but hangs at bootup, with the
    > Windows splash screen and scrolling blue bar. Starting in Safe mode
    > also hangs. She has restored a good Ghost image, but the system
    > still hangs as before.
    >
    > I'll be dropping in tomorrow to check it out in person, but I could
    > use some advice as to what to check. I'll be taking along the Maxtor
    > diagnostics. Could it be something like a corrupt boot sector or
    > MBR, or do these get replaced when a Ghost partition image is
    > restored?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.

    Format, reinstall.
    Silvia Saint, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Fid

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:19:18 +0200, "Silvia Saint" <>
    wrote:

    >Fid wrote:
    >> Trying to troubleshoot my daughters PC, which won't boot.
    >>
    >> It's an Athlon XP2500 on an MSI-KT6 board. The drive is a Maxtor
    >> SATA 120 GB. The system posts fine, but hangs at bootup, with the
    >> Windows splash screen and scrolling blue bar. Starting in Safe mode
    >> also hangs. She has restored a good Ghost image, but the system
    >> still hangs as before.
    >>
    >> I'll be dropping in tomorrow to check it out in person, but I could
    >> use some advice as to what to check. I'll be taking along the Maxtor
    >> diagnostics. Could it be something like a corrupt boot sector or
    >> MBR, or do these get replaced when a Ghost partition image is
    >> restored?
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated.

    >Format, reinstall.

    As I mentioned, a known good Ghost image was restored.

    You must do support work for Dell...
    --
    If ignorance isn't bliss - I don't know what it is.
    Spuds, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Fid

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:22:12 -0400, Spuds <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:19:18 +0200, "Silvia Saint" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Fid wrote:
    >>> Trying to troubleshoot my daughters PC, which won't boot.
    >>>
    >>> It's an Athlon XP2500 on an MSI-KT6 board. The drive is a Maxtor
    >>> SATA 120 GB. The system posts fine, but hangs at bootup, with the
    >>> Windows splash screen and scrolling blue bar. Starting in Safe mode
    >>> also hangs. She has restored a good Ghost image, but the system
    >>> still hangs as before.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be dropping in tomorrow to check it out in person, but I could
    >>> use some advice as to what to check. I'll be taking along the Maxtor
    >>> diagnostics. Could it be something like a corrupt boot sector or
    >>> MBR, or do these get replaced when a Ghost partition image is
    >>> restored?
    >>>
    >>> Any and all help appreciated.

    >>Format, reinstall.

    >As I mentioned, a known good Ghost image was restored.

    Wouldn't going to the Repair console and running FIXBOOT and FIXMBR help this?

    >You must do support work for Dell...

    Or HP.

    --
    Sysadminry teaches that achieving your desired results does not require a
    raised voice. It merely requires that any intervening impediments be...
    Mara, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Fid

    Fid Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:50:36 -0500, Mara <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:22:12 -0400, Spuds <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:19:18 +0200, "Silvia Saint" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Format, reinstall.

    >>As I mentioned, a known good Ghost image was restored.

    >Wouldn't going to the Repair console and running FIXBOOT and FIXMBR help this?

    On my list to try. Thanks.

    >>You must do support work for Dell...

    >Or HP.

    =:cool: