XP "genuine advantage" Big Brother nightmares

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by xp ?, Jun 4, 2006.

  1. xp ?

    xp ? Guest

    Last night, while working on something else, I stupidly authorized
    Windows to install a "genuine advantage" update that it was bugging me
    for permission to install. I'd have been more scrutinous of this
    request, had I not been distracted on other things.

    So when I flipped the computer on this morning, I got a warning that I
    may be using counterfeit XP software, or something to that effect. It
    bugged me every step of the login process about this, and I blew it off
    with the "resolve later" option they finally gave me.

    20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with the
    white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.

    I restarted the computer and used System Restore to restore to a point
    before I installed the "genuine advantage" (what a laugh) update.

    My question is, how do I now avoid this update going onto my computer,
    or better yet, how do I essentially permanently decline the "right" to
    have it automatically installed?

    By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that I
    have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
    data, and new graphics card.

    I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I have
    no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

    The computer is up to date in Windows' eyes. It has SP2 on it, and the
    Windows Updates download at night and install in the background.

    I am sure millions of users are waking up to this same nightmare I just
    experienced, so I am sure solutions to this issue will soon be widely
    propagating on the web.

    And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the "genuine
    advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if I pay them
    money.
    xp ?, Jun 4, 2006

  2. <snip>

    > By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that I
    > have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
    > data, and new graphics card.
    >
    > I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I have
    > no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

    <snip>

    Hey! If you buy a car from a friend, drive it for two years before you are
    pulled over in a traffic stop and find out the car is stolen, do you expect
    to still keep that car "because you have driven it for two years and it has
    given you no problems"? Of course not. You live with the consequences.

    Not a great analogy I know, but the best I can come up with at the present.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, Jun 4, 2006

  3. xp ?

    kurttrail Guest

    xp ? wrote:

    > Last night, while working on something else, I stupidly authorized
    > Windows to install a "genuine advantage" update that it was bugging me
    > for permission to install. I'd have been more scrutinous of this
    > request, had I not been distracted on other things.
    >
    > So when I flipped the computer on this morning, I got a warning that I
    > may be using counterfeit XP software, or something to that effect. It
    > bugged me every step of the login process about this, and I blew it
    > off with the "resolve later" option they finally gave me.
    >
    > 20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with
    > the white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.
    >
    > I restarted the computer and used System Restore to restore to a point
    > before I installed the "genuine advantage" (what a laugh) update.
    >
    > My question is, how do I now avoid this update going onto my computer,
    > or better yet, how do I essentially permanently decline the "right" to
    > have it automatically installed?
    >
    > By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that
    > I have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive
    > for data, and new graphics card.
    >
    > I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I
    > have no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.
    >
    > The computer is up to date in Windows' eyes. It has SP2 on it, and
    > the Windows Updates download at night and install in the background.
    >
    > I am sure millions of users are waking up to this same nightmare I
    > just experienced, so I am sure solutions to this issue will soon be
    > widely propagating on the web.
    >
    > And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the
    > "genuine advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if
    > I pay them money.

    Stop using MS's Updaters, Windows, Microsoft, and Automatic Updates.

    Learn to patch your OS through Common Sense Computing:

    http://comsense.microscum.com

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt Kirsch
    kurttrail, Jun 4, 2006
  4. xp ?

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Either you have a valid copy of XP on your machine or you don't and stop
    whining or go to Linux.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 4, 2006
  5. xp ?

    Robert Moir Guest

    xp ? wrote:

    > I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I
    > have no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.
    >
    > The computer is up to date in Windows' eyes. It has SP2 on it, and
    > the Windows Updates download at night and install in the background.
    >
    > I am sure millions of users are waking up to this same nightmare I
    > just experienced, so I am sure solutions to this issue will soon be
    > widely propagating on the web.
    >
    > And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the
    > "genuine advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if
    > I pay them money.

    WGA is catching some people who are using pirated software, many without
    even knowing they are. If you fall into this catagory then Microsoft are not
    the people who are shaking you down.

    It also appears to be catching out a lot of genuine users who have a problem
    with their system or who are encountering bugs in WGA itself - not sure
    which.

    I totally sympathise, but if you're not willing to invest the time to find
    out if you do have a genuine licence or not then it isn't really possible to
    say much constructive about the situation.
    Robert Moir, Jun 4, 2006
  6. xp ? <> wrote:

    > So when I flipped the computer on this morning, I got a warning that I
    > may be using counterfeit XP software, or something to that effect. It
    > bugged me every step of the login process about this, and I blew it
    > off with the "resolve later" option they finally gave me.

    This might or might not actually be the case: there are some false positives
    at present. Please download the MGA diagnostic from:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062
    and run it. Click the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste the result into
    a post on the special WGA forum at:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25
    where you will get better advice than from this Windows Update forum.

    > 20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with
    > the white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.

    This might just be a bad coincidence: there is no reason why the WGA process
    should have provoked a blue-screen. If it happens again, note down the
    diagnostic details at the bottom of the screen, which should serve to narrow
    down the cause of the crash.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    Robin Walker [MVP], Jun 4, 2006
  7. xp ?

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jun 4, 2006
  8. xp ?

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    xp ? spewed forth:
    > I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I
    > have no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

    The DISC makes no difference at all (other than needing to match the
    type/version of the supplied license key). It's the COA key on the label
    that comes WITH the disc that determines if a copy of XP is legit or not.
    Most of my discs are copies, slipstreamed with SP2. They are NOT genuine
    insofar as MS didn't make/distribute them. But my licenses are in order.

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2006
  9. Change your Automatic Update settings to stop this or any other update from
    downloading and installing without your explicit permission:
    Right click My Computer and click Properties.
    Click Automatic Update tab.
    Make selections as desired.
    If you disable Automatic Update, make sure you periodically check since you
    will no longer be notified by Windows.
    Normally updates are released the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

    You have what appears to be a genuine CD, do you also have the original
    Product Key?
    Have you verified that the correct CD and Product Key were used to install
    Windows on your computer?
    It would not be the first time I saw a computer with pirated Windows
    installed even though there was a proper installation method available.

    You should determine if your Windows XP installation is legitimate:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx

    Also see:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 4, 2006
  10. xp ?

    Gaoler Guest

    Gaoler, Jun 5, 2006
  11. xp ?

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Mistoffolees, Jun 5, 2006
  12. xp ?

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:36:12 -0500, Gaoler <> wrote:

    >Jupiter forgot to include this helpful link:
    ><link not workng>

    http://9down.com/downloads.php?fileid=340

    better go with this one it works!

    --