XP explorer and Pioneer 108 problem, please help

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ayosha, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. ayosha

    ayosha Guest

    Hi,

    I replaced old LG4040 dvd writer with Pioneer 108, with
    original current firmware 1.14. It is installed as IDE solo
    master drive.

    I have no problems burning Verbatim 4X DVD medium using
    Nero6.6, as DVDvideo and DVDROM. Haven't tried burning CDRs in
    Pioneer yet.

    Hovewer MS Windows explorer doesn't see Pioneer as a drive to
    be explored. I had no such problem with LG.

    The drive leter is there, media title is there but I cannot see
    the contents of the disk.

    If I use ACDSEE browser or ExplorerXP I can access and browse
    the contents of a CD and DVD disk in Pioneer 108.

    I have XP SP1 with some other more recent upgrades but not SP2.

    In Device Manager I have
    "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CDrom device"
    "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108"
    "PLEXTOR CD-R PW-W4824A SCSI CDrom DEVICE"

    Generic unit has its own drive letter although there is no
    hardware behind it. I disabled it but it made no difference to
    the Pioneer situation only that drive lettter dissapeared.

    Is this a known MS bug? Can it be fixed?

    Thanks
    ayosha
    ayosha, Nov 8, 2004

  2. ayosha

    recursor Guest

    "ayosha" <> wrote in message
    <snip pioneer problems>

    Dunno if this is gonna help much but I had the same probs with a (different) Pioneer drive once. The
    thing is that when I removed and then plugged back in the ide cable windoze explorer would be able
    to see the contents of the drive ok for about two weeks and then I would have to unplug it
    again...weird, almost as if was being redetected by the O.S. except that (obviously) the computer
    was turned off when I reconnected it.
    There are also rumours that pioneer regionalize their firmware for these drives so you could look at
    that too. Otherwise do what some of the peeps at cdfreaks do and bin it.
    recursor, Nov 9, 2004

  3. ayosha

    ayosha Guest

    Thanks,

    Bin what, XP, MS Explorer or Pioneer? It burns OK and all is
    visible and useable in other programs only MS Explorer doesn't
    want to play.

    ayosha, Nov 9, 2004
  4. ayosha

    recursor Guest

    "ayosha" <> wrote in message
    Thanks,

    >Bin what, XP, MS Explorer or Pioneer? It burns OK and all is
    >visible and useable in other programs only MS Explorer doesn't
    >want to play.

    It was just a throwaway comment. Try replacing the 80 way IDE cable is a more serious suggestion.
    recursor, Nov 9, 2004
  5. ayosha

    ayosha Guest

    Yeah, it was read as a joke.

    If it was just a bad cable why are other programs managing to
    operate Pioneer without the problem, like Nero, PowerDVD,
    ACDSee, ExplorerXP... I burned quite a few DVDs and DVDRoms and
    no coasters. The only program that so far has problems with
    Pioneer 108 is MS Windows Explorer.

    I just realised that some individual XP updates I did now
    belong to SP2. That was done some time in the spring, and
    LG4040 I had then wasn't affected by that.

    Any more ideas anybody?

    Thanks

    ayosha, Nov 10, 2004