    clean) surely this isn't a problem.

    Thanks

    Clive

    Clive, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Clive

    Dazz Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:42 GMT, "Clive" <> wrote:

    >My web connection is Cable with a Netgear RP114 router.
    >
    >At the moment I have Sygate Pro installed, plus Avast AV, Trojanhunter and
    >Spybot.
    >
    >Could I get rid of Sygate and turn on the XP firewall? I understand that it
    >doesn't block any 'outgoing' traffic, but if my system is clean (and kept
    >clean) surely this isn't a problem.

    Yes, but why would you want to?

    You've already mentioned that fact that the XP firewall doesn't block
    any 'outgoing' traffic, so IF, despite your best attempts, something
    was installed on your computer without your knowledge, you wouldn't
    know about it until either Avast AV, Trojanhunter or Spybot picked it
    up (assuming they would).

    Just like anti-virus software, personal firewalls don't offer complete
    security, but they do offer *some* protection.

    The fact that XP's built in firewall does not offer outbound
    protection should immediately disqualify it as an "acceptable" option.

    Here's a scenario:

    You keep your system patched with the latest updates, you keep your
    antivirus software updated on a regular basis, and you also scan your
    PC on a regular basis with Spybot and Ad-aware. You've also stopped
    using a personal firewall and started using XP's built in firewall.

    One day while browsing some seemingly "innocent" websites, some
    software is downloaded onto your computer through a brand new
    vulnerability in IE that isn't widely known about.

    M$ haven't yet released a patch for the vulnerability.

    What would happen?

    Well, XP's firewall wouldn't stop the software from sending out
    valuable (and quite possibly, confidential) data because it doesn't
    block outbound traffic. Your antivirus software doesn't pick it up
    because it's not a virus. Spybot and Ad-aware may pick it up
    eventually, but how long is it until they do pick it up?

    So, where does that leave you?

    Recently, this scenario almost came true for me, but luckily, my
    personal firewall detected and prevented the outbound connection.

    While I don't put 100% trust in any personal firewall, I do feel a
    *little* safer knowing that there is that extra layer of protection.

    But only a little. :)

    Dazz

    Dazz, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Clive

    Kleeb Guest

    On 2004-07-13, Dazz <> schrieb:

    <snip>

    > The fact that XP's built in firewall does not offer outbound
    > protection should immediately disqualify it as an "acceptable" option.

    <snip>

    I totally agree with your opinions on the XP firewall. However, recently
    I've had a few colleagues ask me what they could do to stop porno ads
    suddenly appearing on their computer, amongst other things.

    I suspected the Windows Messenger Service, and duly gave them a few links
    and a few short steps on how to turn the bugger off. I also mentioned that
    they turn on the XP firewall if they were sure they didn't have that kind of
    application already present on their systems.

    I did also tell them to look further into getting a decent firewall. They're
    all on broadband connections.

    I see the XP firewall as a 'stop-gap', and a very temporary one at that.
    It's basically better than nothing. I thought that the 'NAT-like' qualities
    of the XP firewall would suffice for the short term, so they could take
    their time to find a good quality alternative.

    My reasoning for recommending the XP firewall was that these particular
    users would have been put off by me saying, "Go here and get this software,
    when it asks you to allow ... etc etc". I could just imagine them turning
    whatever personal firewall they'd just downloaded/purchased in a store
    off because it was 'too annoying'.

    Cordially,

    Kleeb.

    Kleeb, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Clive

    bill Guest

    I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
    keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
    software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
    AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
    these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
    wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.

    I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
    an attempt to play it safe.

    Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
    appreciated.

    Bill

    bill, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Clive

    Geoff Guest

    bill wrote:
    > I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
    > keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
    > software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
    > AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
    > these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
    > wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.
    >
    > I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
    > an attempt to play it safe.
    >
    > Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Bill

    Bill
    I found a program called 'SpywareBlaster' effective at stopping the
    spyware / adware etc from getting installed in the first place.
    I am running XP with a dedicated box running a software firewall
    called 'SmoothWall',SpywareBlaster,Spybot and 'The Cleaner',keeps my
    system clean and tidy
    HTH's
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Clive

    Leythos Guest

    In article <TpjJc.1530$nF1.968@lakeread04>, says...
    > I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
    > keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
    > software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
    > AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
    > these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
    > wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.
    >
    > I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
    > an attempt to play it safe.
    >
    > Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
    > appreciated.

    Bill, neither your ROUTER (not a firewall) or some of the blockers will
    keep you from getting spyware unless you use a locked-down browser, and
    don't visit sites that have those types of things.

    Try www.safer-networking.org and get Spybot - it's free and works quite
    well. Once you run SB you should use it's immunize function.

    You might also need to clean a bunch of thing out of the "add/remove
    programs" section and then edit the registry to completely remove them.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Clive

    Dazz Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:50:01 GMT, Kleeb <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >I see the XP firewall as a 'stop-gap', and a very temporary one at that.
    >It's basically better than nothing. I thought that the 'NAT-like' qualities
    >of the XP firewall would suffice for the short term, so they could take
    >their time to find a good quality alternative.

    As a stop gap measure, it's definitely better than nothing, but only
    just.

    >My reasoning for recommending the XP firewall was that these particular
    >users would have been put off by me saying, "Go here and get this software,
    >when it asks you to allow ... etc etc". I could just imagine them turning
    >whatever personal firewall they'd just downloaded/purchased in a store
    >off because it was 'too annoying'.

    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. :-(

    Unfortunately, some people don't understand that it's there to help
    protect them, and not to hinder them.

    Good luck.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Jul 15, 2004