    not unlocked when another app finished using it. How do I unlock the file
    manually, or otherwise get this error to go away, to allow me to install my
    scanner correctly?

    John Schutkeker, May 8, 2005

  2. John Schutkeker

    Swiss Tony Guest

    "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns965051D27348Dlkajehoriuasldfjknak@151.164.30.48...

    > I'm trying to install a scanner under XP-Pro, but I keep getting an error
    > saying that that the file MFC42.DLL is in use by another program, even
    > though nothing else is running. I assume that this is because the dll was
    > not unlocked when another app finished using it. How do I unlock the file
    > manually, or otherwise get this error to go away, to allow me to install

    my
    > scanner correctly?

    To unregister it:
    Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    Type, or copy and paste, the following text:
    regsvr32 /u "[path to .dll file]"
    where [path to .dll file] is the path and file name written in step 2d. An
    example would look like this:
    regsvr32 /u "c:\windows\system32\oo4.dll"
    Click OK.
    If a dialog box confirming this action appears, click OK.

    to re register it
    Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type:
    regsvr32 <path & filename of dll>

    Swiss Tony, May 8, 2005

  3. "Swiss Tony" <> wrote in

    > To unregister it:
    > Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    > Type, or copy and paste, the following text:
    > regsvr32 /u "[path to .dll file]"
    > where [path to .dll file] is the path and file name written in step
    > 2d. An example would look like this:
    > regsvr32 /u "c:\windows\system32\oo4.dll"
    > Click OK.
    > If a dialog box confirming this action appears, click OK.
    >
    > to re register it
    > Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type:
    > regsvr32 <path & filename of dll>

    It didn't work. The unregister step went ok, and I got a messgae saying
    that the file was successfully unregistered, but the scanner still gives me
    the same error message "MFC42.DLL is in use and cannot be installed."

    Any ideas what to try next?

    John Schutkeker, May 8, 2005
  4. John Schutkeker wrote:
    > "Swiss Tony" <> wrote in
    >
    >> To unregister it:
    >> Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    >> Type, or copy and paste, the following text:
    >> regsvr32 /u "[path to .dll file]"
    >> where [path to .dll file] is the path and file name written in step
    >> 2d. An example would look like this:
    >> regsvr32 /u "c:\windows\system32\oo4.dll"
    >> Click OK.
    >> If a dialog box confirming this action appears, click OK.
    >>
    >> to re register it
    >> Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type:
    >> regsvr32 <path & filename of dll>

    > It didn't work. The unregister step went ok, and I got a messgae
    > saying that the file was successfully unregistered, but the scanner
    > still gives me the same error message "MFC42.DLL is in use and cannot
    > be installed."
    >
    > Any ideas what to try next?

    We can only help adequately if you post the /exact/ error message you get,
    and which brand/model scanner you're trying to install. Also, have a look
    in your event viewer, and post the relative errors here.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MPV

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, May 8, 2005
  5. John Schutkeker

    Swiss Tony Guest

    > It didn't work. The unregister step went ok, and I got a messgae saying
    > that the file was successfully unregistered, but the scanner still gives

    me
    > the same error message "MFC42.DLL is in use and cannot be installed."
    >
    > Any ideas what to try next?

    do a search for the file, it maybe because there is a duplicate in another
    system folder.
    Unregister any duplicates as well.

    Swiss Tony, May 8, 2005
  6. "Swiss Tony" <> wrote in

    > do a search for the file, it maybe because there is a duplicate in
    > another system folder.
    > Unregister any duplicates as well.

    It worked like a charm. Thanks!

    John Schutkeker, May 11, 2005