    problem does not occur when running something like a bittorrent
    program that has more connections than just the simple file sharing
    between computers.

    Piccolo, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Piccolo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Piccolo <> wrote in news:4mu2n158m1oi43nn18bh5m15utm68o5mqk@
    4ax.com:

    > I have 3 computers all running XP Pro SP2. All have file sharing
    > turned on and all can access and send/revieve files. The problem I am
    > having is that whenever one computer tries to send a file (either sent
    > or trying to be retrieved) it disconnects the internet.

    What do you mean it drops of the Internet (WAN) Wide Area Network. Do you
    mean LAN (Local Area Network) that the machine is dropping off of?

    > It is easily
    > reconnected doing a simple repair on it. But I cannot find out why it
    > is doing this. All I can think of is maybe a service I turned off.??
    > Any suggestions?

    A service being turned off is not this problem.

    I would suspect that all you have to do is drop to the Command Prompt and
    enter IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to get the connection back
    again.

    > BTW.. All are running Netgear WG111 wireless usb adapters. This
    > problem does not occur when running something like a bittorrent
    > program that has more connections than just the simple file sharing
    > between computers.

    It is wireless and wireless is flakey at times. It could be anything a
    slight interference from some other network in the area could drop the
    connection; XP could be trying to make the card roam dropping the
    connection. It could a lot of things. That is why I like good old wire
    most of the time.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Piccolo

    Dickens Guest

    Piccolo <> wrote:

    >I have 3 computers all running XP Pro SP2. All have file sharing
    >turned on and all can access and send/revieve files. The problem I am
    >having is that whenever one computer tries to send a file (either sent
    >or trying to be retrieved) it disconnects the internet. It is easily
    >reconnected doing a simple repair on it. But I cannot find out why it
    >is doing this. All I can think of is maybe a service I turned off.??
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >BTW.. All are running Netgear WG111 wireless usb adapters. This
    >problem does not occur when running something like a bittorrent
    >program that has more connections than just the simple file sharing
    >between computers.

    Sounds like a changing of networks. Run ipconfig from a "command
    prompt" not a "dos prompt" mind you. WinXP is capable of running
    multiple networks similar to a router. It's made it very difficult by
    intuitively attempting to decide what you're seeking to do.

    Charles

    Dickens, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Piccolo

    Tony Guest

    "Piccolo" <> wrote in message
    >I have 3 computers all running XP Pro SP2. All have file sharing
    > turned on and all can access and send/revieve files. The problem I am
    > having is that whenever one computer tries to send a file (either sent
    > or trying to be retrieved) it disconnects the internet. It is easily
    > reconnected doing a simple repair on it. But I cannot find out why it
    > is doing this. All I can think of is maybe a service I turned off.??
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > BTW.. All are running Netgear WG111 wireless usb adapters. This
    > problem does not occur when running something like a bittorrent
    > program that has more connections than just the simple file sharing
    > between computers.

    I've had this happen when transferring a file and the DHCP lease has
    expired. The file transfer was using so much bandwidth that the PC couldn't
    connect to the DHCP server to renew the lease. The two PC's continued the
    transfer but ended up with private IP addresses in the 169.x.x.x range.

    Cured it by setting a longer period before the lease expires.

    Tony, Nov 9, 2005