    I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    no avail.

    Anybody have any ideas?
    JimTheAverage, Jan 16, 2008

  2. JimTheAverage

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:04:30 -0800 (PST), JimTheAverage wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from,

    24hoursupport.helpdesk, microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    It's not really a setup_deployment issue nor is it problem with the XP
    Help and Support center, you know the 1 Start/ Help and Support.

    List of XP groups
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607002&expand=1
    several choices.

    ..basics
    ..network_web
    ..general

    Search the XP groups first, it's a common issue you have.

    >I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.

    So far , good.

    >PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >this server to find out if you have access permissions."

    Each PC has the same user account / password(can be different) on each?

    Administrator can see all the shares ok or not?

    >PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >
    >PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >
    >PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >
    >I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and

    Wrong.

    If none of these are internet connected, so no ADSL, PPP ,PPoE clients
    or anything else, you need

    File/Print sharing....

    >protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning

    Wrong.

    Only need TCP/IP, ignoring older protocols starting with N :)

    >off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.

    Wrong.

    Don't run 2 firewalls, if these are on different PCs then you
    specifically allow F&P sharing only on the trusted LAN or even safer
    on;y from specific PCs to each other.

    >I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >no avail.

    Searching old post in 24HSHD for the lists of home networking and more
    specific xp file sharing links.

    for xp file sharing , nothing difficult in that choice of words :)

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...roup=24hoursupport.helpdesk&q=xp file sharing

    Only Jan 2nd last links posted

    Sharing folders with Windows XP?
    Both computers have file and printer sharing enabled. Remember to allow
    file
    sharing on your firewall (whatever you use) setup. You didn't say if it
    XP Pro ...
    View products that this article applies to. ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874 -
    Similar pages Windows XP Simple File Sharing If you're sharing an ...
    Jan 2 by why? - 3 messages - 3 authors

    There are several other Ms articles, and many home networking sites with
    step by step guides (and pictures).

    >Anybody have any ideas?

    Why not try it with only 2 PCs, get two working first.

    Me
    why?, Jan 16, 2008

  3. "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message
    >I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >
    > PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    > I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >
    > PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >
    > PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >
    > PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >
    > I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    > protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    > off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >
    > I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas?

    Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being disabled /
    not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for disabled items. I
    believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and things started working...

    Worth a try.

    -Jeepers
    Jeepers Creepers, Jan 16, 2008
  4. JimTheAverage

    JS Guest

    Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.

    JS

    JS, Jan 16, 2008
  5. JimTheAverage

    Cirga Guest

    It can be a bit fickle doing sharing between XP Pro PC's.

    Two things you need to check:

    1) Does each PC have its own computer name? -- going into
    properties and checking computer name on My computer

    2) Does each PC have a different user logging in? Or do you have
    the same login name for each PC? Remember that when connecting to
    another PC.. it will usually see the user as computername1\username.
    So if you have the same username on all three PC's you could be having
    trouble merely because of that. Try creating three seperate username
    logins.. and see if that gives you different results.
    Cirga, Jan 16, 2008
  6. JimTheAverage

    John Holmes Guest

    Jeepers Creepers "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message
    > ..
    >>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>
    >> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>
    >> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>
    >> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any ideas?

    > Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being
    > disabled / not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for
    > disabled items. I believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and
    > things started working...
    >
    > Worth a try.
    >
    > -Jeepers

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! You fucking useless sheepfucker.

    --
    Your mother was an alien lunch room attendant who gave blow-jobs to
    passers-by under the influence of alcohol.
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2008
  7. JimTheAverage

    John Holmes Guest

    JS "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
    >>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>
    >> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>
    >> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>
    >> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any ideas?

    <top-poasting corrected>

    > Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.
    >
    > JS

    Yet another clueless fool responds. why? already came up with the correct
    answer.

    --
    Your mother was a touchy spammer who ran up huge phone bills in
    graveyards.
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2008
  8. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "Jeepers Creepers" <> wrote in message

    > "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message
    >>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>
    >> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>
    >> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>
    >> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any ideas?

    > Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being disabled /
    > not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for disabled items. I
    > believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and things started working...
    >
    > Worth a try.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it ...but no luck.

    jim
    jim, Jan 16, 2008
  9. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "Cirga" <> wrote in message
    > It can be a bit fickle doing sharing between XP Pro PC's.
    >
    > Two things you need to check:
    >
    > 1) Does each PC have its own computer name? -- going into
    > properties and checking computer name on My computer

    Yes - different PC names.

