xp firewall vs.zonealarm

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ICee, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. ICee

    ICee Guest

    Ðaz ©. wrote:
    > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
    > disabling it and using zonealarm?
    > tia

    Disable the XP firewall and use ZoneAlarm.

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004

  2. ICee

    ICee Guest

    ICee wrote:
    > Ðaz ©. wrote:
    >> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
    >> disabling it and using zonealarm?
    >> tia

    > Disable the XP firewall and use ZoneAlarm.

    And fix your clock. You're posting from the future.

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004

  3. ICee

    Miggsee Guest

    I agree with ICee, due to the fact that ZA monitors out going
    communications, and XP's firewall does not.

    Miggsee, Jan 28, 2004
  4. ICee

    Harrison Guest

    If you have a router or modem running NAT, the XP firewall is all you
    need. You can use the Advanced tab to tweak the settings.
    If you do not use NAT, then some other firewall is recommended.

    Harrison, Jan 28, 2004
  5. ICee

    Boomer Guest

    Ðaz ©., <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:

    > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
    > disabling it and using zonealarm?
    > tia

    Please fix your clock. You are posting from the future.

    Thanks.

    Boomer, Jan 28, 2004
  6. ICee

    fkasner Guest

    Ðaz ©. wrote:
    > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
    > it and using zonealarm?
    > tia

    ZONEALARM will monitor and control both input and output. Not so for the
    XP firewall.
    FK

    fkasner, Jan 28, 2004
  7. ICee

    Budweiser Guest

    > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
    > it and using zonealarm?
    > tia

    Personally i would do as suggested and not use the built in firewall.However
    although people sing the praises of zone alarm, i am not one of them--not
    that i advocate using Norton ("bloaty").
    I use --at present--Panda Platinum--and have had zero problems with virus or
    "attacks"--percieved or intentional.
    Others i have used ,and still do on some machines
    include-BlackIce(firewall)--Norton, but i does mess with the setup/config of
    the machine, and takes up more space than a fat thing on a fat day on a
    budget airline seat,and not forgetting McAfee,which is also tedious to set
    up,and catches little(when i had it running).

    From my experience a firewall is of little use-it covers a percieved
    risk--who wants to hack a home machine??-they present no challenge and no
    reward once entered.Most "attacks" you will (at home ) see are just
    scanners,or your IP seeing if your cable modem is alive and well, and or
    checking for periods of inactivity(dialup).

    However i do consider antiviri essential as the source can be from any
    number of media (web/floppy/borrowed cd et all) but again very few viri
    will actually harm you--they just like to re-populate themselves via address
    books etc--more of a nuisence than anything else.But there are ones out
    there that will mess with the system,so protection is a sensible idea.

    Do the AV companies create viri to scare us into buying detection
    software??--who knows,but it would not be the first time that someone has
    created a market for thier wares.

    The choice as ever is yours--

    just my thoughts on the subject,and as ever there will be someone along with
    a different point of view.

    Budweiser, Jan 28, 2004
  8. ICee

    Miggsee Guest

    Oops! I missed the timing........

    Miggsee, Jan 29, 2004
  9. ICee

    Boomer Guest

    Miggsee, <> wrote:

    > Oops! I missed the timing........

    Shame on you! lol ;)

    Boomer, Jan 29, 2004
  10. ICee

    Ðaz ©. Guest

    Ðaz ©., Jan 29, 2004
  11. ICee

    Route 9w Guest

    Nice post.
    Agreed on norton/mcafee.
    I like and use etrust and have good luck with the AV product. from
    past experience Panda works out well.
    The home pc thing is as pointed out.
    For broadband I use the router system with just the AV.
    I find anything symantec to be ...... well, there are better, smaller,
    easier to work with things out there.
    FWIW
    Joe

    Route 9w, Jan 31, 2004