    first time. From then on it's quick until you stop using it for a while, then
    you seem to need to make that initial connection again.

    Is this normal?

    Craig Shore, Sep 14, 2004

  2. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:52:08 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    says...
    > How long should it take between two computers running XP to bring up a list of
    > folders & files on a drive on the other computer?
    > At the moment it takes me about 20 seconds before it brings up the list the
    > first time. From then on it's quick until you stop using it for a while, then
    > you seem to need to make that initial connection again.
    >
    > Is this normal?

    I assume are you meaning the first time you log on at startup?

    It takes a few seconds for the computers to poll each other and find out
    what the shares are and so on. That is the fact of the SMB protocol that
    Microsoft uses.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    Ferg Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > How long should it take between two computers running XP to bring up a
    > list of
    > folders & files on a drive on the other computer?
    > At the moment it takes me about 20 seconds before it brings up the list
    > the
    > first time. From then on it's quick until you stop using it for a while,
    > then
    > you seem to need to make that initial connection again.

    CHeck out these links:

    http://v2.tlab404.com/articles/detail.asp?iFaq=316&iType=16

    http://www.tunexp.com/tips/communicate/slow_network_access_not_always_due_to_scheduled_tasks_check/

    I found that the method in the first link helped.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:40:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:52:08 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    >says...
    >> How long should it take between two computers running XP to bring up a list of
    >> folders & files on a drive on the other computer?
    >> At the moment it takes me about 20 seconds before it brings up the list the
    >> first time. From then on it's quick until you stop using it for a while, then
    >> you seem to need to make that initial connection again.
    >>
    >> Is this normal?

    >I assume are you meaning the first time you log on at startup?

    Nope, all the time.

    Craig Shore, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:14:24 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:40:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <> in nz.comp on
    >>Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:52:08 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    >>says...
    >>> How long should it take between two computers running XP to bring up a list of
    >>> folders & files on a drive on the other computer?
    >>> At the moment it takes me about 20 seconds before it brings up the list the
    >>> first time. From then on it's quick until you stop using it for a while, then
    >>> you seem to need to make that initial connection again.
    >>>
    >>> Is this normal?

    >>I assume are you meaning the first time you log on at startup?

    >Nope, all the time.

    I think i've figured out what it is... Sygate Personal Firewall. It's set up to
    allow local network neighbourhood, but for some reason it makes that initial
    connection to the other machine take 20 secs.

    Craig Shore, Sep 14, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > I think i've figured out what it is... Sygate Personal Firewall. It's set up to
    > allow local network neighbourhood, but for some reason it makes that initial
    > connection to the other machine take 20 secs.

    I use spf as well. I've not only set up the lan connection as trusted
    lan, but also made up an advanced rule for the same adapter, specifying
    the possible address range, and specifically allowing all ports and
    protocols for it.
    That has taken care of occasional 'issues' with shares and printing that
    I used to encounter. (although I am now thinking that most of the issues
    I was experiencing, were actually due to Pegasus Mail somehow not being
    very compatible with XP filesharing.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 15, 2004