    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Aug 21, 2004

  2. John Dean

    Jerry G. Guest

    If want to format only 1.44 mb floppies, I believe it will do it with any
    drive, as long as it is commanded to format the 1.44 mb mode only. The
    driver would be to allow XP to format disks in the other modes, providing
    the floppy drive will support it as well.

    I would suggest getting the driver from the manufacture of the floppy drive
    you have, rather than downloading and installing something you are not sure
    of. Some of the name brand machines may use a version of this driver that is
    specific to their hardware interface, and this may not be good in a
    different machine.

    If I am correct, the floppy in my machine is a standard off-the-shelf 3.5
    inch LG. I have never tried it in any other mode, but this would be
    interesting.

    If you do the command FORMAT /? , you should get the format instructions. By
    default, XP performance with the floppy, is exactly what you say it is.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    "John Dean" <> wrote in message
    XP Home will not format floppy disks in a 1.44 A drive and will only
    intermittently recognise disks with data from a different machine. The
    disks themselves are fine.
    Knowledge Base Article 309623 says that Windows XP supports formatting
    only the 1.44MB disk format. Three-mode floppy drives (drives that are
    capable of reading/writing with 720KB, 1.2MB and 1.44MB 3.5" disks)
    requires special driver support, and support for this feature is not
    included in Windows XP.

    So -how do I confirm if I have a 3 mode drive? And is there somewhere I
    can get a driver to fix this problem?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    Jerry G., Aug 21, 2004

  3. John Dean

    aNOOB!e Guest

    I had same problem. I tried formatting then it would fail, then I'd
    try and read it and it would ask me to format it.

    I bought a new cable and that worked, i think. The same day I blew it
    up. I connected the power lead wrong and it started smokin. I then
    had to buy a new floppy. So realy could be both. I'd go with new
    cable though. it's about fifty pee cheeper, lol.

    The disks that faild to format, formatted when new cable and floppy
    were instaled. They work fine and still do.

    Hope this has helped.

    aNOOB!e, Aug 22, 2004