XP Explorer Tree Anomoly

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil McKraken, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Somehow in my XP Pro SP1 setup, when I go to explorer, the first entry
    is my documents and it has contents of my c: drive there including my
    documents. Then below that is the computer name, and once expanded
    shows the C:\ with all the folders there again ! I have to click the +
    on both the computer name and the C to see the folders. How do I get
    explorer to open on the C:| set and eliminate the ones labeled my
    documents since there is already a my documents in c. I put a test
    file in a folder on c: and tried to delete it from the my documents
    (first entry) folder but it deleted it from there AND C: so I am
    afraid I will lose my programs and files If I simply delete.

    What is wrong is that the contents of C:\ are listed under my
    documents. Changing the target does no good.

    Tree looks like this:

    Desktop
    My Documents
    (Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents which ACTUALLY
    have my documents, i.e. word files etc., in them)
    COMPUTER NAME
    C:\Main
    (Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents)

    Anything deleted from the Desktop/My Documents Deletes off the HARD
    DRIVE completely !

    I am using my name as computer admin without pw or any guest accounts.
    Admin account does not show unless I type it in with a pw at logon,
    otherwise its not in the user accounts list.

    What did I do wrong !!??

    help. :)

    Phil McKraken, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Phil McKraken

    Harrison Guest

    You apparently upgraded from an older version of Windows which stored
    the My Documents folder at C:\My Documents.

    XP created a new My Documents folder for each user profile.
    Yours is found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents

    Copy the contents of C:\My Documents over to C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\My Documents.

    Delete C:\My Documents

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004

  3. but i cannot copy it that way.
    I store all my programs in folders in c:
    so i have in explorer

    Desktop
    My Documents
    Folders with all programs including windows, program files and my
    documents again
    THEN
    Computer Name
    C:
    and the same thing again

    anything I delet from the mydocuments folders at the top are erased
    off the drive

    so I can't copy them because it will prompt with the exists/overwrite
    ? prompt. it seems there are 2 sets somehow.

    Phil McKraken, Jan 30, 2004