    Initializing disk 0 etc...

    Any ideas,
    TIA

    spy, Dec 27, 2003

  2. spy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ikupuvgs5vsm56kah47kd7cfcncarqnfd4@
    4ax.com:

    > Hello again,
    > Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
    > power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
    > install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
    > trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
    > first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
    > error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
    > Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
    > information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
    > steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
    > load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
    > It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
    > Initializing disk 0 etc...
    >
    > Any ideas,
    > TIA

    The suggestion is to dump all the partitions and just make one that
    covers the entire <C>. Also, are you taking the *recovery* path at this
    point? If you're taking the recovery path, there is nothing to recover
    from and you should be taking the full install path.

    You should look at *hardening* the XP O/S from attack from the Internet,
    once you get it running.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 27, 2003

  3. spy

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ikupuvgs5vsm56kah47kd7cfcncarqnfd4@
    4ax.com:

    > steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
    > load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
    > It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
    > Initializing disk 0 etc...

    A) Remove all disk partitions to start with.
    B) If you are saying it booted successfully into the installer and then
    hung, it could be two things that immediately come to mind:
    Hard drive is flaky (check with manufacturer's utility)
    or
    Restart the install, and when it says "Press F6 to load third party...",
    press F7. Not F6, F7. This will let you tell Windows that you are not an
    ACPI Uniprocessor machine, but a "Standard PC". I had a Windows 2000
    server install that did the same thing that ended up with me wasting two
    days of my time swapping RAM, hard drives, NICs, motherboards, CPUs,
    everything, until I finally changed it to Standard PC which fixed the
    problem.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 27, 2003
  4. spy

    hyenapower Guest

    Who is we. Why not you. Are you with a group of human beings? Probably, I
    don't have any peers.

    hyenapower, Dec 27, 2003
  5. spy

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:33:08 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >Hello again,
    > Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
    >power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
    >install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
    >trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
    >first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
    >error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
    >Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
    >information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
    >steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
    >load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
    >It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
    >Initializing disk 0 etc...

    My guess is that your problem never WAS the power supply.

    My guess is that you have a bad hard drive...or a bad IDE cable. If
    the drive is new, I'd go with a bad IDE cable.

    Try a different cable.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 28, 2003