    does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
    spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
    reinstall again!

    Martik, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Martik

    SLP Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > My son clicked on the Yahoo search icon in IE6 and now XP is unusable.
    > It boots up and displays all the icons but any program you launch either
    > does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
    > spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
    > reinstall again!

    Have you tried the System Restore tool? It's always worth trying that before
    doing a reinstall - you may need to run it in Safe Mode though.

    I doubt 'clicking on the Yahoo search icon' caused the problem either -
    things like that are usually just an unfortunately timed coincidence.

    SLP

    SLP, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Martik

    °Mike° Guest

    Try system restore and/or the recovery console.

    HOW TO Restore the Operating System to a Previous
    State in Windows XP

    HOW TO Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:42:04 GMT, in
    <>
    Martik scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Martik

    Trax Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:42:04 GMT, Martik <> wrote:

    |>My son clicked on the Yahoo search icon in IE6 and now XP is unusable.
    |>It boots up and displays all the icons but any program you launch either
    |>does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
    |>spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
    |>reinstall again!

    If a system restore doesn't work, create a new user and use that account from
    now on.

    Sometimes the NTUSER.DAT file goes bad.
    --
    ,,