    > 2) Does each PC have a different user logging in? Or do you have
    > the same login name for each PC? Remember that when connecting to
    > another PC.. it will usually see the user as computername1\username.
    > So if you have the same username on all three PC's you could be having
    > trouble merely because of that. Try creating three seperate username
    > logins.. and see if that gives you different results.

    Yes. All 3 are using different user login names.

    Now I am getting a message that says...."\\pcname\foldername is not
    accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out of you have access
    permission. -- Not enough server storage is available to process this
    command.

    Looking up that last part took me to posts that say to increase the
    IRPStackSize in the registry - but it is already at 50 (the maximum setting
    for XP - or so I have read).

    I even removed simple file sharing on the stingy PC and re-shared the folder
    with everyone having all permission - still no luck.

    The odd thing is that the stingy PC has shared its printers without a hitch.

    jim

    jim, Jan 16, 2008
  10. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > JS "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message

    > @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
    >>>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>>
    >>> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >>> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >>> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >>> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>>
    >>> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>>
    >>> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>>
    >>> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >>> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >>> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >>> no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have any ideas?

    > <top-poasting corrected>
    >

    >> Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.
    >>
    >> JS

    > Yet another clueless fool responds. why? already came up with the correct
    > answer.

    Shows how much you know....none of the answers thus far have solved the
    problem.

    jim
    jim, Jan 16, 2008
  11. JimTheAverage wrote:
    > I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >
    > PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    > I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >
    > PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >
    > PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >
    > PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >
    > I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    > protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    > off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >
    > I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas?

    On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
    configured properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall is
    disabled on the internal LAN connection.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:

    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
    Bruce Chambers, Jan 17, 2008
  12. JimTheAverage

    > "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message
    >>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>
    >> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>
    >> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>
    >> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any ideas?

    > Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being disabled /
    > not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for disabled items. I
    > believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and things started working...
    >
    > Worth a try.
    >
    > -Jeepers

    Just an update.....I found the culprit. I don't know why or how it created
    this nightmare yet - but I have fired off a note to the publishers to try
    and get an answer.

    The application that completely screwed my networking up was Eset's NOD32
    Antivirus and Smart Security Suite. Once removed from all PCs, the network
    works like a charm.

    This is not the first bad run-in I've had with Eset's NOD32 and Smart
    Security. On several occassions I have seen Eset's software break
    applications by blocking them from running with absolutely NO warning or
    indication that it had done anything at all. On other occassions I have
    seen NOD32 toss up red threat screens to customers only to see that there
    was no "clean" or "quarantine" buttons at all and nothing on the blaring red
    threat screen said that NOD32 knew what to do or was going to take any
    action at all. All you could do was close the threat screen and wonder if
    you were protected.

    It's sad really. NOD32 used to do one thing - kill viruses - and it did it
    well. With all of the crap they are cramming into NOD32, they have created
    a monster of a headache to deal with. And, no documentation of any
    consequence comes with the product.

    When an application blocks something or cleans something or quarantines
    something, wouldn't it be great of it told you what it did? Eset's
    applications don't. they keep you guessing and wasting valuable time and
    resources trying to find problems that appear to be network or application
    related - NOT security related.

    Now, whenever I see ANY problem on a PC with Eset's products installed, my
    first course of action will be to uninstall Eset's software before I change
    a single setting.

    Thanks for all of the suggestions and watch yourself arounf Eset's NOD32 and
    "Smart Security".

    jim
    jim, Jan 17, 2008
  13. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message
> [...]

    action at all. All you could do was close the threat screen and wonder if
    you were protected.

    It's sad really. NOD32 used to do one thing - kill viruses - and it did it
    well. With all of the crap they are cramming into NOD32, they have created
    a monster of a headache to deal with. And, no documentation of any
    consequence comes with the product.

    When an application blocks something or cleans something or quarantines
    something, wouldn't it be great of it told you what it did? Eset's
    applications don't. They keep you guessing and wasting valuable time and
    resources trying to find problems that appear to be network or application
    related - NOT security related.

    Now, whenever I see ANY problem on a PC with Eset's products installed, my
    first course of action will be to uninstall Eset's software before I change

    Thanks for all of the suggestions and watch yourself around Eset's NOD32 and
    "Smart Security".

    jim
    jim, Jan 17, 2008
  14. JimTheAverage

    Guest

    "jim" <> wrote:

    >On other occassions I have
    >seen NOD32 toss up red threat screens to customers only to see that there
    >was no "clean" or "quarantine" buttons at all and nothing on the blaring red
    >threat screen said that NOD32 knew what to do or was going to take any
    >action at all.

