    to run.
    Any ideas please.
    J McC
    J-McC, Apr 26, 2007

  2. J-McC

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "J-McC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I am having a problem with XP-pro. If I boot in safe mode then I
    > can load my account propfile and perform some functions. I was able
    > to run NOD32 and it did not find any viruses.
    > If I try and run Win XP-pro under normal conditions then it freezes
    > and the hard drive access light stays on but the only way to get
    > control is to do a cold boot/reset.
    > I have run msconfig under safe mode and noted the only weird/unusual
    > prog name was winnt in the startup progs (under msconfig) I unchecked
    > that but it made no difference.
    > I am unsure what to try next. I did try "sfc /scannow" but it refused
    > to run.
    > Any ideas please.
    > J McC

    Go to the link and download Process Explorer.

    You can create a short-cut for Process Explorer and put the short-cut in the
    Start-up folder so when you boot the machine and logon, PE is up and running
    so you can see what is running.

    You can select a process in the upper pane and right-click/Properties and
    look at running process.

    You can go to menu View and Show Lower Pane and in Lower Pane Show all
    Dll's, which will show all processes that are running with a process when
    you select it in the Upper Pane. You can right-click in the lower pane too.

    You can possibly Kill the task before things go bad with PE.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

    There are some other Sysinternal utilities like the disk activity ones you
    can use to look around with them.

    <http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23780-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html>

    More tools are being talked about in the link below like Active Ports
    (short-cut in the Startup folder and Refresh rate set to High so you can see
    what's happening when you log on). You can terminate a task with AP too.

    <http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html>
    Mr. Arnold, Apr 26, 2007

  3. J-McC wrote:

    > Hi, I am having a problem with XP-pro. If I boot in safe mode then I
    > can load my account propfile and perform some functions. I was able
    > to run NOD32 and it did not find any viruses.
    > If I try and run Win XP-pro under normal conditions then it freezes
    > and the hard drive access light stays on but the only way to get
    > control is to do a cold boot/reset.
    > I have run msconfig under safe mode and noted the only weird/unusual
    > prog name was winnt in the startup progs (under msconfig) I unchecked
    > that but it made no difference.
    > I am unsure what to try next. I did try "sfc /scannow" but it refused
    > to run.
    > Any ideas please.

    Prepare for a harddrive failure:
    When you boot in safe mode, DMA for harddisks is turned off, and the drive
    (still) works that way.
    When you start "normally", DMA errors hang your system, which probably is a
    sign of a drive on its way out.
    Do the backups. NOW.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 26, 2007
  4. J-McC

    J-McC Guest

    Re: XP freezes (what is new) hdd fault!

    Thank you for your advice, I was suspicious of the hdd and when I
    installed a new 80gb unit I tried to GHOST the old hdd to the new one.
    It stalled twice at 2 different groups of clusters. I then installed
    both drives in an other p/c and made them secondary primary and
    master, formated the 80gb drive, I unplugged the old 40gb while I did
    this, just to be very sure I could not destroy my old data etc. I
    then reconnected the old drive and using total commander
    http://www.ghisler.com/ I copied all the files from the 40 gb to the
    new 80gb. It also hicupped when transferring the files but it copied
    the lot over anyway. Total commander is very good in that you can set
    it to "see" all hidden and system files etc. If it can see them it
    can copy them too.
    I then re-installed Win-XP and all is working well now.
    J-McC

    J-McC, Apr 30, 2007
  5. Re: XP freezes (what is new) hdd fault!

    J-McC wrote:

    > Thank you for your advice, I was suspicious of the hdd and when I
    > installed a new 80gb unit I tried to GHOST the old hdd to the new one.
    > It stalled twice at 2 different groups of clusters. I then installed

    With ghost, you have a option to continue on bad clusters (ghost /? will
    tell). A while ago I cloned a dying drive (windows didn't start anymore)
    that way, did a repair install over the new image after a chkdsk, and
    it "almost" worked. It simply rebooted unless in safe mode, so I moved all
    non-microsoft drivers out of the way and back, until I found one that got
    corrupted due to the drive failure (the microsoft drivers have been
    replaced by the repair install anyway).

    Nice you got it working again :)
    Walter Mautner, Apr 30, 2007