XP. Getting a lot of software lockups, wants to send report to M$

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I get an awful lot of application lockups that, when they finally
    resolve themselves (by shutting down), want to send an error report to
    M$. I use FireFox most frequently so most errors are in that but
    almost any program I've run will freeze at one time or another. What
    usually happens is I'll be on a website or webmail and start wandering
    around to other sites with 3 or 4 windows open. When I go back to the
    original site I started out from I'll get a long delay then the error
    message. It sort of seems like anything I let sit open in a window for
    over a few minutes wants to freeze. If I start out on Yahoo, when I
    come back to it it freezes. If I start on Ebay, when I come back it
    will freeze but not always right away either. It isn't happening a
    huge amount of the time but often enough to make me want to figure out
    what is doing it. I get no significant information from the error
    report window but get a large file in the error report breakdown,
    which I understand none of.

    Ideas??

    TIA

    JohnF
    ShuttleX
    XP pro updated
    Athlon 2800+
    1GB mem

    JohnF, Sep 26, 2006

  2. JohnF

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, mpi-
    says...
    > I get an awful lot of application lockups that, when they finally
    > resolve themselves (by shutting down), want to send an error report to
    > M$. I use FireFox most frequently so most errors are in that but
    > almost any program I've run will freeze at one time or another. What
    > usually happens is I'll be on a website or webmail and start wandering
    > around to other sites with 3 or 4 windows open. When I go back to the
    > original site I started out from I'll get a long delay then the error
    > message. It sort of seems like anything I let sit open in a window for
    > over a few minutes wants to freeze. If I start out on Yahoo, when I
    > come back to it it freezes. If I start on Ebay, when I come back it
    > will freeze but not always right away either. It isn't happening a
    > huge amount of the time but often enough to make me want to figure out
    > what is doing it. I get no significant information from the error
    > report window but get a large file in the error report breakdown,
    > which I understand none of.

    Have you checked for viruses/malware?

    Have you checked to make sure the PC is not over-heating (are all the
    fans clean)?

    Have you applied all updates?

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Sep 26, 2006

  3. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    All XP updates.
    Scans are daily with AVG Free and an occasional online scan just for
    grins.
    Spybot S&D
    Windows Defender
    Updated FireFox
    This is has a variable speed fan and radiator setup. If it gets too
    hot the fan picksup RPM audibly. The power supply fan is relatively
    clean and working.

    JohnF

    JohnF, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Re: XP. Getting a lot of software lockups, wants to send report toM$

    JohnF wrote:
    > I get an awful lot of application lockups that, when they finally
    > resolve themselves (by shutting down), want to send an error report to
    > M$. I use FireFox most frequently so most errors are in that but
    > almost any program I've run will freeze at one time or another. What
    > usually happens is I'll be on a website or webmail and start wandering
    > around to other sites with 3 or 4 windows open. When I go back to the
    > original site I started out from I'll get a long delay then the error
    > message. It sort of seems like anything I let sit open in a window for
    > over a few minutes wants to freeze. If I start out on Yahoo, when I
    > come back to it it freezes. If I start on Ebay, when I come back it
    > will freeze but not always right away either. It isn't happening a
    > huge amount of the time but often enough to make me want to figure out
    > what is doing it. I get no significant information from the error
    > report window but get a large file in the error report breakdown,
    > which I understand none of.
    >
    > Ideas??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > JohnF
    > ShuttleX
    > XP pro updated
    > Athlon 2800+
    > 1GB mem

    Disable that stupid error reporting junk by going to Control Panel,
    Administrative Tools, Services, look down the list for Error Reporting
    Service. Right-click on the service and disable it and stop the
    service.

    Your Name Here, Sep 26, 2006
  5. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:28:45 -0500, Your Name Here
    <> wrote:

    >Disable that stupid error reporting junk by going to Control Panel,
    >Administrative Tools, Services, look down the list for Error Reporting
    >Service. Right-click on the service and disable it and stop the
    >service.

    It's not the reporting I'm concerned about I can cancel that. It's
    whatever is freezing up my software I'm trying to figure out.

    JohnF

    JohnF, Sep 27, 2006