    One time I was given a choice to suspend NOD32 for 10 minutes ( along
    with clean and quarantine); that's handy if you actually wish to
    download a virus or check one out. I don't get that option anymore.

    Other than that, I haven't had a problem with NOD32 at all, never
    tried the security suite.

    --

    Deadlock
    http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5781/deadlocknajkcomafarialibh3.jpg
  15. JimTheAverage

    Plato Guest

    JimTheAverage wrote:

    > I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >
    > PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    > I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions."

    Networking

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/...indows_XP_Networking_Microsoft_Windows_XP.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 17, 2008
  16. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > it
    > well. With all of the crap they are cramming into NOD32, they have
    > created
    > a monster of a headache to deal with. And, no documentation of any
    > consequence comes with the product.
    >
    > When an application blocks something or cleans something or quarantines
    > something, wouldn't it be great of it told you what it did? Eset's
    > applications don't. They keep you guessing and wasting valuable time and
    > resources trying to find problems that appear to be network or application
    > related - NOT security related.
    >
    > Now, whenever I see ANY problem on a PC with Eset's products installed, my
    > first course of action will be to uninstall Eset's software before I
    > change
    > a single setting.
    >
    > Thanks for all of the suggestions and watch yourself around Eset's NOD32

    Although I have been having issues other places with NOD32, that does NOT,
    now, seem to be the root source of the problem here.

    I have exactly the same problem after installing AVG Antivirus. I do not
    believe that NOD32 and AVG are likely to have exactly the same flaw
    (although it is not outside th realm of possibility).

    When I uninstall AVG, all is shared. If I install it...shares are blocked
    again.

    As much as I hate, hate, HATE it.....it looks like I may need to re-install
    XP on PC2 to see if I can isolate the problem.

    Just damn......like I have time for this.......

    jim
    jim, Jan 17, 2008
  17. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > JimTheAverage wrote:
    >>
    >> I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."

    > Networking
    >
    > http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/...indows_XP_Networking_Microsoft_Windows_XP.htm
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    Well, thanks for the links....but not one of them can tell me why installing
    AVG or NOD32 antivirus suddenly makes my shared folders not accessible.

    Without the antivirus software, everything is available.

    I just don't get it......

    jim
    jim, Jan 17, 2008
  18. JimTheAverage

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    >I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >
    > PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    > I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >
    > PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >
    > PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >
    > PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >
    > I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    > protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    > off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >
    > I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas?

    What it usually means is that you have user permission issues on the share
    itself. It could be that the Everyone group account has no permissions on
    the share, while all other user accounts have permissions on the share. The
    Everyone group account will supersedes all other accounts and their
    permissions, as an example.

    You can only see the share permissions for accounts on the share be
    disabling Simple File Sharing on XP Pro.

    You should take note in the link about the Authenticated User group on
    shares and remove the Everyone account off of the share.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 17, 2008
  19. JimTheAverage

    John Holmes Guest

    jim "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> JS "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message

    >> @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

    >> <top-poasting corrected>
    >>

    >>> Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.
    >>>
    >>> JS

    >> Yet another clueless fool responds. why? already came up with the
    >> correct answer.

    > Shows how much you know....none of the answers thus far have solved
    > the problem.
    >
    > jim

    That might be because you failed to mention the existence of the security
    programs you have running in your OP.

    --
    Your mother was an ennuied stripper who attracted crowds with her act on
    drugs.
    John Holmes, Jan 17, 2008
  20. JimTheAverage

    jim Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "JimTheAverage" <> wrote in message
    >>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
    >>
    >> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
    >> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
    >>
    >> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
    >>
    >> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
    >>
    >> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
    >> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
    >> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
    >>
    >> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any ideas?

    > What it usually means is that you have user permission issues on the share
    > itself. It could be that the Everyone group account has no permissions on
    > the share, while all other user accounts have permissions on the share.
    > The Everyone group account will supersedes all other accounts and their
    > permissions, as an example.
    >
    > You can only see the share permissions for accounts on the share be
    > disabling Simple File Sharing on XP Pro.
    >
    > You should take note in the link about the Authenticated User group on
    > shares and remove the Everyone account off of the share.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    I did disable Simple File Sharing. It showed that Everyone had full control
    in the Sharing as well as Security tabs - as I wanted it.

    But, if I remove Everyone from the shares, I will have to log in to the
    shares. Something that should be unneccessary. That's the whole reason for
    the Everyone account.

    jim
    jim, Jan 17, 2008