    I get the same result when I use other drives.

    Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?

    Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points
    John, Jan 19, 2006

  2. John

    Tony Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Have two drives, 128GB Maxtor and a 40GB Maxtor, when I boot into Windows
    > XP with the 128GB one it doesn't see the slave. No icon in My computer and
    > no slave listed in Device Manager or Disk Management, cable and jumper
    > settings are all okay.
    >
    > I know the slave works because I changed it to master and installed XP on
    > it and when I use Knoppix or other boot utilities such as Acronis True
    > Image it shows up fine.
    >
    > I get the same result when I use other drives.
    >

    > Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?
    >

    > Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points

    Does you existing hard drive have two different options for being a master -
    i.e. one for being a single drive and one for being a master with slave? If
    so have you changed it to the latter?

    Is the drive seen in the BIOS as a slave?

    Does the POST hang for a while when it tries to find it?

    Have you tried putting it as slave on the second IDE channel just to see if
    it works?

    Does it appear in disk management?
    Tony, Jan 19, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Have two drives, 128GB Maxtor and a 40GB Maxtor, when I boot into Windows
    >> XP with the 128GB one it doesn't see the slave. No icon in My computer and
    >> no slave listed in Device Manager or Disk Management, cable and jumper
    >> settings are all okay.
    >>
    >> I know the slave works because I changed it to master and installed XP on
    >> it and when I use Knoppix or other boot utilities such as Acronis True
    >> Image it shows up fine.
    >>
    >> I get the same result when I use other drives.
    >>

    >> Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?
    >>

    >> Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points

    > Does you existing hard drive have two different options for being a master -
    > i.e. one for being a single drive and one for being a master with slave? If
    > so have you changed it to the latter?

    Master, slave and cable select, set as master.

    > Is the drive seen in the BIOS as a slave?

    Yes.

    > Does the POST hang for a while when it tries to find it?

    Nope

    > Have you tried putting it as slave on the second IDE channel just to see if
    > it works?

    Yes, same result

    > Does it appear in disk management?

    Nope.
    John, Jan 19, 2006
  4. John

    Ron Martell Guest

    "John" <> wrote:

    >Have two drives, 128GB Maxtor and a 40GB Maxtor, when I boot into Windows XP
    >with the 128GB one it doesn't see the slave. No icon in My computer and no
    >slave listed in Device Manager or Disk Management, cable and jumper settings
    >are all okay.
    >
    >I know the slave works because I changed it to master and installed XP on it
    >and when I use Knoppix or other boot utilities such as Acronis True Image it
    >shows up fine.
    >
    >I get the same result when I use other drives.
    >

    >Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?
    >

    >Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points

    Change the jumper on the 40 gb drive to "Master" and connect it to the
    secondary IDE controller. Disconnect anything else on the secondary
    IDE controller, at least temporarily.

    Boot the computer and see if the drive is now being detected.

    If not go into the BIOS setup and use the "autodetect hard drives"
    option if it is present and ensure that the secondary slave drive is
    detected correctly. Then boot back into Windows again.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jan 19, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:23:44 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Have two drives, 128GB Maxtor and a 40GB Maxtor, when I boot into Windows XP
    >>with the 128GB one it doesn't see the slave. No icon in My computer and no
    >>slave listed in Device Manager or Disk Management, cable and jumper settings
    >>are all okay.
    >>
    >>I know the slave works because I changed it to master and installed XP on it
    >>and when I use Knoppix or other boot utilities such as Acronis True Image it
    >>shows up fine.
    >>
    >>I get the same result when I use other drives.
    >>

    >>Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?
    >>

    >>Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points
    >>

    >Change the jumper on the 40 gb drive to "Master" and connect it to the
    >secondary IDE controller. Disconnect anything else on the secondary
    >IDE controller, at least temporarily.
    >
    >Boot the computer and see if the drive is now being detected.
    >
    >If not go into the BIOS setup and use the "autodetect hard drives"
    >option if it is present and ensure that the secondary slave drive is
    >detected correctly. Then boot back into Windows again.

    Nothing wrong with the drive, it's XP that's not detecting it.
    John, Jan 19, 2006
  6. John

    Tony Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> "John" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have two drives, 128GB Maxtor and a 40GB Maxtor, when I boot into
    >>> Windows
    >>> XP with the 128GB one it doesn't see the slave. No icon in My computer
    >>> and
    >>> no slave listed in Device Manager or Disk Management, cable and jumper
    >>> settings are all okay.
    >>>
    >>> I know the slave works because I changed it to master and installed XP
    >>> on
    >>> it and when I use Knoppix or other boot utilities such as Acronis True
    >>> Image it shows up fine.
    >>>
    >>> I get the same result when I use other drives.
    >>>

    >>> Any ideas how to get XP to see the slave other than a reinstall?
    >>>

    >>> Using XP Pro SP2, all the updates and no system restore points

    >> Does you existing hard drive have two different options for being a
    >> master -
    >> i.e. one for being a single drive and one for being a master with slave?
    >> If
    >> so have you changed it to the latter?

    > Master, slave and cable select, set as master.
    >
    >> Is the drive seen in the BIOS as a slave?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Does the POST hang for a while when it tries to find it?

    > Nope
    >
    >> Have you tried putting it as slave on the second IDE channel just to see
    >> if
    >> it works?

    > Yes, same result
    >
    >> Does it appear in disk management?
    >>

    > Nope.

    Sorry, you answered some of those questions in your original post. Must
    admit I am a bit stumped - only other things I can think of is either the
    Ide driver is corrupt but if you have two optical drives on the second
    channel, it probably rules that out. You could see if there is an updated
    IDE driver - SIS drivers are at http://www.sis.com/download/ or Via at
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&OSID=1 . Belarc adviser
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) should tell you what chipset you
    have if you don't have the info to hand.

    Only other thing I can think of is plug and play isn't detecting it (but
    that is somewhat contra'd by the fact it detects it as a master). You could
    check in add/remove hardware in control panel to see if it appears there and
    allows you to install it.

    Incidentally, I have a similar set up - 120GB master and 40gb slave on this
    PC. Have had problems with the 40GB for ages. HD health keep alerting me
    to problems and advises that failure is imminent. I installed the VIA IDE
    Accelerator Driver yesterday and it has made a big difference - errors
    usually pop up overnight and so far (touch wood) no errors at all. So
    perhaps XP does have a flaw in it.
    Tony, Jan 19, 2006
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:39:58 -0000, "Tony" <> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does you existing hard drive have two different options for being a
    >>> master -
    >>> i.e. one for being a single drive and one for being a master with slave?
    >>> If
    >>> so have you changed it to the latter?

    >> Master, slave and cable select, set as master.
    >>
    >>> Is the drive seen in the BIOS as a slave?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Does the POST hang for a while when it tries to find it?

    >> Nope
    >>
    >>> Have you tried putting it as slave on the second IDE channel just to see
    >>> if
    >>> it works?

    >> Yes, same result
    >>
    >>> Does it appear in disk management?
    >>>

    >> Nope.
    >>

    >Sorry, you answered some of those questions in your original post. Must
    >admit I am a bit stumped - only other things I can think of is either the
    >Ide driver is corrupt but if you have two optical drives on the second
    >channel, it probably rules that out. You could see if there is an updated
    >IDE driver - SIS drivers are at http://www.sis.com/download/ or Via at
    >http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&OSID=1 . Belarc adviser
    >(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) should tell you what chipset you
    >have if you don't have the info to hand.
    >
    >Only other thing I can think of is plug and play isn't detecting it (but
    >that is somewhat contra'd by the fact it detects it as a master). You could
    >check in add/remove hardware in control panel to see if it appears there and
    >allows you to install it.

    Sorted the problem with a fresh reinstall of XP.

    Now to backup an image of it before it happens again. :0)
    John, Jan 19, 2006